Author Topic: Brooks-USA  (Read 653 times)

Offline benzon

• Trade Count: (0)
Brooks-USA
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:50:17 PM »
Gentlemen,

I don't post often, but I would like to say how much I have enjoyed my Brooks-USA model M-FC Firecracker Cannon.  It uses a standard Black Cat-sized firecracker as a charge and a Black Cat as the projectile.  I am sure you all know this.  It spits the projectile out in a surprisingly flat trajectory for about 40 feet before the airborne explosion. The M-FC is  a great fun product, and really cool to watch in action at night.

By the way, it is an excellent somewhat gentle way to scare squirrels away from a bird feeder.    Of course, it scares the birds away too...haven't figured out a fix for that yet.   I like birds and squirrels, so I guess I will aim the mighty gun elsewhere.

Now, is anyone interested in helping me with ideas on how to extend the range of a firecracker cannon, still using only firecrackers for the propellent charge?  As it works now, the flame from the first firecracker ignites the fuse from the second firecracker totally, I believe, only allowing for a second or so of projectile travel before the airborne explosion.  It would be interesting to have the firecracker shoot out in an arc and explode on the ground.

My only idea would be to put a bit of nail polish on the portion of the projectile fuse nearest the firecracker itself...to delay ignition a bit.  I'll try that, but would appreciate other ideas.

Bob

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Re: Brooks-USA
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
Nail polish will probably ruin the fuse. Try wrapping tape around most of the fuse.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:29 AM »
build an 1/4" projectile that explode on impact   ;D ;D

not any good idea ??

ok just joking , try to wrap it in one layer of aluminum foil,
last you bend in the end around the fuse and make it cover 1/8" of the fuse .

I dont know if it works , but at least its an idea to try .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »
Hmmm - tinfoil - used to wrap firecrackers with tinfoil - provides a shower of little pieces if it goes off in the air.  Might slide well down the tube too.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline benzon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »
Tinfoil.... Why didn't I think of that!  Careful use of tinfoil would even safely reduce the windage a tiny bit as the Black Cat goes out the barrel of the firecracker cannon.  Thanks, Dan and Tim K.

That idea brings me back to my matchstick rocket days circa 1959.  Anybody remember those particular homemade items that for some strange reason concerned my parents when I was 10 years old?  Dad..."You will not only put your eye out, but you will burn the house down to boot".   Mom..."It smells in here!"  Dad saved me.  Ha!  Am I old or what.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:54:28 PM »
hope you will show an video of the result , if it works well .

just an little question , why do you Americans call it tinfoil when its made from aluminum today ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:05:16 PM »
ījust one more idea , try to shape the tinfoil in the front end of the projectile to an cone shape .
it will give it an much better ballistic coefficient .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry