Author Topic: ? .410/45 Colt Barrel ?  (Read 408 times)

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
? .410/45 Colt Barrel ?
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:52:18 AM »
I 've decided to get  22 Hornet and .410/45Colt barrels.  The standard 22 Hornet Handi barrel's taper should match my existing for-end, but I'm not sure of with the  conture of the .410/45 barrel.  Will it fit the for-end that came with my BC Carbine, without a huge gap?  Also, customer service says they will drill and tap the .410/45Colt barrel, with scope mount, for $35 extra.  As an added note, Slim Line 22 Hornet barrels with and without iron sights are back in stock

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ? .410/45 Colt Barrel ?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:07:11 AM »
The Hornet Superlight barrels were never out of stock, but what they have left are all they have, it's been discontinued since they get less than 10 orders a year for it. All forend barrel channels are the same since all barrels are the same size or real close to the same size at the forend, even bull barrels are only .030" larger at the stud. I have over 40 H&R rifles and shotguns, I swap forends between them all the time, the only ones you'll have an issue with is the 10ga/12ga slug barrels since they're much bigger at the breech and overall diameter. If you notice on the accessory barrel list, they mention when a different forend is needed. If you look at the Retail Price list in the FAQs, you won't see different forends listed for different barrel contours, that's because they're all the same with the exceptions noted. ;) For an example, the 410/45C Survivor uses the same forend as the 308 bull barrel and 223 Survivors, Choate only makes one Survivor forend.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 07:07:56 AM »
Along the same line of thinking, I would highly recommend you order a forend for each barrel, any changes you make to improve accuracy will undo the fit for existing barrels, a lot of dedicated Handi-holics prefer a dedicated frame or at least a dedicated forend for each barrel.  ;) One of the nicer looking forends is the Topper Deluxe Classic stock, it's checkered walnut and will fit all rifle barrels, part # and price can be found on the Retail Parts Price page in the FAQs.

Tim

Bottom rifle is a 44mag with the TDC stock

45-70 with BC butt and TDC forend

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 07:11:27 AM »
Tim,

In light of your comments I’ll probably order the Superlight 22 Hornet barrel w/iron sights, along with the .410/45 barrel w/optional scope rail.  

Thanks,
George

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 07:12:24 AM »
There ya go, no forends? See my previous post made while you were typing.  ;)

Tim

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
Tim,

I'll give strong consideration to adding a TDC forend to this order, possibly the butt too.

Thanks,
George