Author Topic: Obama Tries to Clarify Small-Town Remarks  (Read 531 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Obama Tries to Clarify Small-Town Remarks
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »
http://www.newsmax.com/politics/Obama_Tries_to_Clarify_Sm/2008/04/16/88609.html

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 9:04 PM

Democratic presidential rivals Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton tried to clarify recent controversial comments during a tense debate on Wednesday, with Obama accusing Clinton of playing politics with his remarks on small-town residents.

In their first debate in seven weeks, Obama said he mangled his description of the mood in economically struggling small towns and Clinton apologized for inaccurately saying she came under sniper fire in Bosnia in 1996.

Obama has been under heavy criticism from Clinton and Republican John McCain, who have called him elitist and out of touch for saying small-town residents were clinging to religion and guns in bitterness over their economic troubles.

"The problem that we have in our politics, which is fairly typical, is that you take one person's statement, if it's not properly phrased, and you just beat it to death, and that's what Senator Clinton's been doing," Obama said in a debate in Philadelphia six days before the Pennsylvania primary.

Clinton, who has eased off her public criticism of Obama over the remarks in the past two days but launched a television ad in Pennsylvania assailing the comments, said they were "a fundamental misunderstanding of religion and faith."

She warned the remarks would hurt Democrats if Obama won the nomination to face Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain in November's presidential election.

"Obviously, what we have to do as Democrats, is make sure we get enough votes to win in November," she said. "The Republicans, who are pretty shrewd about what it takes to win, certainly did jump on the comments."

Obama, an Illinois senator, responded, "Look, there is no doubt that the Republicans will attack either of us."

Clinton, a New York senator, apologized for her own recent campaign controversy, when she inaccurately said she had come under sniper fire when visiting Bosnia in 1996.

"You can go back for the past 15 months. We both have said things that, you know, turned out not to be accurate," Clinton said. "That happens when you're talking as much as we have talked. But, you know, I'm very sorry that I said it."

Obama seemed to speak for both of them when he chimed in, "For us to be obsessed with these kind of errors, I think, is a mistake."

PENNSYLVANIA SHOWDOWN

The controversies have roiled the Democratic presidential race during a seven-week lull between the last round of major contests in Ohio and Texas on March 4 and next week's showdown in Pennsylvania.

Obama also was forced to defend himself recently in a controversy over inflammatory comments by his pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

"I specifically said that these comments were objectionable. They're not comments that I believe in. And I disassociated myself with them," he said during the debate.

Clinton has a dwindling lead over Obama in state polls, and needs a big win to try to close the gap on the Illinois senator in popular votes and pledged delegates to the nominating convention.

With 10 contests remaining, Obama has a nearly unassailable lead in pledged delegates, but neither candidate is likely to gain enough delegates to win without help from nearly 800 Democratic Party officials and insiders who are free to back any candidate.

When pressed whether she thought Obama could win in November and beat back attacks from Republicans, Clinton said: "Yes, yes, yes. Now I think that I can do a better job. Obviously that's why I'm here."

"I believe I am the better and stronger candidate than Senator McCain and I can go toe to toe with him on national security," she said.

Obama was asked by a voter on video why he did not wear the American flag in his lapel.

"I have never said that I don't wear flag pins or refuse to wear flag pins. This is the kind of manufactured issue that our politics has become obsessed with and, once again, distracts us," he said.

© 2008 Reuters. All rights reserved.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Obama Tries to Clarify Small-Town Remarks
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
Obama has too many discrepancies in his comments without substance.  He wants change, but doesn't say how.  He says he's for small town America and makes comments about small town folk depending on faith, guns and culture due frustration.  He states he's frustrated with Washington politics, but uses it to deny arms for law abiding citizens.  He says he's a Christian and is extremely faithful to its precepts, but then criticizes the little men and women who also do the same.  He says he has disassociated himself with his life long friend and reverend, whose comments against America in general, Obama was completely unaware of, but still has not stated why he disagrees with the preachers statements.  He has said nothing about attending a church for the last 20 years that has a manifesto targeting African problems and not American.  This sounds almightly, like reading an Eglish version of Al Jazeera.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Obama Tries to Clarify Small-Town Remarks
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 04:56:33 PM »
  Concentrate on the House of Reps. and Senate elections.  And yes it is absurd that a prospective future leader does not raise his hand to his heart during the national anthem or display any emblem of American spirit on his suit. Will he salute the military officers granted that courtesy if he is elected commaner-in-chief. Probably not. IMHO, if you vote for a guy that is against the American National Anthem and common American Symbolism then there is plenty of land and governments over seas that will welcome you. Just please leave our freedoms here, our fathers died for it, not for you.................