Author Topic: Phoenix Mayor Asks FBI to Check Sheriff  (Read 745 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Phoenix Mayor Asks FBI to Check Sheriff
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »
http://www.newsmax.com/us/immigration_sweeps/2008/04/13/87580.html?s=sp&promo_code=4956-1

PHOENIX -- The mayor wants the FBI to investigate whether the local county sheriff has violated any civil rights laws with his recent high-profile crackdowns on illegal immigrants.

The "saturation patrols" have drawn protests from civil rights and immigrant-rights advocates, but they have drawn support from backers of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and from people who believe the government hasn't done enough against illegal immigration.

In an April 4 letter to U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey, Mayor Phil Gordon asked the agency and the Justice Department's civil rights division to examine what he called discriminatory harassment and improper stops, searches, and arrests by sheriff's deputies in Maricopa County, which encompasses the metropolitan area.

"Over the past few weeks, Sheriff Arpaio's actions have infringed on the civil rights of our residents," Gordon wrote. "They have put our residents' well-being, and the well-being of law enforcement officers, at risk."

Justice Department officials said they would review Gordon's letter but declined to comment further.

Arpaio said it's ironic that Gordon wrote the letter the same day U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials observed his deputies arresting residents and illegal immigrants in the town of Guadalupe and approved of the sheriff's work.

"I think the mayor is disconnected from the people he represents and he doesn't get the point," Arpaio said Saturday. "Now he's going to Washington to confuse the issue and try to get the public against me."

The mayor "is degrading my office and my deputies by insinuating that they're violating all these civil laws. We don't profile," the sheriff said.

In the past month, sheriff's deputies and trained volunteers have gone into neighborhoods with large Hispanic populations, stopping people for routine traffic violations and asking some of them about their immigration status. Dozens of illegal immigrants have been detained.

ICE officials say Arpaio is not violating the formal agreement he has with their office that allows sheriff's deputies to enforce immigration laws.

Last week, the Arizona Ecumenical Council and American Jewish Committee issued a joint letter saying the patrols "evoked a 'police state' atmosphere" and led to "detainment on the basis of a racial profile and dehumanization of innocent people."

They were joined Friday by the Arizona chapter of the Anti-Defamation League, which echoed calls for a Justice Department investigation.

© 2008 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Phoenix Mayor Asks FBI to Check Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:33:24 PM »
That guy has done a lot for the prison system in Arizona and now he's doing what the government should have been doing all along and they're giving him greif over it. Unbelievable.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »
If 99.9% of the illegals are mexican, how can you not profile?? Don't get me wrong. We've got spanish descent folks in this country that are as good a citizens as anybody and spanish descendent folks that have been in this country a whole lot longer than a lot of white folks but what are you going to do.  Have the whiners come up with any solutions? Or are they just whining?
 When I worked at the airport, and this was before 9/11, we profiled.  No doubt about it. If you fit the profile, your ID was going to be verified and your luggage was not going to be boarded until you were on the airplane. And some other stuff. :D

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
While I've never lived in Arizona ( just passed through a few times ), from what I hear and read, "Sheriff Joe" is an Icon down there, getting re-elected by a huge majority. Folks around the country applaud his attitude. He's  "earned his chops", too, being a former DEA agent. One tough cookie, with the right stuff!!!
Mark

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »
look where Arizona is located on the map, if he were stopping all Canadians or Chinese, maybe
he would be profiling.
This looks a lot like he is getting more attention and the people like him better than the Mayor,
so lets whine and try get him in trouble. I know some folks that have been in Sheriff Joe's jail
and althow they were treated OK they do not want to go back, isn't that is what you are supposed to learn
in jail.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
sounds right to me.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
Jail should be a deterrent but unfortunately it is not. I spent a couple of days in cook county jail when I was young and dumb and it was like being at camp. They feed you good, you sit around in a big room playing cards and watching cable tv. This is not what jail should be like, half the guys in there live better there than on the streets. Probably more than half. If you don't mind having to fight once in a while you can live like a king there. Why would they not want to go back?
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:15 AM »
guess i was talking to a different breed, they were from the southwest and enjoyed their freedom,
guess they didn't want to live like a locked up king. I have seen people like you are talking about, always
first in line for any give away, won't work, the kind that would vote for any one promising to give
them some thing.
Rex

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
I think the mayor is afraid he might loose his gardner, nanny, and maid. then he would have to hire citizens of the U.S. and pay them the going rate and benifits. That would cost him a lot more than the illegal wage he might be paying them now.
Just my opinion.

Gun Runner   ;D

Offline magooch

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:02:25 AM »
I think the mayor is a Dumbycrat and is pandering to the wetbacks who vote (illegally) for him.
Swingem

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 06:27:12 AM »
  Is sheriff Arpaio the only high honest, courageous and law abiding, high rank public official in Arizona ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 08:44:37 AM »
well huh, maybe, are you asking about all the high ranking politicions, surly you are not asking about
the ones running form pres. are you, i wouldn't think you would ask that kind of question. ::)
Rex

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
I think the mayor is afraid he might loose his gardner, nanny, and maid. then he would have to hire citizens of the U.S. and pay them the going rate and benifits. That would cost him a lot more than the illegal wage he might be paying them now.
Just my opinion.

Gun Runner   ;D
       And he is also afraid the sheriff may just run for mayor
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 05:23:35 PM »
Rex;
  Note, I qualified my statement by limiting it to Arizona.

That other politician from Arizona, although not "top shelf", doesn't seem to resent people that cling to their guns and their God...and the "enemy fire" he dodged was undoubtedly quite real...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 04:10:19 AM »
I'm with you IG ;D ::)
Rex