Author Topic: Knight Disc Extreme MHC and Blackhorn 209 Range Report **NEW REPORT ADDED**  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
I think she is a keeper. Shot 15 shots (5 - 3 shot groups) in succession without swabbing, no crud ring or crusty fouling whatsoever. All sabots loaded the same from start to finish. Excellent ignition on all loads and bullets. Winchester W209 primers  and Blackhorn 209 were used for all loads.

The first group was the T/C 240 gr Cheapshots with 80 gr B209 and measured a respectable 1.86" out of a CHERRY bore, cant really complain about that. Not bad for eyeball bore sighting, I'm getting better at it. The secret is to use the flash hole in the breech plug as a aperture to align the bore on a distant object. I couldn't believe I got it within 3 inches, probably just lucky and won't ever happen again. Just testing the waters a bit, it is the center Group 1 in pic #1.

Next up was T/C 240 gr Cheapshots with 90 gr B209, wanted to group with two touching, but threw one out for a 1.83" group. Group 2, lower left in pic #1.

Next up was 200 gr Shockwave with 80 gr B209, again wanted to group with two within 1/4", then threw the last one out for a 2.10" group. Group 3, lower right pic #1. Worst group.

Pic #1

Now is when it got really scary, Knight (Barnes) 250 gr USS, 100 gr B209, all three cutting one hole for a .610" group. Group 4, upper left in pic #1. Also see pic #2.

Pic #2

The last group of the day was a 250 gr Shockwave, 100 gr B209. This loaded very easily and almost seemed too easy, considering I had already shot 4 - 3 shot groups previously without swabbing. This was the best group of the day, 2 bullets went nearly through the same hole, upper right with the other about 1/4" away for a .558" ctc group. Group 5 in pic #1, also see pic #3.

Pic #3

This was load and shoot, no cooling time between shots. I did make some scope adjustments between groups, just so you know they were not walking all over the place. I still need to tweek the crosshairs once I settle on a particular load, or two. I will try some 110 and 120 grain load next time out, but it will be hard to improve on those 100 grain groups. I think I am gonna keep the Knight and the Blackhorn 209. :D

More Pics

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Simpleman96

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Knight Disc Extreme MHC and Blackhorn 209 Range Report w/Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
Thanks for the report Busta.

i unfortunately have not found a place near me I can shoot mine as gun ranges here do not like BP. I may not get to shoot it until this summer when I can go back to my dads in Mi. Either way i know it will shoot well.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks. I think most of us would be happy with any of those groups. I am looking forward to trying some of this power. How hard is cleanup and can you use warm water?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »
Id be real happy with those groups. Have you cleaned the rifle yet? Thanks Busta for leading the way on this
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:55:59 AM »
I haven't cleaned the Knight yet, but I cleaned the NEF the other night after shooting it 3 times with 80 gr B209 and the .25 ACP ignition. I wanted to see what it would do with a dry patch. The patch went in real easy,it was raining cat's and dog's that day, so I am sure the moisture in the air could vary the results a bit. Anyway, the patch pulled back up with some resistance, but nothing like caked on fouling, the  patch was dirty, but the bore looked pretty much spotless. I continued to patch wit a clean DRY patch to see if I could muster up any more fouling. After the second patch the bore looked to be spotless, no visible fouling, but continued to patch with clean dry patch. I still got some very minute traces of fouling until the sixth dry patch. I then used a bore cleaner a couple days later, after the patches came out clean and could only detect a trace of fouling with the wet patch. I then used a couple dry patches and it looked like new again.

I plan to shoot a little more today but the grass is now starting to grow, and you know what that means, less shooting time. I will have to mow before next weekend, that is a 3-1/2 hour job, not including the trimming and everything else.

I am also thinking about giving Blackhorn 209 a whirl in the Knight TK2000 12ga turkey gun w/209 ignition. Our State season starts tomorrow, but my hunt starts on May 5th, so I have a couple weeks to tweek out a load. I tried it in my #11 ignition White Thunder 12ga, but had a delayed/hang fire and scrubbed that idea.

As far as cleaning, you don't want to use water or water based products with Blackhorn 209. I guess it can make the fouling sticky and just might be what I experienced with the NEF, dry patches, and the 100% humidity the other day. Just use a wet patch with a bore cleaner like Hoppe's, a couple dry patches after and it should be good to go. Of course you would want to protect your bore with something like Eezox or Break-Free CLP afterwards for storing.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »
I shot the Knight Disc Extreme MHC and Blackhorn 209 some more today, and it just keeps getting better. I now have 32 shots through it without swabbing, 15 last Thursday and left dirty, shot 17 times out of it today. I also tried some loads in my White .504 with conicals and #11 primer, no joy there, all delayed/hang fires.

