Author Topic: The Polygamist thing...  (Read 7305 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: The Polygamist thing...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 07:15:18 PM »
The State went back in today when DNA testing showed that some of the so called adult mothers were in actuality minors themselves.  Now they have been added to the rolls of removed children.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 10:20:07 PM »
I still don't see that even if they had "probable cause" to search for an abused, raped 16 year old how in the heck that JUSTIFIES or makes it legal to grab over 400 kids of all ages and of both sexes?????????  Not a charge has been filed...  the supposed caller has been caught in Colorado but she was lying the whole time.  Now Texas should have to put the kids back.  So what if polygamy is illegal, so is a whole crap load of stuff each and every one of us do all the time but the state shouldn't get to come take our kids away just because we drive too fast or don't register a car or anything like that.  Polygamy doesn't justify taking young children away from their family.  Prosecute the men but why take the children?  There have been absolutely no charges or allegations of child abuse towards any other than teenage girls.  I personally don't care if the teenage girls are pregnant.  There are millions of them around the country but the states don't give a flying rats butt about them.  I guess I shouldn't say that I don't care, because I do.  I just don't think the state should care for this group of girls when it doesn't enforce the same roundup of all kids who are possibly at risk all over that state.  They aren't out rounding up all the girls in Houston on the pretext that they might possibly be raped by an older man.  They aren't rounding up all the kids in D/FW on the pretext that a girl in Kansas called in and lied and said that she had been raped by an older man.  They aren't splitting up mothers and children on false pretexts anywhere else.  This was just a "probable cause" to raid the compound.  I hope that every child gets a free lawyer that sues the state for $millions.  I'm not a lawsuit happy guy but in this case I think they would have to have some recourse against the heavy-handed tactics used by the state of Texas.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »
No guns here:  I agree and think it is a whole bunch of hooey.  I think that what has happened is that the great state of texus (by God your own self, and go fishin') got its pants in a bunch a number of years ago with the Waco fiasco and decided never to let anything like that happen again.  Heaven forbid the feds stage another armed raid on a church group (that the magnificent malitias of that great republic failed to do anything about), so to prevent that the state stepped in, or stepped on, or whatever.

And will someone tell me how, just short of a Star Trek episode, you can accurately determine age by dna analysis and state that someone is or is not old enough.  I think texus has stretched this one about as far as it could get stretched. 

I agree they should not have taken the children - what crap.  And why?  Most states usually take abused children and return them to the home.  Their thought is that even though it is an abusive home (which can be corrected through monitoring), it is a home environment which apparently so many abused children do not have.  LTV (loves to vent).  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:52 AM »
Are there both legal and moral laws involved here?
First---it makes no difference what the civil and criminal laws say--there is one final judge.
Second---if there are laws--civil and criminal--- being broken, even though a search for one thing which was not true identifies another which is true, if the first search was a legal search the second findings are legal and I think the second findings are legal no matter the circumstances of the first.
Most importantly---what is being done too these CHILDREN is wrong. they had no chance too consent even if they are young.
Waco is a non-issue, Apples and Oranges.
CPS is not an entity which makes laws they are sworn too uphold the laws, just as peace officers are. If you don't like the laws get them changed and I am sure CPS will follow the law---too the letter.
Children are not pawns too be played with as in a game of chess--are they.
How can you expect good, useful, citizens too come from a brainwashing compound. Brain washing is hardly an foundation for free thinking in a Republic. It is used for control and subjugation.
These men involved should be hung upside by the you know what, and left to die.
This is of course just my opinion---well maybe not just mine.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 01:25:27 AM »
I think their are several people hear should run for some office. You already have every thing figured out way ahead of anyone else, you should be on obama's wagon you sound just like him you are going to change.
As far as putting abused children back in the home if that is EVER done it is not within a week or two, and then the home is monitored, in this case i am sure some of you would have another
little fit if that was done to a RELIGIOUS GROUP.
You keep comparing this to what happens in Houston or D/FW or any other place, the difference those girls are not in a COMPOUND locked up and taught from birth to submit and do as the
elders say. I am sure some of you will say that is OK, Do you want your children in a place like that, guess you do you don't want to look at what is going on, if the State of Texas didn't get
involve would you go, no you would set home and gripe, thats all your KIND do.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 02:19:54 AM »
Screw the rights of the adults of that compound men & women. Maybe just maybe a few of those moms will realize whats been happening to their daughters is wrong. If one young girl isnt raped this week because of the actions of our evil govt , well then its worth it. Or maybe we could just burn them  out like WACO Did TEXAS misuse their powers, maybe. But if you were standing out side a house & you knew there were young girls inside being raped . You would go in & stop it Yes or No. If you say no, you are wrong. I dont care what god you believe in . Our children are to be protected at all cost
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 02:46:33 AM »
i think some need to seperate emotion from law.   

