Author Topic: How many fliers should I expect to see?  (Read 653 times)

Offline hotburn76

• Trade Count: (0)
How many fliers should I expect to see?
« on: April 16, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
Done up some loads yesterday with 39 grain BK's and RL-10x and most of them did pretty good.  Had two groups less then .75" and one less then .60".  I shoot five shoot groups and all three of these had four in the measurement listed, but then all three each had one flier that was at least 1.5" away.  How many fliers should a guy see on average?  Just trying to figure out what the norm is.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
Re: How many fliers should I expect to see?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:04:02 PM »
Just guessing, but a quick answer without knowing all of the details, sounds like the barrel is heating up.
How long total to shot 5 shots?
How long between shots?

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline hotburn76

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:34:21 AM »
In total I had fifty rounds loaded.  It took me about two hours to shoot them all at the range.  So I would say maybe two minuets between shots.  They where all five shot groups.  So between each five I had to get out a new data sheet, fill in all the info and then start to shoot again, and right after each shot I would open gun to help it cool faster.  I also had to stop alot since the guy shooting next to me did not grasp the concept that I had ten targets set up and he had one, so I had to stop alot so he could go set up new paper on the range.    I always checked the barrel and would say it was just barely warm at most, it never got real warm, and has never been hot.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »
Everyone gets fliers.  You need to find the root cause of why.  Bullets?  Powder?  The way the gun is on the rest?  Wind?  Trigger jerk?

When I am working up loads for my competition guns, I expect no fliers....but I still get them.  My bullets are sorted, my powder trickled, etc.  So for me, most of mine are contributed to shooter error.  I didn't squeeze the trigger....or I didn't have the gun on my bench rest the same...or I fired the same time as the guy next to me and flinched......gun went off and I wasn't aware of my squeeze.  I didn't follow thru after the shot....  Lots of shooter errors out there.   If you can get 4 shots into .6 and call your flier when you shoot it, you have a good load.

Steve  :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »
Shoot 3 shot groups and see how many you get. For  me I expect no fliers. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:15:37 PM »
Sum ting wong.

Three shot groups should not have any flyers.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:00:45 PM »
If I shoot 40 grainers in mine then everyone is a flier,tumbler, or roller. Who knows where some of them even go ???. Anyhow-don't you just hate those pesky little fliers? Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a chance to shoot if it isn't too windy. I have to shoot the rest of my 32 grain factory ammo to try to establish a benchmark group to judge my reloads against. I'm going to shot 5 round groups and try to stay away from fliers but there always seems to be one that ruins the group :(
Dave

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:34:05 PM »
If the rifle and load are right you will have none.  I only have one rifle and load that is "right" a Savage 10 in 17 Remington, it will shoot 10 or 20 or 30 into an inch from a cold barrel.  Wish I could get a NEF to do it.

Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:15:13 AM »
I think you can pretty much rule out the heat!
I agree with both STEVE & PHATINJUN.
Three shots fairly quick is what I tend to shoot.
Sometimes I will go for five just to see, if I get a flier it really doesn't bother me.
I figure you will rarely get more that three shots at anything anyway!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:46 AM »
I fixed the fifth flyer in my groups by putting the brass of the flyer aside,and not using it again.I weighed the brass that made 1 hole and they weighed exactly the same.It worked on my CVA breakover,so it should work on the Handi's.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 04:19:01 AM »
Shooting groups with a break action rifle is extremely difficult as it has to be dismounted from the rest system for each shot. When it is replaced into the rest system you're using it may not be as exactly seated as the last shot made. Inconsistencies will show up in group sizes. Use the best system you can afford and practice. I'm sure many of these inaccuracy gripes posted can be attributed to this. Good Luck.
"Use a big enough gun!"