Author Topic: New barrels now, or later?  (Read 760 times)

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
New barrels now, or later?
« on: April 15, 2008, 03:26:36 PM »
I had planned on getting some new barrels for the handi sometime around the beginning of next year but due to the recent change of ownership of h&r have been thinking about going ahead and doing in now. Only problem is I am using it a lot right now and will be to the end of the year. I really don't want to be without my handi for a month or longer. However I am wondering about the quality of barrels and fitting if I wait till next year. Just wanted some opinions on what be the better option sending them in now or if it would be ok to wait till later like I planned. I know it's hard to tell right now but will the quality drop or stay the same? Any thoughts would help thanks.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: New barrels now, or later?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 04:30:46 AM »
I don't see any quality drop ...how could it. I look for it to improve hopefully they will start putting a smoother finish on the barrels instead of the rough light bluing we get right now. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:37:40 AM »
The dilemma of tying up your rifle for additional barrels is not unusual.  Perhaps you could locate a used model in a caliber you desire. Often you can find used ones for not much more than the cost of a new barrel and shipping.  Not only would you trim your list, but that would give you two frames.  Then, you would not be empty handed while one is in being fitted for additional barrels.

If you cannot find a used one in your area in a caliber you want, post a "want to buy or WTB" add in the classified section.  You never know what you will find.   ;)

I agree with PHATINJUN.  Although we will not know for sure until the new barrels come out, I would think it unlikely that Remington would not want to improve or at least maintain the current level of quality.  Any improvement(s) would probably lead to increased prices, but that may occur regardless.

:)

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
I don't think a company that has been around and built a reputation for as long as Remington has would have a problem putting a quality finish on a barrel, or even improve the present barrels that they produce.

They have surely mastered the process for as long as they have been in business, and even a slight increase in price would be well worth it for a precise fit and finish!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
I have a few of the older bbl and frames from the early 1970's and at one time H&R put a very exceptable finish and bluing on thier steel even on some of the accessories for the old muzzle loaders had great bluing on them. I would be happy to smooth a couple out that I have if I knew I could get them to give it the 5 star bluing  But with the stuff they are doing right now I'd rather spray it myself. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:03:11 PM »
Yeah that is true the bluing sure isn't the greatest, just hope like everybody else they keep building them here and not in China or Russia.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 03:31:47 PM »
 I don't mean to be a pessimist guys but I am sending in a frame for a new barrel and ordering a bunch of parts I need now. As has been said, "a bird in the hand" now is better than being empty handed later. And if things work out well I can always order something else later. I just do not see the new Remington Customer Service being anywhere as good or competent as what we have now in Gardner, those people are GREAT. As we all know they are what make these guns so good, for without them how many of us would bother with these guns? Sure we all know even our new H&R/NEF may need "tweaking" at times but we also know if there is something drastically wrong with our gun that we cannot fix ourselves that those fine overworked people at CS will stand behind their product 110% and make it right. I cannot see how Remington (Cerberus) can possibly keep up to the fine standards of service and customer satisfaction we have in CS right now under the leadership of Gordon. He and his fine staff, Jennifer, Mary, John when he was there, (and another woman who's name escapes me right now, sorry) are who really makes these fine little guns what they are. Their work and dedication to the product is outstanding. To think they may be displaced or released is a travesty....<><....;)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:46:10 AM »
MSP Ret, I think her name is Vanessa.  I have talked with her several times and have enjoyed our chats.  Those CS people do take good care of us.  I don't need another barrel but I have been looking through the list and might have to order another couple of barrels myself and a few parts.  This sure is an expensive addiction.  And the Remington Consolidation situation is like telling a junkie that his dealer is moving out of town.  I hope I don't get the shakes.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:17 AM »
I wrote a personal letter to Tommy Millner, CEO of Remington, expressing my wishes that Remington continue the barrel program for the H&R and in fact step it up by using Remington's technology and engineering to give us truly universal fit after market barrels with Flawless ejection/extraction, while maintaining the economical nature of the rifle. If initial fit  and finish can be engineered properly, any frame should fit any barrel. It would mean no expensive hand fitting by the factory, and would mean no sending in frames and handguards,  keeping price of barrels the same or a little higher without the factory having to expend labor hours would be beneficial to all.

I urge all interested to write Remington Arms, specifically,
Remington Arms Co.
Attn: Tommy Millner, CEO
Box 700
Madison, NC 27025-0700

Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 04:00:29 PM »
Great job Tackleberry, we should all follow you inspired lead. Those letters are what, if anything, can make a difference. I applaud your efforts and hope others will do the same....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley