Author Topic: What is the BEST concealed carry pistol?  (Read 3346 times)

Offline jeep08ham

• Trade Count: (0)
What is the BEST concealed carry pistol?
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:48:22 AM »
I have a CCW permit and have been looking for something smaller than my S&W 410 40 cal. for concealed carry.  The S&W is a great pistol and shoots great but it is too large for really concealed carry for me.    I would prefer a 9 MM with a 3" barrel.  Have been looking at Kahr, Kel-Tec and so forth.  What are other guns and models I should be looking at.  I do not care for the smaller Glocks as my hand hangs off of the bottom of the grip.  How about the Sprigfield Armory XD compacts.

All comments appreciated on this subject.

God Bless and let someone see you Smile today.  It might be the only one they get today!  :)

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: What is the BEST concealed carry pistol?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:26 AM »
you need to limit size for what you can conceal on your person. with that in mind i choose the cz82 because it small enough for me to conceal and I find a pp is a fair fit in the pocket. If you can't conceal it easily or it is uncomfortable to carry you will not have it on you  if you ever need it.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 08:53:27 AM »
I have what the golfer's refer to as a "cadet" size hand, so the smaller Glocks (Model 30 in this case) fit me OK and I like the caliber.  I routinely wear oversize or baggy T-shirts so it normally hides fine IWB.

But a Bersa Thunder 380 fits fine in front pocket of "Sunday go to meeting" clothes.  I imagine their CC model probably a little better fit.  Both about the size of a Walther PPK.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
  If you like the Glocks most dealers sell a magazine extension for that very purpose, to give you a full grip. After working in gun sales and range, If I were to carry a semi-auto, I would carry a Walther P99 or Beretta 92. They were very reliable and very accurate. I only carry revolvers. You might consider the multiple models of Smith and Wessons available for that purpose if you look toward a wheelgun. Taurus also makes some good snub revolvers for a lower price but still reliable.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:09:29 PM »
The one you WILL HAVE WITH YOU when you need it. You have to decide what you'll actually carry rather than leaving behind the time you really really really needed it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jnclement

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 06:40:03 PM »
I really, really like my XD9SC, but I do use magazine extensions.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »
  i ll agree the one you can use accurrately enough to stop an low life coming in at 10-7 ft etc.. my choice is the kel tec 380.. but what ever gets the job done and will always be with you .. thats the best one.. jmo

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:22:21 AM »
I have a variety of what I carry.
Honestly, I don't find the size of any, except revolvers, too be a hindrance too hide.
You need to wear clothing (shirts) that are not tight.
I carry a Sig P220 or a colt government or an STI Trojan a lots during the summer without any problems.
Now I don't carry in a scabbard--and I think that is the difference.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 07:22:06 PM »
I carry a S & W M & P .45 and sometimes my HK USP .40 S & W.I have large hands and like the full size auto.I carry behind my right hip with no problem at all.It's very comfortable to me.....Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 04:32:38 AM »
I'm with GB on this one. The one you will carry. The Kel-Tec .380 is one you can carry in hot weather or in casual clothes and it isn't heavy.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »
Setting aside deep concealment, the Kimber Ultra Carry in 45acp. Light weight, small, great knock down power, reliability and safety system.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
I agree with Graybeard also. I used to own a Kel-Tec P11 and it is too large for me to carry most of the time so I left it at home. I sold it and bought a North American Arms Guardian 380. It is a little heavy but fits nicely into the front pocket of my Levi's. I carry it all the time. That is what is important to me. Charlie

NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 03:44:32 PM »
J frame in a pocket holster

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 01:54:59 PM »
Sig P239 carried in a good holster, on a good stiff belt. It is narrow thru grip and also short, this allows nice concealment. The weight makes for a soft shooter, which means more practice. Your choice of 9mm, 357sig, or .40 S&W all more than adequate. Simple internal safeties for ease of deployment. More capacity than revolver, but no match to a Glock. Extra mags are easily fit into a pocket if you feel the need. I love mine, it makes me look like a good pistol shooter. Handle one and see if it's for you though ymmv.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline BullyDawg19

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »
my carry battery changes with the seasons. p32 Keltec with belt clip hung in pocket during the summer, Glock 26 in fobus during spring and fall, and a Taurus pt1911 45 during the winter.

