Poll

do you carry a knife and if so what kind?

yes
53 (96.4%)
no
2 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: carry knifes  (Read 4261 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
carry knifes
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:28:06 AM »
i do and right now i have a boot draggier that was made in Pakistan that i carry a lot.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Mohawk

Re: carry knifes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:35:43 AM »
   Worthless......the legalities of carrying a long bladed weapon are severe even with a CCW license, they don't uniformally  include daggers or knives. Forget the knife. That is why the legal carrying of firearms were created....

Offline TGFOGAL

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
Usual a folder with just under 4" blade, with belt clip.
I use a knife all the time as a tool. It is keep very sharp.
It doesn't take a long blade to defend your self.

Offline Gary paugh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »
I carry a spyderco folder have for years.

Offline KN

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 02:00:53 PM »
If I have room for a knife, I think I'll carry an extra mag instead.    KN

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:57:40 PM »
I carry a kershaw assisted opening knife in both front pockets.  A knife is an incredible weapon if your assailant gets in on you and particularly if they have taken you to the ground.  It is not a replacement for a firearm it is just another tool in the tool box for when things have not gone well.  But as TGFOGAL pointed out you don't need a real long blade for defense, actually when you are in the envelope where the knife is most effective a long blade can be a liability rather than an asset.  A 3 to 4 inch blade is plenty, it just has to be easy to get to and easy to get into action.  For those of you who don't carry a knife, do not underestimate the threat posed by a knife wielding assailant if they get close they will take you out if they even have an idea about what they are doing.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
 i carry an stihl woodsman knife .. could be used for defence ,,but im no knife fighter unless i just cant get outa harms way..i feel like if he s got a knife when he attacks me.. he may have made a very critical mistake.. brought a knife to a gun fight.. :)

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 05:56:13 PM »
I carry 2 knives almost constantly.  One is the ever present Leatherman Tool, old style and the other is Swiss Army Adventurer.  I like the tweezers for splinters and use the tooth pick.  This is not your standard Swiss Army knife.  This is the 4" lock back single blade, awl and phillips screwdriver on the back side, and flat blade bottle opener, and the last blade is the can opener.  Between the 2 of them, I'm fairly prepared for light maintanance or mechanical problems that can be easily fixed.  I use them daily.  One of my pet peeves, is a dull knife and I keep mine razor sharp.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
schrade old timer does'nt have a lot of knock down power and range is limited
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
I carry the "assisted opening" Kershaw folder deveolped by Ken Onion. It is slim, easy to carry, and quick for one handed opening. I open boxes all day long with my job and it keeps an edge. Of course, it isn't my primary self-defense weapon, but it's always there in case.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
the boot knife only 4'' long so it legal here in FL( i checked) i also have a butterfly knife and i carry a 3 1/2' steel folder outdoor life from when i was 13 to even now, they have done there job well. yeah i know gun is better then knife but i hear that withen 7 yards the knife will win. I don't like assisted opening knifes cause they seem like something they you would get locked up for. Oh yeah they just pass a law here were you can have your gun at work now(in the car).
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 03:42:37 PM »
  Within 7 yards a knife will win?? Don't bring a knife to a gunfight........

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »
I usually carry my leatherman and my Smith and Wesson SWAT knife. I have had the swat for several years and have not found anything to beat it for the money.
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 06:10:52 AM »
I usually carry my leatherman and my Smith and Wesson SWAT knife. I have had the swat for several years and have not found anything to beat it for the money.

OK, i see your point about knife vs. guns but that what i was told by a cop that got a pocket knife to he chest from someone that was cuffed( he had a knife in he shirt).  But a knife is a tool that gets used alot, my little knife has been used from everything from kill a snake to fight off someone in a city park(i pulled it out and he didn't want any of that and ran off).  here some pic's of a butterfly knife

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »
I carry a 4" folder every day.  Multiple uses at work, luckily haven't needed it for self defense yet but it remains razor sharp in case it' s needed. 
By the way.....
Jamaldog - you say you live in Florida......if you have a CCW then you are ok carrying a fixed blade boot knife.   If you  do not have a CCW and you are carrying in your boot or pocket anything other than an "common pocket knife", you will be in violation of FSS 790.01, a first degree misdemeanor (1 yr in jail/$1000 fine).   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 05:09:49 AM »
I don't know how anyone could get through a day without a pocket knife, as I type this I have a Swiss Army Knife in a scabbard on my belt and a thin, light weight Sharde single blade in my pants pocket, mainly for opening mail and cleaning my finger nails. :)
 I don't usually carry a knife for defense but I certainly do see plenty of use for one. Some here seem to have the notion of fighting a duel with an attacker, standing off twenty yards, emptying a high cap mag and slapping in another. That is Hollywood or shooting games, not personal defence. If you really need a weapon to defend yourself you can bet the distance will be very short. Most personal defence situations do occur within knife range, often with some physical scuffling involved. Those who sneer at the idea of defending themselves with a knife are very likely to find they have made the mistake of bringing a gun to a knife fight!
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:06:38 AM »
One of the first things that goes in my pocket after putting my pants on is my trusty ole Buck.  I don't necessarily consider it a defensive weapon, but it is a necessary tool and gets used several times most days for some task.  I also carry a multiple purpose knife in the pickup drivers door panel all the time.

I guess either could be used is the situation warranted, at my age,  I usually try to avoid putting myself in a position where I would have to rely on protecting myself with it................that is why I carry a firearm.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 01:37:11 PM »
I'm very seldom without my Buck 110 on my belt, so I feel naked without it.  Starting when I was about seven years of age my dad used to rib me unmercifully if he found that I wasn't carrying a pocket knife.  That included to school and back, my how times have changed.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »
Curtis.  That reminded me, driving home home after my daily reading session at an elementary school, I noticed a ratchet with a socket attached laying in the middle of the road.  I pulled over and went back to retrieve it.  What I found was a Craftsman 3/8 driver ratchet with a 1/2 inch deep socket, laying nest to it was a Buck 110.  The knife was in excellent shape, it had a couple of marks from being run over and pressed against the road surface.  There was no sheath, but I bet I can find one at a gun show for a few dollars.  Sop I guess I have two in the door pocket of my truck.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 05:00:41 PM »
I carry the 4 inch Ken Onion Blackout by Kershaw.  It's a wonderful knife and I can open it with one hand in a hurry if I need to, only had occasion to do that one time though.  Mostly it opens boxes and cuts stuff at work or cleans my fingernails.  Gets used a lot during deer season too.  It's with me any time I have my pants on.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 05:06:24 PM »
  7 ft in a knife is better.. i gotta disagree ..  the knock dn bullet is more sure and can t be parried by the hands..jmo

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 05:14:51 PM »
Another vote for the Kershaw assisted open knife, the Blur model. No CCW in WI. Carry the Kershaw 100% of my waking hours, a million uses.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 04:50:43 AM »
Folks, I am not saying to leave your handgun at home and only carry your trusty pocket knife, but is seems a lot of people are underestimating the damage that a determined attacker can do with a knife and how quickly they can do it.  Please don't because it can get you killed.  I have seen people that have basically been field dressed in just seconds, had it happened in the operating room they couldn't have been saved.  I doubt that there are few of you who could from 7 yards get a hit from a surprise start on a determined attacker before they could stab you.  This is not to put down your abilities because obviously I don't know what they are but I have done tests with people of known ability from novice to very skilled (some with multiple real world gun fight victories) and from a surprise start very few are able to draw and get hits on target before the attacker is on them.  This was done with simunitions FX ammuniton and their regular carry gear to make it a more valid test.  Plus they knew what was going to happen just not the exact instant.  Remember reaction is always slower than action and it really doesn't take long to cover 7 yards most can do it in about a second.  Well if you can cover 7 yards in a second and the average reaction time is somewhere around a half second, as you can see that leaves very little time to do what you need to do and your reaction time will obviously be longer if you are taken by surprise.  This is why it is important to take the threat of a knife seriously and train for it.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
I carry a 4" folder every day.  Multiple uses at work, luckily haven't needed it for self defense yet but it remains razor sharp in case it' s needed. 
By the way.....
Jamaldog - you say you live in Florida......if you have a CCW then you are ok carrying a fixed blade boot knife.   If you  do not have a CCW and you are carrying in your boot or pocket anything other than an "common pocket knife", you will be in violation of FSS 790.01, a first degree misdemeanor (1 yr in jail/$1000 fine).   

yeah, your right about that. I will just used it when i go fishing or hunting then. The cop did tell me something that was very good. he told me a 3 1/2 pocket knife is a very good sizes for just about everything one would need.  A dagger good for fight yes but it's hard to hide, a butterfly knife alright but most have poor locks on them and will open up and cut you.  He carrys a EK desert patrol jr or a SOG Trident for work. He told me you have been carrying that outdoor knife for years and it done with you asked so what else do you need.

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 03:50:39 PM »
Coldsteel voyager or my spyderco i can't carry a pistol and i work at a gun store go figure ??? Company BS so when some crackhead comes in a sticks up the place and i have 400 plus guns i can't use.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2008, 11:30:25 AM »
Coldsteel voyager or my spyderco i can't carry a pistol and i work at a gun store go figure ??? Company BS so when some crackhead comes in a sticks up the place and i have 400 plus guns i can't use.

yeah, i know about that. I work at publix  and they had me working to 12am at night and i can't have anything on me and i have to walk 1 mile home?? do you think i can use my boot dagger for hunting or fishing?

Offline plottrunner

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
I carry an Old Timer 3 blade pocket knife every where I go but I don't think Ive ever thought of it as a weapon.. more like a tool.  If im going to protect myself im going to use my 9mm makarov or my kel tec 40sw I never leave home without one or the other.....

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
Curtis.  That reminded me, driving home home after my daily reading session at an elementary school, I noticed a ratchet with a socket attached laying in the middle of the road.  I pulled over and went back to retrieve it.  What I found was a Craftsman 3/8 driver ratchet with a 1/2 inch deep socket, laying nest to it was a Buck 110.  The knife was in excellent shape, it had a couple of marks from being run over and pressed against the road surface.  There was no sheath, but I bet I can find one at a gun show for a few dollars.  Sop I guess I have two in the door pocket of my truck.

Rockbilly, my best road find was a machete stamped "Disston U.S. 1943" on the blade.  I happened to hear vehicles running over it while pumping gas in my truck back around '81 so I walked out in the street and picked it up.  Very hard steel, takes and keeps a keen edge.  I've lopped off 1 1/4 inch branches at a swipe with it.  Not exactly a carry knife though, LOL.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 12:00:03 PM »
very nice.

Offline weasel

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 02:01:48 PM »
Who in their right mind doesn't put pants on without a Leatherman? Also carry a Gerber pocket clip that uses the replacement utility blades, the whole thing is about the size of 2 sticks of gum, also a leatherman micra and a small Swiss army knife with the tweezers and toothpick. None of which would be very handy in a knife fight.