like someone said, i dont like what i THINK was going on,  but any of you who say you KNOW what was going on for sure,  are not being honest.  if the state and the officals investigating dont know, you sure as hell cant know either.   you are like me,  you THINK you know.   

years ago there was an accusation of child molesting at a daycare.  it turned into a national media witch hunt.   turns out it was all hooey, and ruined those peoples lives forever; because some took off running before they had the FACTS.   
    innocent until proven guilty mean anything to anyone anymore?   you sure can tell who has had dealings with an over zealous prosecutor in the past and who hasnt.   when the media gets involved, facts mean little when the wrong person is trying to make a name for themselves.   remember the duke lacrosse fiasco?    it happens more than some of you think.
     all i am saying is get the facts first,  and FOLLOW THE LAW TO GET THEM.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 04:01:20 AM »
Myronman3
that is exactly the way it should go, some one has to get the facts but you can not do it standing behind the fence.  all these people were involved in crime (polygamy) so all should be investigated.
I heard on the news yesterday that their is a chance that some of the children were shipped from
other compounds so they could have better parents. Seems that their are several of these compounds
that are related, the one in Texas is the "heaven" or top one that only the best get to come to. If
these children's DNA does not match anyone else at the compound, then who are and where are the parents, this can not be done over night. and if it takes weeks and they only find one child out of place
or one underage child abused then it is worth it.
Rex

Offline jimster

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 04:21:23 AM »
hey there Rex666...think your a tad carried away with the "Man some of you need to be on the conspiracy forum. "...deal here....and I didn't say anything about Waco either......you don't have to put words in my mouth there....

What I said stands up pretty good....Yup, they should be investigated...if they go too fast and grab a bunch of people with no proof...they will pay for it.
I hear what your saying also.....there is a chance of this, and there is a chance of that...and it seems this...and IF the DNA....that's all find and dandy too, no biggy to me, cause if any of them are not found to have broken any laws...Texas will flip the bill for that, and any of them that broke laws will be dealt with.

I just don't hear anyone talking conspiracy here though....I do hear people bring up due process and not making people guilty before they are even charged with anything.

Just my 2 cents here...

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 05:03:19 AM »
WELL JIMSTER
maybe you have not read all the post, some people have all ready started building a conspiracy before the facts are in. I didn't say YOU said anything about Waco, YUP they have to be investigated, they
have grounds for grabbing up a bunch (polygamy is illegal in the U.S.) but some people have the State at fault be for the investigation even got started. And since it is the State you won't have to worry about paying for it, unless YOU live here YUP my $.02 ;D
Rex

Offline flyboy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 05:07:11 AM »
This is all going to shake out.  There has to be an investigation to determine exactly what is going on.   IF the great state of Texas has truly flubbed the dub, they will soon be paying enough so nobody in the FLDS compound will have to work ever again...  at least the leaders. 

And this whole operation will strain the resources of even as large  a state as Texas.

BUT!  What is happening is against the law. Polygamy is unlawful, as is the "marriage" of underage girls. That is statutory rape, or rape under the law.  Of ccourse, if everybody that does that sort of thing were prosecuted, court systems, not to mention jails would have to at least double in size. 

But, practicality has to rule. Who is going to pay for the whole thing?   We can only hope Texas has a case, or the media vultures will not have to work much, either, what with covering the suits, trials, and assorted other nasties that will surface.

Of course, girls of 12-16 generally are not emotionally mature, regardless of society in past generations.
But arranged marriages have worked for centuries in other societies. 

I think that if the girls, women, whatever, are of legal age, (by the wisdom of Congress) legally,  they may choose.   

My question has always been; are these children being educated properly?  Can they make their way in the world,  and can they preform  even to the low standards required of  students in public schools? Is anyone insuring that right for the children?    What happens when the limited resources of the group become overcrowded?   As has been done in other places, will the leadership eventually  decide there are too many boys cutting into their choices of young stuff, and ban them from the community, where they will become welfare recipients? Probably. 

The Constitution provides that religion shall not be proscribed, like in Europe , where they have "Landes Kirchen". (Government sanctioned churches)   Other religions are strongly discriminated against.   

In this country, we have gone overboard in allowing any bizarre manifestation which can loosely be called worship to be given the  same credence as the major religions.  

Frankly, I am tired of the whole media hoopla:  " Poor us," from the FLDS, and the whining about rights from the pundits. 
I'm just going to sit back and watch the war.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 05:38:25 AM »
Well, from what I've been reading, the women and children have been taught from very early to distrust and lie to outsiders. They are supposed to have been caught giving different names and calling different women their mothers, etc. I suspect by now some of the cops are ready to tattoo numbers on foreheads.

From what I've read about the founding of assorted churches/religions/whatever, more than a few were set up by power hungry perverts wanting some group to fund their life of drunken and drug abusing debauchery and supply someone for their beds whenever they wanted, male or female, any age. The other bunch mentioned above fits right in with that, and there were several others much like that back in the 60's, if you recall, mostly based on some screwball "eastern religion" someone made up.

These groups seldom survive the founder but, if one does, it can go legit and become a respectable and responsible organization. I advise against looking too closely at the early days of any religious organization, your own may not withstand close scrutiny.

I said "MAY" not, I did not say "WILL" not.

Someone noted above that the women and kids were not fenced in. Actually, they were, sort of. They were fenced in by what they believed they would find outside and by the fear of leaving the known. They saw no hope outside. Outside was filled with strange and fearsome people and beliefs, and horrible /something/ no one should want to know more about. The strongest chains are the least tangible.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 05:43:12 AM »
Flyboy
They had a young man on the news a few days back that had been raised in a like compound,
not this one but one that operates the same. He said that when the boys get to be 13-14,
(when the sap starts rising) then where taken to some large town and told go find a life.
What he said was these boys have been raised in a compound, have no idea how to survive in the real world, they have to learn very quickly how to survive. He said not all are carried away, they have to keep
some, to work the fields and anything else the elders don't want to do and for future generations.
He said that when he was carried away and put out in (i think he said Denver) he was scared and had no idea what to do, now he considers himself one of the lucky ones, he had come to Texas to testify
or what ever he could do.
Rex

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2008, 06:16:27 AM »
So some think its ok to invade then make a case , probable cause ?
religious freedom , as long as it fits your definition ?
this is a test of our laws vs. a knee jerk reaction , rule of law ?
If the laws can be bent to fit the govt. as they wish we may as well give up all freedoms and be subjects .
Freedom does not mean we live in a perfect world or that we have to decide the fate of everyone else . It means we up hold the law and live by the law . If there are laws being broken then enforce them , but do it the right way ,
YOU CAN"T EXPECT BIG BROTHER TO TREAT YOU DIFFERENT THAN OTHER SUBJECTS ! so be careful what you call for or accept !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2008, 06:50:26 AM »
Shootall they had probable cause to go in, then found other things going on, do you really think
they should have backed off and said we saw plenty wrong but not the girl we went in for show
lets go home.

Maybe they should have sent in a game warden first.
Look at  the game warden  in your state, i know that Texas and several states around have a law saying
the game warden can go in any where, your house any where WITHOUT a warrant, if a law officer is with him and sees something he can i guess go back and get a warrant.

I never here anyone complain about the game warden making an illegal search.

When i think about it maybe their was no 16 year old, maybe their was no phone call at all, maybe the
Rangers had heard enough, seen enough, smelt enough, maybe their right knee ached. What they found was WRONG, but some want to say it is not what you find but how you find it, now if i have something to fear, if i am hiding something, i would not like this.
as long as i am obeying the law i don't worry about some one coming to my house.
Rex

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 07:09:39 AM »
where i live the Game Warden does not need a warrant ITS THE LAW !
My point is that if there was a call with the technology today it could have been documented , the idea that the police knew things were illegal and could not build a case seems wrong .
My point is DO IT BY THE LAW SO THERE IS NO GETTING OFF DUE TO ERROR ! Am i the only one seeing some lawyer asking to see proof of the call , not having such produced ask for dismissal because all evidence was gotten under false pretense ? Look at the O J trial , you can call it a black vs. white thing but if no mistakes were made and the case was strong things may have been different !
Don't get me wrong , i hate what seems to have gone on in that compound , but to relax the point of law and loose the case is stupid !

Offline flyboy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 07:12:57 AM »
So some think its ok to invade then make a case , probable cause ?
religious freedom , as long as it fits your definition ?
this is a test of our laws vs. a knee jerk reaction , rule of law ?
If the laws can be bent to fit the govt. as they wish we may as well give up all,
YOU CAN"T EXPECT BIG BROTHER TO TREAT YOU DIFFERENT THAN OTHER SUBJECTS ! so be careful what you call for or accept !

Presuming rather a lot, aren't you?   We all don't know much, except what the media give us.   I say we have to give the Texans the benefit of the doubt, that they know the law, and there is something there, rather than running around screaming Poor Them, Conspiracy, Liberalism,  Situational Ethics, or any other of the battle cries of the well intentioned. 

I can remember the shameful pictures of the storm troopers removing Eliaan Gonzalez from his U. S. family at gunpoint, Ruby Ridge, and Waco.  I hope something was learned from them.

If Texans get their heads handed to them, so be it, but one way or the other, maybe, just maybe, something positive will happen from turning over  that particular rock.

As far as educating children so they will not be a drain on society for generations,  Damn right!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 07:15:58 AM »
another point is that as long as we are free we will have people abused , hurt and harmed in all manner of ways . It is just a fact . laws are still being passed after over 200 years of existence of this country . The sacrifice made by these people is no less than the solider on a battle field it is what allows us to be free . We have the right to pick good or evil , that is the price of freedom . It is good that most side with good ! And we have laws to try and guide us in most choices .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:08 AM »
flyboy , didn't presume anything , only offered that the rule of law should be preserved , and all of us are equal under the law . If its ok to enter their home with false ( If in fact it is false ) information then it is ok to do the same at your house and mine . You will have to excuse me for wanting to protect my home from invasion with out a real cause !
It would appear this had been going on for some time , why all of a sudden did it things go off looking like there was little planning ?
With that many children involved Social Services could have visited and checked on the educational needs and how they were being addressed or many other standards .

Offline jimster

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »
Well, Game Wardens got some clout, but I kicked on off my land years back there Rex666...he was on my land and approached me, ruined my morning...then he asked me if I had a permit to be carrying my pistol covered up...I told him I didn't need any permit it was my land. He then told me I had to show him anyways, I told him no again...I then asked him what he was doing. He said he was looking for something. I told him to get the looking done pretty quick, or I'd have his car towed out of my driveway, which he parked in about 700 yrds away.  He got mad, I got mad...so I told him if he would have treated me with some respect on my property I would have been a lot friendlier.  He cooled down a bit....then left.  Game Wardens got clout, ya, but they need to be professional too.  Specially if it's my land and we are both armed. 
Most game wardens are OK...that was not too nice asking me for a permit to carry on my land.  He knew it was mine too.
I guess we could beat this to death...some think maybe everything they did was all fine, some don't...it will wash out in the end. But Shootall has the same point I brought up, careful what you say is all OK...might be us in the same kind of pickle some day.  Not everybody lays down for that either.  I don't think none of us like what we think was going on there...for sure, but what we think don't mean a thing...and they STILL ain't charged anyone with anything, and that's not looking good either.  I also stand by my statement...if the State jumped the gun and and don't have anything yet on ALL the people...they sure will try hard to find something.  That's just the reality of what happens sometimes when a case starts to fall apart.  Hopefully, they will get to the bottom of anyone who broke any laws, and not beat up anyone who did not who got thrown into the mess with the rest.  What's really bad, as if they jumped the gun so bad a lawyer gets the gulity ones off...due to them not following a process...now that would be the sad part. 

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2008, 11:09:50 AM »
The ignorance and arrogance of some of you is just beyond me. How you could even start to call yourself Americans and for sure Patriots…

First if you believe in America then you should be mad as hell right now over this whole thing… Why? Because the rights granted to us by the Constitution of The United States of America states these things in our BILL OF RIGHTS:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Amendment II
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Amendment III
No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
Amendment IV
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Amendment V
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
Amendment VII
In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
Amendment VIII
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
Amendment IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Amendment X
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Let’s look at 1 and 4… these have both been violated… It is wrong they had no right to go in and as someone else said it is Waco without the bloodshed…

Those of you who are passing judgment on these people just because you do not agree with their lifestyle or religion… Get the hell over it… it is not your place to judge them. And for those of you who are trying to say those kids are better off now with the state than with their families… hmmm maybe your kids need to be taken from you for no justified reason and let’s see if you are still singing the same tune. Bottom line right or wrong they have the right to practice their religion… If there are children being abused then those who did the abuse should be dealt with in accordance with the law but to label all kids victims and all fathers molesters with no evidence is just plain wrong and if we as Americans stand idly by and allow it to happen soon the rest of us will get our turn to be violated.

So whether you are to ignorant or arrogant to see what is happening soon you will and by then when you decide to stand up your rights will be gone and all you will get is a bullet for your troubles… So go ahead and nurse on the tit of mass media and get your belly full.
Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2008, 01:32:21 PM »
Come back to the compound little Mary & little Cathy. the old mans got rights ,so yeah you re both gonna probably get raped tonight
By who who knows maybe your dad maybe your uncle who knows
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2008, 04:12:54 PM »
The State went back in today when DNA testing showed that some of the so called adult mothers were in actuality minors themselves.  Now they have been added to the rolls of removed children.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 When did D.N.A. start telling age?
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
For those pissing and moaning about age... I was 18 when I married my first wife... she was 16 and her parents gave consent to the marriage... 3 years later we had our first child and 3 more years later we split. So seeing how I married her at 16 I guess that makes me a child molester by most of you folks standards huh... or lets look at my current relationship I am 36 and Heather is 23 so when I was 21 she was 9 oh my how could I do that... when she was 16 I was already 28...wow I am such a bad guy.... when we met she was 20 and I was 32 dang cradle robber I must be... Yeah but you know what I see nothing wrong with 2 people who are of a mature mind set being married or together as long as both consent and both want to be in the relationship...

Just for the record here is the law for each state....

