Author Topic: Ebay somethings going on?  (Read 552 times)

Offline handi243

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
Ebay somethings going on?
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
I've been looking on Scambay for a stock set for my contender every time i bid on a item not just in the gun parts but others there is a person with a id of a letter 3 stars and a letter then know matter what you bid you will loose. (a***a) check it out the next time you looking.

Offline jimdailey

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ebay somethings going on?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:44:10 PM »
I have noticed this on several tractor auctions ..also a few other similar bidder sign-ons', plan to see if it is a winner or feedback? 

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
You're right.  The only handles that aren't that way, are the seller's handles. The bidders are all a letter or number, followed by three stars, then another letter or number, followed by their feedback score.  Must be some new privacy thing ? 
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:13:37 AM »
they are trying to cut down on people going around them.   i just bought a set of saddlebags and when  my bud looked at it, my name was hidden.  no big deal really.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:48 AM »
There was a message about it a while back that stated it was a security measure to protect the bidders identity during the auction.

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:39:13 PM »
I've been looking on Scambay for a stock set for my contender every time i bid on a item not just in the gun parts but others there is a person with a id of a letter 3 stars and a letter then know matter what you bid you will loose. (a***a) check it out the next time you looking.

The reason that you loose is because other bidders have placed a proxy bid (of one type or another) with a maximum bid that exceeded yours. It's happened to me many times but I've also won bids in the last few seconds too. The thing with Ebay is to avoid getting sucked into bidding more than you really want to pay just because you want to win. I've seen this happen to many guys who end up paying full retail for items that may not even be new.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:56:51 PM »

The reason that you loose is because other bidders have placed a proxy bid (of one type or another) with a maximum bid that exceeded yours. It's happened to me many times but I've also won bids in the last few seconds too. The thing with Ebay is to avoid getting sucked into bidding more than you really want to pay just because you want to win. I've seen this happen to many guys who end up paying full retail for items that may not even be new.
I agree with this 110%. I have sold hundreds of items on Ebay. I have also bought many items there also. If someone makes a bid days before you bid and his highest bid is more than yours he will win. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!