Author Topic: ROUGH FINISH / POOR BLUEING  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Kotimaki

• Trade Count: (0)
ROUGH FINISH / POOR BLUEING
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
Ive read numerous posts here on the finish of our beloved handis. I too was disappointed it seemed that any moisture at all would lead to rust. I tried a product called dura coat made by Lauer , and have now done up a plethora of guns with it. check it out......very easy to apply and bullet proof finish.....Karl

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: ROUGH FINISH / POOR BLUEING
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
Ya can't expect a $500 finish on a $200 gun!! I don't have a problem with rust on any of my 40+ H&Rs, just use a good gun oil and you'll be fine. The problem is many gun owners think they're using good stuff, but aren't. ::)  I use Eezox, but Breakfree CLP is good stuff too, and a lot easier to find.  ;)

Tim

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:16:21 PM »
What Quick said, Plus, I am fairly sure you can go to he11 for painting a gun.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
i use the break free too. no rust problems
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:37:34 AM »
I use breekfree in liberal amounts but still get some surface red now and then .Is Eezox better yet I would have to order it as I have never seen it locally. I have even thought about a paste wax & polish deal anybody done that ? How did it work? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:58:25 AM »
 Use a good paste carnauba wax such as Johnson's found in the floor care products section. Do not use a paste wax cleaner combo recommended for car finishes. There's pumice in it that can ruin a blue job. A waxed stock can be slippery and cause grip problems so use your discretion there. Two or three initial coats will last a season.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 05:29:36 AM »
When i was in the Service, we used BreakFree CLP. Ive been using it ever since and it works well.
 there is other stuff out there thats works too, but i got used to the CLP and thats what i like.
  I too have one gun from NEF that was rough, the barrel had light rings to it, but i just 'sanded' them out with steelwool and some cold blueing.. no problems
glenn

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 05:35:52 AM »
Kurt, if you're getting a reddish stain on patches when you wipe the barrel, it's just bluing, since it's a form or rust in itself. It can also come from the bore since I don't think H&R plugs the bores when barrels are blued.

Tim

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 08:15:21 PM »
What Quick said, Plus, I am fairly sure you can go to he11 for painting a gun.  Larry

Yes brother, verily I say unto thee, thus it is written...

All holy gun tradition aside though, I've seen some nice polymer finishes. I actually like the poly finish on my CZ-75 better than the blued ones. Never thought I'd say that until I examined both. The finish on mine is still almost perfect after three years of moderate use.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 10:59:45 PM »
I have been shooting black powder through my handi for a few years now with no rust, inside or out. Rust prevention is just a matter of cleaning and keeping the weapon well oiled. Caustic salt bluing, the norm on factory guns today, really does nothing to protect the metal. It just hides the stains. Additionally the rough finish on the handi may help hold the oil better than a highly polished surface.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 08:18:20 AM »
Rustolium makes a fine rust inhibitor.  Being out sometimes for a week at a time in solid rain I got rust, no matter how well I oiled them.  Then after my 06 spend two days at the bottom of the Chatinikia River, it got a new coating.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline OSOK

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 06:10:01 AM »
I use good old fashioned black Kiwi boot polish on the barrel of my BC. I hunt no matter what the weather, and it has never failed me.
“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Offline NAM70

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:44 PM »
If I ever get mine to shoot good then I plan on rust blueing it next winter. I did 4 guns last winter and the Handi should be easier than any of them. Very easy polish job. I already refinished the stock and forearm so it should be a nice looking gun. Dave

Offline ECV Slick

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 07:55:43 AM »
I don't know, but I recently picked up a .223 "Ultra Varmint" and thought the finish and bluing were quite well done considering the price of the gun.  I have heard that these barrels were made by Marlin - so I can't really say much more about it.

Anyways, I use Militech1 as a lubricant after using CLP Breakfree for many, many years.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason…

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
Slick, All H&R 223 barrels are made by Marlin as of early 2007, most other chamberings are too, but they still farm out some barrels last time I asked earlier this year. Dunno yet if barrel production is going to change due to the plant move to Ilion, but I suspect it will remain the same, will know for sure next week hopefully.

I'd recommend a switch back to Breakfree CLP, Militec1 failed the Gunzone tests, it may be a good lube, but it's a poor protectant. As readily available as CLP is, I can see no reason to use anything else, unless you want the synthetic qualities of Eezox and have a local source. ;)

Tim

Offline ECV Slick

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 09:06:24 AM »
Slick, All H&R 223 barrels are made by Marlin as of early 2007, most other chamberings are too, but they still farm out some barrels last time I asked earlier this year. Dunno yet if barrel production is going to change due to the plant move to Ilion, but I suspect it will remain the same, will know for sure next week hopefully.

I'd recommend a switch back to Breakfree CLP, Militec1 failed the Gunzone tests, it may be a good lube, but it's a poor protectant. As readily available as CLP is, I can see no reason to use anything else, unless you want the synthetic qualities of Eezox and have a local source. ;)

Tim

Thanks for pointing me to this info!  I have quite a bit of the Militech1 and can probably continue using it as a "running lube" for my belt-fed guns and go back to CLP for storage.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason…