Author Topic: Starline brass, crappy  (Read 959 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Starline brass, crappy
« on: April 20, 2008, 03:40:57 PM »
For the first time I've loaded some of the starline 2.1" 38-55 brass I bought.  Lubed them up and while trying to load 10 rounds, it took 14 to get it done.  On four of them the lip rolled back about 1/8" and a fith one tried to buckle when just using the case expander die.

These will go bye bye soon.  I have no issues with any other brass.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Starline brass, crappy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:03:22 PM »
Hmmm, what die set are ya using? Are you belling and flaring the cases first? I've loaded 90 rounds so far with .380" bullets, the only problem I've had with the RCBS cowboy die set is the seater plug didn't match my bullet noses, but I fixed that with a 375 H&H Hornady seater die. ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
if you are using lee dies for the 38-55 you have to back out the expander sie A LOT to keep from buckling cases. i alwasy back them out a few extra turns and then turn them in slowly to prevent case buckling. took me 10 destroyed cases till i figured that out the first time.

ron

Offline bishopgrandpa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:14:36 AM »
Have used Starline for years for handgun and rifle with great success. Methinks you have a die misadjusted. The brass is good.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:07:39 AM »
I agree, it sounds more like a procedural problem than a brass problem. It is easy to crush any long, straight walled case if care is not taken to start the case straight into the expander, especially one of the "powder through expander" types. All 38/55 brass is quite thin at the mouth and easily damaged if one is not paying full attention. I've used a lot of Starline brass in .38 spl, .44/40, .45 Colt and 38/55 without any problems.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
I'm using Lee dies, and never had any issues with the other brands of 38-55 brass.  I've used them for jacketed and cast.  I might try backing it out some, but if too much, the cast bullet gets shaved.

I'll give them another try, but I DON'T have to have this brand and don't like making special concessions for one brand.

Offline djw

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »
handirifle,
Have you considered contacting Starline, sending them some of your bad brass? Maybe they'd like to know if a batch got out that is not performing.
Just a thought.
Don

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:34:59 AM »
I wouldn't blame the brass if you didn't adjust the die to account for the longer length!! ???  Bullets shouldn't get shaved when seating if you expand and flare the case first. ;)

Tim

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 03:52:25 PM »
I wouldn't blame the brass if you didn't adjust the die to account for the longer length!! ???  Bullets shouldn't get shaved when seating if you expand and flare the case first. ;)

Tim

Quick
I think you might have hit on something.  I never thought about it being longer....duh!

I never thought it was a bad BATCH of brass, but thought it was too thin.  My others are not that thin.  I'll make the adjustment and see.  The worry of shaving came from the post about backing the belling die out.  I figured it wouldn't bell the case enough.

Just for the record, though, I've reloaded straight cases for several years, and although there've been things happen, I've never had this problem, this frequently.  This brass is noticably thinner.  If I don't continue to like it, I'll end up trading it off for another brand.

Personal preference.

Offline walkingwolf

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
 i PICKED UP A BAG OF 500 S&W ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO. IT WAS JUNK , THE PRIMER POCKET WAS OUT OF ROUND ( ONE PRIMER OUT OF 8 WOULD SEAT. THE  FLASH HOLE ROUGH AND ALL SIZES
Don't smoke in bed the Assh you save may be your own

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »
I've used Starline 38-55,  44mag, 45Colt,  45-70 and 500S&W, never had a problem with it, if you do, you should contact Starline about it. Also have 454 Casull and 460S&W, but haven't loaded it yet.

Tim

http://www.starlinebrass.com/responseform.html

Offline Lucky Joe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 12:44:18 AM »
My only experience with Starline brass is with the .45 Colt and I consider it my best brass. I agree check the length.
Lucky Joe

"There's always a way."

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 01:50:29 AM »
A long time ago, I got a batch of Winchester 223 brass that I had a hard time seating primers into. After struggling with it for a while (many flattened primers) I found that if I "uniformed" the primer holes, the problem went away. Back then I was using a hand held pocket uniformer. It was really rough on the fingers and hands when I had really tight primer pockets. I have since got a RCBS Trim Mate. That made it much easier. I have been uniforming all my brass before I fire the first round, even pistol brass. It has be come part of my brass prepping routine along with deburring flash holes, case mouths and squaring up necks and case mouths before I load up the first round. I have not had a problem since. Some times, cases get to the low side of tolerance and the primers get to the high side, bad combination. Just my 2 cents worth.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Lucky Joe.  Only brass I have bought from Starline was 45 colt and have been real pleased with it.  Handles hot loads easy and have had no problems with it.  Got a batch of 500 and was going to get some more.  Got mine 2 years ago, maybe a problem with quality control?  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?