Author Topic: Bruised bullets - what do you do?  (Read 695 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Bruised bullets - what do you do?
« on: April 16, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Bullets without the plastic tips get bruised in the magazines of most bolt rifles.  Each day I go afield, I try to pack my rifle with "new" bullets.  After a few years of this, I find that I'm left with alot of bruised bullets. 

If I'm shooting targets for sighting in, I want perfect bullets.  The same goes for hunting. 

Am I too finicky. 

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Bruised bullets - what do you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
Shoot em up. Use them for practice.  I have found that minor deformation of the tip due to the magazine has very little effect upon hunting grade accuracy. I am talking about being able to hold a 3 inch group at 100 yards not sub moa bench rest accuracy.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:36:43 AM »
ditto b.p.bill.   I shoot them at targets with no ill effects.  I use them on game with no ill effects.   I suspect lead head bullets that deform in the magazine are "air sculpted" by aerodynamic and rotational forces.  Regardless, for distances out to the "extreme range" for many of us (say 250 yards), they are the same as "pristine" bullets.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:17:57 AM »
I've read a couple of studies that addressed hunting ammo that had been battered in the magazine.  The results was that there is no real world effect on the accuracy of the bullets.  This was damage from the ogive forward to the tip.  They went so far as to damage the tips of the bullets with a pair of pliars without effect. I can't remember at what distance these test were run but I was pretty surprised by the results.
If the damage was behind the ogive, it did have an effect.