Author Topic: handi rifle latch issue  (Read 900 times)

Offline aaron billings

• Trade Count: (0)
handi rifle latch issue
« on: April 17, 2008, 02:38:52 AM »
I put the 243 barrel on my handi rifle to sight in a new scope yesterday and was having trouble with the latch.  It seemed to close ok but when i fire the recoil causes the breech to open.  when I looked more closely I see that when closed it the release button has no play in it which probably means  the barrel catch is not fully engaging.  When I first got the 243 a couple months ago it didn't do this but I've been using a 12g barrel before switching back to the 243.  has anyone else had this problem?  any ideas how to address it without having to send it back to NEF?  Thanks in advance if anyone can help.  ab

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: handi rifle latch issue
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:47:50 AM »
I sent my 243 in to factory several months ago for inconsistent accuracy and the same problem you have. when they sent it back they included a note saying that they replaced the barrel latch spring. Ive only shot about 20 rounds thru it since but it seems that was the problem. accuracy has improved greatly over what it had been, and it hasn't had any latching problems. I was shooting a 50cal on this frame also so maybe the heavier recoil weakens the spring.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:28:23 AM »
I was shooting a 50cal on this frame also so maybe the heavier recoil weakens the spring.
Or streched the frame! If there is no free play in the latch I certainly don't see how a spring replacement could help.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:12:41 AM »
Yeah,  when I got this gun there was a little less play than usual with the 243 barrel but at least it latched properly.  I don't see how a heavier caliber could stretch the frame and if it did stretch it seems like it would fit this barrel better.  It's almost as if the barrel catch has a bit of an overbite and won't allow the receiver latch to pop all the way into place.  It's hard to see exactly what's going on when it closed so I'm shy of filing an parts down.  ab

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:15:20 AM »
See the barrel fitting info in the FAQs and Help sticky to learn how to check latch engagement. Was the 50cal a 500S&W or a Huntsman barrel?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 06:26:54 AM »
I have a 50 cal huntsman for this gun which I'm not worried about.  the force is contained by the breech plug.  I was using a 12g on it to shoot weasels near my chicken house.  It was after this that I started having trouble w the 243 latching.  ab

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:38:53 AM »
A muzzleloader barrel puts insignificant pressure on the latch and frame in comparison to a centerfire rifle barrel, but fouling or dirt/debris may be the culprit, clean the frame inside and out  and the barrels real good and try the fit again, make sure the barrel pivot is clean and lubed too, and there's no oil on the latch or latch shelf. Read the pop open medicine link in the FAQs too. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 06:58:47 AM »
Thanks,  I was just in the fac section and couldn't find latches.  maybe a thorough cleaning is all that's needed.  we're talking about very small differences in fit.  ab

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 07:06:58 AM »
YUP, that's got to be it.  I remember seeing a bit of oil on the latch.  I'll get back here in a few days and let you know how it turned out.  thanks again.  ab

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 08:20:36 AM »
I had a .243 that was having the same problem.   I cleaned the latch and that helped, but the more I shot, the worse it seemed to get.

I think I was contributing to my problem.   At the time, I was new to reloading and was not checking the length of the cartridge.  Over time, they were stretching and, as a result, they were beginning to (ever-so-slightly!!) protrude out of the barrel and interfering with the proper locking of the barrel.  Once I re-sized the cartridges, the problem disappeared.

Once I corrected that problem (and the oil on the latch) everything was fine.
"Work: The New Retirement"

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:10:57 AM »
i cleaned the receiver and have not had issues w it opening since.  however, this barrel must be a tight fit because there is still no wiggle in the release when it's closed and now it takes a fair amount of pressure to open it.  does anyone know which part i should consider filing down?  ab