Author Topic: paint job on a NEF ... not horrable but bad..lol  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
paint job on a NEF ... not horrable but bad..lol
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »
OK ,   i went from tape and tape residue to this... lol

don't look like i wanted it to .lol

any suggestions on how to make a better camo pattern?
i just kinda splashed here and there.. think ill sand it lightly and try again..lol

picture 1 is what it looked like after i removed the tape and residue ... picture 2 is finished for now ..lol   

btw hopps number 9 gun cleaner got the residue off rather nice..

repainted this to make it look like this..

I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: paint job on a NEF ... not horrable but bad..lol
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:25:21 AM »
you might try this, after putting on a solid base coat and it is dry, lay a couple  leaves, ferns, even small twigs (just get then from the woods, nothing special, I like oak or maple leaves) on the gun and then lightly spray another contrasting paint over the leaves and/or ferns, when dry remove the leaves /ferns  and you have a nice camo design for the woods. You can try a third color if you want but I do not like it to "busy". Good luck, and perhaps practice on a piece of cardboard or paper first, I think that is the best thing to do....<><....:)

P.S. - I think I may have read to start with a lighter base color first (light gray, tan, or greenish?) and than after putting the patterning material on (leaves, ferns, twigs) use the darker color.
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:22 PM »
heres what i did to mine its just a pic of the forearm cause now the forearms on my ultra varmint. what i did was clean the entire gun with rubbing alcohol tape off what you don't want painted i used i think flat green krylon fusion let it dry for an hour or so then went over it with krylon(i think) black webbing.
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z290/satchel3006/?action=view&current=PICT0003-2.jpg
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z290/satchel3006/?action=view&current=PICT0002-3.jpg
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z290/satchel3006/?action=view&current=PICT0002-3.jpg
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 02:38:40 AM »
HS

A few tips that will help , first  decide if you want a generic camo or if you want to tailor it for a detacated type of hunting , like marsh waterfowl hunting or woodland tree rats . Most start with lighter colors and work out with darker , I do it the other way around to get better fadeing at the edges .

First start with a solid base color to match the area you will use the gun in , avoid Red & Blue as both show up as game colors and people do shoot at color without seeing the whole target .

You can do as Andy said and use leaf's and sticks for a pattern , or as 45 did with the webbing style , i have copied leaf parrerns from the Internet and cut them out to make a stencel before too .

If you deside to start over , just hit the whole thing with some 240 grit sand paper lightly to allow the new paint to stick and go from there . take a look in the CF forum FAQs under painting a Handi , there are some step by step pics of a Marlin that i did a few years ago .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »
Try this........ Put down a base color of your choice... Then take a natural sponge and tear some smaller pieces from it.....then dip them one by one in your chosen color's... LIGHTLY touch them to the stock...sploch it up..dont move it from side to side while touching...this will cause smear's wait for the color to dry a little before moving on to the next.... Then if you wish ..when your done use a satin finish clear cote.... I have done this several time's before...I call it "Hillbilly Camo"....You will be surprised how well it works. Drop

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:05:30 PM »
Saw a post were a guy used an ace bandage cameo wrap. you know the wrap that sticks to itself looked really good and it can be removed with no mess left.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 02:49:45 PM »
  I like it actually. It has that Eddie Van Halen guitar look. I have painted some that have been much worse.

Offline Hunter_Smurf

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
i repainted it this week.. it is now a green with black stripes..lol  looks a lot better in my eyes.. and it should blend better in the shadows i try to hunt out of..lol ill post pics tomorrow night.. thanks for all the input i may do another when i get feeling better...
I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing with you,
                             Your just not laughing.......

Ever notice the deer we get is always smaller
                              than the deer we saw..??.lol

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
   I know what you mean. Though the red has it's benefits, such as the fall change of leaves. Adds a splash of color too! Well, keep it up and if you paint one that is red with black and red stripes, and the numbers "5150" on the stock let me know, I would buy it!!!!! True Van Halen fan here.......

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »
I would bet that there has been more home camo jobs done on NEFs than any other shotgun...Doesn't seem to hurt too bad when you are painting up a $120 shotgun and you make a mistake...Sand it off and start over again...I don't think many would try this on their higher priced guns.  

FWIW, if you were to do a Eddie VanHalen shotgun, I would be interested too...Love that look.  

[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_lwocmL9dQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_lwocmL9dQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/yt]
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense