Author Topic: nasty insect bite  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
nasty insect bite
« on: April 21, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »
I was  in the  woods in Saturday, on Sunday, I noticed a red circle on my leg, now the center of the circle is all red. It doesn't itch, it just hurts when I push on it.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: nasty insect bite
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »
Where do you live? It could be a Brown Recluse spider bite and if that is the case you need to get to the hosipatal. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:28:14 PM »
My first guess would be a tick bite, sounds like a bullseye rash. :'(

Tim

http://www.canlyme.com/rash.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:36:05 PM »
Before ya go out next time, treat your clothing with a permethrin product, you'll never be "bugged" again!! ;D It last several weeks thru washing and drying, I've been using it for several years, haven't had a tick or bug bite since. Finally convinced my huntin partner to try it after he had two on him on consecutive hunting trips, he's been very happy since.  ;)

Tim

http://www.permethrin-repellent.com/permethrin1.htm

http://infectiousdiseases.about.com/od/prevention/p/permethrin.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
Where do you live? It could be a Brown Recluse spider bite and if that is the case you need to get to the hosipatal. Dale

Johnstown Pennsylvania
[

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 05:19:49 PM »
I would talk to a Doctor about it. Minnesota is a hot spot for Limes Disease, and the red ring is classic. The deer tick, feeds on blood for food, not just protein for egg laying, so they just hook on, eat, and drop back off in a short time, usually without your notice.  Freshly hatched ones that are so small you can hardly see them will feed on you.  If you have heard of deer ticks or Limes in Pennsylvania, by all means, get to a Doctor ASAP.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 05:45:45 PM »
I agree, without seeing it it sounds like a tick bite and the early symptoms of Lymes.
Simple, cheap antibiotic treatment is essentially 100% effective, but it needs to be done soon.  If you wait too long, the treatment is more intense and results not as good, but still not fatal.  Wait too long and your "percentage for bad things" does go up fast.

The brown recluse spider bite kills the first couple layers of skin with its venom.  Typically very itchy.  Usually confined to a relatively small area (dollar bill or smaller).  Skin dies and peels away. Ugly looking but for the most part harmless.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:50:11 AM »
I have a friend that got Lyme's, he didn't realize any thing was wrong for 3-4 weeks then when he went to the Dr. the Dr took a couple of weeks trying to decide what it was. it took about 8-9 months to get over it
As for the brown recluse not being very dangerous, i can show you some pictures that say they are very
dangerous, some bites eat out all the way to the bone.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:49:40 AM »
I have had a number of tick bites over the years but after a trip in the woods I found a bite and rash on my leg.  I put triple antibiotic ointment on it for a few days and it appeared go away.  Close to a year later the location swells up and ruptures.  I again apply antibiotic ointment and it appears to heal.  At that point I am packed and ready to hit the road for two weeks of camping and deer hunting.  While in camp it again ruptures and drains big time.  I again boil it out and apply antibiotic ointment.  I also take a picture of it with my digital camera because I plan on seeing a doctor when I get home.  I want a picture to show him because the history of closing and looking normal.

When I got home I called the doctor and got in that morning.  There is a history of Lyme’s disease in the area I live, but I do not know where I got bit.  I found out later that a lady who lived near the area I cut six cords of oak suffered from Lyme’s.  The doctor put me on an antibiotic.  By the way the doctor like the pictures because they gave him a progression of the bite.  By the time I went to the doctor it had almost healed over again.

The antibiotic worked and the doctor had me take a blood test that came up clear of Lyme’s disease.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 02:51:06 PM »
I just got back from the doctor, and it wasn't a insect bite. When I was going through the woods, I  got nicked by some briers, and I got  celloitis from it. So I'm  glad it wasn't a insect bite. So when  the drug store opens tomorrow, I'll go and get some antibiotics for it. Right now I have a hot pack over it to bring some blood into the infected area so it can heal faster.
[

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »
Boy good for you and it was not anything bad. I am really happy nothing bad would come of it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
There are some nasty plants out there.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
Next time I'll have to bring a first-aid kit in the woods  with me, so that way if I get bitten by a insect, or nicked by a plant, I'll be able to treat  it.
[

Offline Oldtimer

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »
For another reason to take Lyme disease seriously, it is a spirochete, the same type of germ as syphilis.  It will cause syphilis confirmatory tests to be positive.  Since they are now automated, they are often run with a battery of other tests, cause they are cheap.  The ironic thing is that the tests usually used for screening for syphilis will help rule out Lyme disease.  Unfortunately, this will take time to sort out and will bring you to the attention of the Health Department.  Even though they will tell you that there is nothing to worry about, your wife will never be convinced, and you will ever after have to account for every minute.  And you can forget about that hunting or fishing trip with the boys.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
Well, the rash is starting to clear up.
[

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »
Glad to hear it wasn't a bite.  I was at a meeting tonight, two friends who were there had been bit by a Brown Recluse and were comparing notes.  One was bit several years ago, he has a scare on his right leg about the size of a softball, and about 1/2 inch deep.  All the flesh down to mussel is gone.  The other fellow was bit about three weeks ago. He was wearing shorts while working under a house, the spider bit him on the privates, he has gone through a several medical procedures trying to save the organ, and has experience some very unusual problems from the medications. Hopefully he will get over it.

Many folks are not aware of this, but in addition to the Black Widow and Brown Recluse we now have another spider on the scene that also caused great problems similar to those caused by a Brown Recluse.  The spider was first seen in the Northwest, then in Ohio, we now have them in Texas, and several other states.  Google "Hobo Spider" and read up on this fellow.  Not like the Brown Recluse that hides, it will attack you.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 01:45:30 PM »
Its starting  to heal.
[

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
You guys remmeber that skin inffection I had back in April
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »
I think its coming back.
[

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: You guys remmeber that skin inffection I had back in April
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 06:25:18 PM »
try covering it with a vinegar soaked rag. I fought with a bout of ringworm for way over a year with all the modern wonder creams and lotions. Then thinking of the docs original words "you must have got this from a pet rubbing against your leg" I thought that if that was the case grandma must have had a cure for it. tried the vinegar (stings a bit) it was gone never to return in 2 days.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten