Author Topic: Rattlesnake bite!  (Read 615 times)

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
Rattlesnake bite!
« on: April 14, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »

This kid’s story speaks for itself.

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/

If you have a weak stomach just read the story.  You need to click on the picture section to get those.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline victorcharlie

Re: Rattlesnake bite!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:18:27 PM »
I knew there was a reason I don't like those critters......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
Glad we don't have those things here.  Was never really fond of them.  Guys used to laugh at me for wearing snake-proof boots when living in Arizona.  I took one fellow to the hosp after being bite by a rattler.  He was lucky we got him there within 10 minutes.  No serious damage to him.  After seeing this don't think I want to move back down south, thank you.

I think we are the only state that don't have snakes.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 04:44:04 AM »
OUCH! They have rattle snakes in southern Illinois where I go hunting but I've never been there except for in the winter and they're not around then.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 02:01:59 PM »
I saw one once here in MO.  Little bitty thing, it was sunning it's self on a rock along a bluff.  It saw me and skedaddled.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »
We used to shoot those things off the rocks in the Colorado Rockies with our 22s, way back in the mid-60s.  We would wait until the sun came up and they would crawl out into the sunlight to get warm and we would get them dead.  You just had to watch out which set of rocks you picked to set up on because the snakes would come right up next to you.  We ate the meat and sold the skins.  It wasn't all that profitable but it was good for beer money on campus. I don't think I would want to do that now - I get stiffer'n they do in the morning and don't move half as fast................ Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:18:37 PM »
That is a hell-of-a-story, I can feel for this kid.  I have never been bit, but have experienced many close calls.  I have killed snakes that went well over five feet on my place, and always carry a model 60 .357 loaded with my special snake loads every time I go out.  

This area is know for large numbers of snakes as evidenced by the number caught and killed each year at the Swetwater Rattlesnake Round Up.  (Sweetwater TX)  This event usually takes palace in March of each year, and is worth the trip (at least one time) if you have never been there.

A friend was bit on the hand in the fleshy part between the thumb and pointing (nose picking) finger several years ago.  The first thing he did was open another beer, then submerged his hand in the icy water in the cooler and drove himself to the hospital.  Both things you should never do to a bite.  DON'T drink any kind of alcohol beverage, and NEVER put ice on a snake bite.  His recovery was much faster than the young man here, but still required extensive physical therapy.  When he went into the hospital they operated on him immediately, it was less than a hour after the bite.

An acquaintance that worked for a construction company doing work at old Fort Chadborn (South of Abilene) went out one Sunday afternoon to move a D-8 out of a creek bed following a sever weather threat.  He took his four year old son with him, and when he arrived at the place the Cat was located he took his son out and sat him on the tracks of the Cat, he crawled up, and was attempting to start a pony engine when he was bit on the end of the thumb.  The snakes teeth were stuck and he could not get the snake off,  He grabbed the snake with his other hand and bit the head off, picked his son up and put him back in the truck and drove about 35 miles back to Abilene to the hospital, he almost lost his arm.  

You hear all kinds of stories, but one thing for sure, I hope I am never in the position to relate a personal snake bite tale to you!

Offline wgr

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 07:15:57 PM »
here in southern Indiana were i live the things are protected buy law  they even turned a few breeding rattlers loose awhile back.  go figure
never to much gun

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 01:57:08 AM »
I think they are protected by law here in Bama as well but then I've not yet seen any law enforcement folks hiding behind a bush at the time I came across a rattlesnake and that's the only way they're gonna know if/when I kill one. I do not suffer poisonous snakes or spiders to live if I come across them. PERIOD!

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!