Best gun for carry -
1. whatever you can carry discreetly.
2. whatever you can shoot accurately.
3. whatever goes bang every time you pull the trigger.
simple enough?

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:17 AM »
GB is right , I started off with a 1911 then a S&W 45 , then several Glocks then switched to a mod. 38 body guard which i have carried for years and always have it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »
 i can t say what is best.. i know i carried an 22 berretta because it was so easy to conceal.. now ive found the .380 keltec. lot more stop power and carries just as easy..
 recently found out that the dpx corbon 80 grn,is a rnd made especially for the kel tec.. the fps and energy figures on the box are using the kel tek.. no jams and smooth operation with the dpx.. so it gets my vote for ccw..
  thats until i can get to my truck. :)

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »
I thank each of you for your responses.  Nice to get others opinions and it comes down to what I will carry each and every day.  I was able to try a number of different weapons and wear some for a day or at least a few hours.   The pistol that fits ME, and also was easy to conceal for me is one that I have thought a lot of for a long time.  I purchased a XD  Springfield Subcompact 9MM.   It shot the best and seemed to fit my hands the best too. Feels like part of me when wearing it. I tried a number of in the pants pocket 380's and had trouble getting them out of my jeans pockets quickly.  Also like the power of the 9MM better.  Instead of using the double tap shooting method, I have been practicing the triple tap.  One is each nipple and one to the forehead.  This pistol was able to deliver quickly and every time for me at 10 yards in my shooting range at home.  Didn't have a misfire or failure of any kind.  Used 4 different ammo brands and 6 different loads. 

Thanks again for helping me decide.

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »
Wrap you hand around a Kahr also....one of my favorites.

In the revolver line....it's difficult to beat an airweight J frame

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
Kel-Tec P3AT and Kahr CW9. Covers most everything.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »
SW 3913 in 9mm or BHP (9mm) or LWcommander.  I use the LW and or GM or HP MKIII in 40sw as big carry.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »
Jeep, have you looked at the new down sized 1911?   I think Springfield makes it. One of those in .45GAP would be handy.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lost Oki

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
Cool months I carry a colt 1991A1 Officers Model .45 with a loose fitting shirt and slacks in an inside the pants holster.   In the summer, a Taurus lightweight in 38 special with 180gr hard cast flat nose rounds.  Agree with most, its what you are comfortable with and can hit with.  I have been shooting a 45 auto for 35 yrs but I have been looking at several of the smaller frame 380's, 32's and 9mm.  The Taurus is lighter loaded than the colt is unloaded, but I have not warmed up to the polymer frames yet.....Now there is a reason for a nice .40 in a polymer frame....

Offline jeep08ham

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »
I appreciate each of your input and thoughts.  I found the Springfield XD 9 Subcompact to be so comfortable for me and now that I have had the opportunity to put over a 1,000 rounds through it, I have nothing but good things to say about this pistol.  I liked it so well, I bought a XD40.  Have only put about 200 rounds through it but it, like the 9MM have functioned perfectly. Even mixed some reloads with factory loads and all have fed perfectly with no problems. Accuracy is better than I am.  When getting really warm and not wearing a lot of heavy clothes, the XD 9 lives on me in an inside the pants holster, in colder weather I may switch to a shoulder holster and the XD 40.  Both of these seem to come up on target extremely quickly for me!  Much better than my S&W 410 40. 

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and input.

Offline Jack Ryan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 10:09:58 PM »
I have a CCW permit and have been looking for something smaller than my S&W 410 40 cal. for concealed carry.  The S&W is a great pistol and shoots great but it is too large for really concealed carry for me.    I would prefer a 9 MM with a 3" barrel.  Have been looking at Kahr, Kel-Tec and so forth.  What are other guns and models I should be looking at.  I do not care for the smaller Glocks as my hand hangs off of the bottom of the grip.  How about the Sprigfield Armory XD compacts.

All comments appreciated on this subject.

God Bless and let someone see you Smile today.  It might be the only one they get today!  :)

S&W3913

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 12:26:38 AM »
  "Jack Ryan" - cute!
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:41:19 AM »
If there were one clear "BEST" for everyone and every time they wouldn't bother making all the others.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.