Back to the Knight. All shots today were with the Winchester W209 primer as they were last Thursday. Loads last Thursday were weighed on a beam scale to the volume equivelant, today all loads were thrown charges with a volume powder measure at the bench. All groups were shot on 10 power today, load and shoot without waiting between shots. The scope was not adjusted at all today.

First group of the day was with a bullet I had not shot yet, the 240 gr XTP Mag Express and 100 gr B209. The first bullet hit about 2 o'clock in the bull...the second hit abot 1-1/2" above the bull...third came back and cut the first hole at 3 o'clock...so I figured I would shoot a 5 shot group to see if I could put the others in the group...the fourth went back up with the second...the fifth came back down with 1 and 3 for a 2.16" group. See center group G6 in Pic #1.

Pic #1

I wanted to shoot some 110 and 120 gr loads today, so G7, G8, G9 were 110 gr and G10 was a 120 gr load. Next up was the Knight USS 250 gr PBT (Barnes) over 110 grains of B209, best group of the day at .425". See G7 in lower left of Pic #1 and also Pic #2.

Pic #2

Next up was the 250 gr T/C Shockwave over 110 gr B209. This grouped at 1.12", see G8 lower right of Pic #1.

Next up was the 200 gr T/C Shockwave over 110 gr B209. This grouped at 1.52", see G9 upper left of Pic #1.

The last group of the day was with the Knight USS 250 gr PBT (Barnes)  over 120 gr B209. This grouped at .731", see G10 upper right of Pic#1 and also Pic #3.

Pic #3

I also wanted to keep track of some sabots and primers. In Pic #4 see the Knight sabots upper left two were with 100 gr, next two were with 110 gr, and the last two next to the primers were with 120 grains B209. The two primers were also from the 120 grain loads with the Knight USS/Barnes 250 gr PBT, see Pic #5.

Pic#4

Pic #5

It is not hard to see what bullet this rifle likes, the Knight/Barnes went sub-MOA with 100, 110 and 120 grain charges. So far it looks like the 110 gr load might just be the best, but will need more samples to determine that for sure. That has to be the best shooting saboted bullet I have ever shot. The powder and rifle aren't too shabby either. I am just beside myself on this whole experience, never has shooting been so easy and fun. I will NEVER shoot 777 in this rifle as long as Blackhorn 209 is around! I know some of you guys are looking for the downside to this powder, sorry to report that I haven't found one yet other than #11 primers are not enough, but we knew that going in.

My new favorite saboted bullet.

Another Pic
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

Well I have no excuse either. I will be trying some but I will wait until I can find it on store shelves. Sub MOA with a ML is rare and just to get MOA is saying something.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline 30-06man

Busta are you going to shoot it at 200 anytime soon? and How did the TK2000 do?

Thanks for the info

Rick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter

Thanks for the info

I will shoot at 200 pretty soon, I only have a 100 yard range set up behind my barn, but I can shoot to infinity at the farm. Well not really infinity, but an uninterrupted 1-1/4 miles. :D The scope is a Mil-Dot, and I would like to walk it all the way out until it's accuracy falls off. This is my woodchuck sniper, and I would like to get testing it out soon, problem is it likes expensive bullets. I didn't shoot the TK2000 today, started sprinkling on me just after I shot my last group with the Disc. I still have two weeks before my hunt starts, but the State turkey season opens tomorrow.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

Ohh ok. Sounds good. I have a 125 yard range but if I wanted I could make it longer.

Rick

Offline Simpleman96

Busta:

Did you use the red plastic jackets or did you get the new jacketless breech plug. Just want to know so if I have to order the new set up for the Blackhorn 209. My two bottles showed up on the doorstep today.

Offline 30-06man

Thanks for the info

I will shoot at 200 pretty soon, I only have a 100 yard range set up behind my barn, but I can shoot to infinity at the farm. Well not really infinity, but an uninterrupted 1-1/4 miles. :D The scope is a Mil-Dot, and I would like to walk it all the way out until it's accuracy falls off. This is my woodchuck sniper, and I would like to get testing it out soon, problem is it likes expensive bullets. I didn't shoot the TK2000 today, started sprinkling on me just after I shot my last group with the Disc. I still have two weeks before my hunt starts, but the State turkey season opens tomorrow.

Have you shot it at 200, did you have luck with the BH209 and the TK2000 and how did your turkey season go?

Rick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Sorry guys, haven't checked this post in a while. I haven't shot at 200 yet, been working WAY too much, 10 hour days, 2 hours on the road, a month of Saturdays. That happens when you have two kids in college, and 5 vehicles to buy gas for. Needless to say, my turkey season ends Saturday and I haven't even been out yet. Might get out for a last day hunt on Sat.

All I have used in the Knight is the Non-FPJ plug and it works outstanding, but some reports seem to favor the FPJ plug with the concave end as the best one.

Non-FPJ ignition

FPJ Ignition

Both ignitions side by side

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

Thanks Busta. Don't worry about it I know what you mean. Starting in Feb I was put in the Hospital and then after that I worked a bunch up into here lately. I only got to go turkey hunting one time and the guy I was with spooked the Gobbler and a Hen when he ran out into the field 20 yards ahead of me. Good Luck.

Rick

Offline bowhntr

Busta, great info.  Any more test results to add?  I actually ran across this site in my search to figure out why I couldn't get my 52. cal disc extreme to ignite w/BH. (seems like I've got the wrong breech plug for bh209). Guess the major manufacturers are still not very familiar.  Knight has always been great with advice in the past but this time they didn't have much to offer regarding the blackhorn powder, nor did Blackhorn give me much adivice on which breech plug to use.
Thanks to all you guys, I've added GBO as one of my top favorites.  As soon as I can get a break in the weather I'll try it again. 

Also, anybody got a recommendation on the best breech plug? I can definitely confirm that the standard domed breech plug is a no, although Lane gave me a solution to try on another post.  I just purchased a 50 cal disc xt on clearance (wish I had seen this post when ya'll hit gold with fins and fur) and it has the fpj with the concave face.  I will try it in both guns as soon as I can get back to the range.  If it doesn't work my next option is to buy the non-fpj, or drill the domed plug.  I'm just trying to get things dialed in asap because I have a Kansas trip coming at the end of Sept. (I've got my 777 on standby in case)
Thanks again

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
 Thanks for the great report & pictures. I have 3 Knights, 2 orange & 1 red discs. I plan to try the Blackhorn 209 as soon as this week in my 'stock' breech plug rifles. My only concern is reliable ignition, now & in Nov. I have a can of 777 standing by if need be.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Reese

I have had no problems igniting B209 in my Knight .45 cal Wolverine 209 using the factory breech plug that requires the red FPJ.  I am using 110 gr B209, TC Shockwave 200 gr .40 cal with Harvester light blue sabots and Winchester 209 primer. 

Offline rt_con

Busta, great info.  Any more test results to add?  I actually ran across this site in my search to figure out why I couldn't get my 52. cal disc extreme to ignite w/BH. (seems like I've got the wrong breech plug for bh209). Guess the major manufacturers are still not very familiar.  Knight has always been great with advice in the past but this time they didn't have much to offer regarding the blackhorn powder, nor did Blackhorn give me much adivice on which breech plug to use.
Thanks to all you guys, I've added GBO as one of my top favorites.  As soon as I can get a break in the weather I'll try it again. 

Also, anybody got a recommendation on the best breech plug? I can definitely confirm that the standard domed breech plug is a no, although Lane gave me a solution to try on another post.  I just purchased a 50 cal disc xt on clearance (wish I had seen this post when ya'll hit gold with fins and fur) and it has the fpj with the concave face.  I will try it in both guns as soon as I can get back to the range.  If it doesn't work my next option is to buy the non-fpj, or drill the domed plug.  I'm just trying to get things dialed in asap because I have a Kansas trip coming at the end of Sept. (I've got my 777 on standby in case)
Thanks again

bowhntr,
How did you make out with BH209 in your Knight ?

Reason I ask is that I'm trying various options in my .50 Elite now. I didn't use BH209 this past season, as I didn't trust it in the cold weather. I modified my domed plug as Lane suggested.. and I had no ignition issues. I just tried the NFPJ and it too functions fine, with very little primer fouling, even with Fed209a's.   However, I am frankly disappointed with the groups thus far with BH209.  :-\  My Knight's shoot 777 noticably better than BH209.... so far.

I may have to heat-up my loads with BH209... I see Grouse and Busta getting real good results in their Knight's with 110 - 120grs. 

Thanks... Rob   
Rob C