United States: Usually 18. Most states, however, allow marriage at a younger age with parental and/or judicial consent. Some states allow marriage at a still younger age if the female is pregnant.
Alabama: 18, 16 with parental consent (statute).
Alaska: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Arizona: no statutory minimum, those under 18 must have parental consent, those under 16 must receive approval of a superior court judge and parental consent. (statute)
Arkansas: 18, 16 for females and 17 for males with parental consent.
California: no statutory minimum, those under 18 must receive approval of a superior court judge and parental consent.
Colorado: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Connecticut: 18, 16 with parental consent.
District of Columbia: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Delaware: 18, 16 for females with parental consent.
Florida: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Georgia: 18 generally, 15 with parental consent, 16 without parental consent if pregnant.
Hawaii: 18, 15 with parental consent.
Idaho: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Illinois: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Indiana: 18, 17 with parental consent.
Iowa: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Kansas: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Kentucky: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Louisiana: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Maine: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Massachusetts: 18 generally for first marriage, 16 with parental and judicial consent
Maryland: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Michigan: 18 generally, 16 with parental consent. 15 and under with parental consent and probate judge approval.
Minnesota: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Mississippi: 21, 17 for males, 15 for females, with parental consent.
Missouri: 18, 15 with parental consent.
Montana: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Nebraska: 19, 17 with parental consent.
Nevada: 18, 16 with parental consent.
New Hampshire: 18 generally; 14 for males and 13 for females, in cases of "special cause" with parental consent and court permission.
New Jersey: 18 generally, 16 with parental consent.
New Mexico: 18, 16 with parental consent.
New York: 18 generally, 16 with parental consent, 14 with parental and judicial consent.
North Carolina: 18 generally, 16 with parental consent, unlimited in case of pregnancy or birth of child with parental consent.
North Dakota: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Ohio: 18 for males, 16 for females. Parental consent needed for minors.
Oklahoma: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Oregon: 18 generally, 17 with parental consent. The consenting parent or guardian must accompany the applicant when applying for the marriage license. There is no waiver for anyone under the age of 17.
Pennsylvania: 18 generally, 16 with Birth Certificate and written consent of parent or guardian. Anyone under the age of 16 needs parental consent and the approval of a Judge of the Orphans Court. (statute)
Puerto Rico: 21, 18 with parental consent.
Rhode Island: 18, 16 for females with parental consent.
South Carolina: 18, 16 with parental consent.
South Dakota: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Tennessee: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Texas: 18, 16 with parental consent. Possibly younger with judicial consent or if person under 18 had previously married and divorced.
Utah: 18 generally for first marriage, 16 with parental consent, 15 with court approval.
Vermont: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Virginia: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Washington: 18, 17 with parental consent. May be waived by superior court judge.(statute)
West Virginia: 18, 16 with parental consent, under 16 (unspecified limit) with parental and judicial consent
Wisconsin: 18, 16 with parental consent.
Wyoming: 18, 16 with parental consent.

So for all you bandwagon jumpers why don’t we wait and see the evidence and facts before we pass judgment on these people... if indeed there where children under the age of 16 who got pregnant then an investigation should be conducted to find out by whom and the age of the father. If they were married and within the limits of the law then leave them the hell alone and mind your own business which is a good idea anyway. If not then take those that broke the law and give them a trial.

Matt
― Albert Einstein

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2008, 02:45:25 AM »
it's funny how you can disagree with someone on one issue, and totally agree on another with that same person.   
    there are a whole lot of people here jumping to conclusions and assuming they KNOW the true story.    i am willing to bet when things calm down there isnt going to be as much here as is being made out to be.   from where i am standing it looks like an overreaction.    time will tell. 
     again,  like some have said, you have to be careful.  government agencies and the media have been known to sensationalize things to justify bad choices; and are often very slow to admit mistakes that were made.   often the little guy gets trampled in the stampede.   and in this case, there are undoubtedly some innocent people getting trampled along with some who MIGHT have broken a law.   that makes me mighty uncomfortable.
    it is easy to accept when it is someone else getting screwed,  but put yourself in that situation.  what if there were some crackpots where in your church, and they came in and stomped all over you and your family because of 'guilt by association'?   i guarentee  it wouldnt be so easy to swallow then.     

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2008, 04:59:03 AM »
MATT
did you force your wife to marry you? was she locked up in a compound when you found her(picked her out)
is polygamy still illegal in the U.S.? You are not talking apples and apples
Some where in the constitution, not sure where i read it, not a cons. thumper like some.
it says if a citizen sees wrong being done it is his cons. duty to do something about it
Like i have said before and every one waltz's around it how would you like you children treated,
how about your wife? to Marry a 16 year old WITH CONSENT is one thing to raise her from
birth (and don't let her have any other choices) for that pourpose is another. May be we should
use a little common sense here, do you really think it is better to leave those children there, where
the little girls will be brain washed, just like their mothers were. YES WE SHOULD BE MAD, I AM MAD AT PEOPLE THAT THINK EVERY THING WAS ROSY IN THAT COMPOUND AND WE SHOULD HAVE LEFT IT THAT WAY. It is their right as Americans to treat their children and wives the way they see fit isn't that what you are saying. forget about their religious beliefs or any other beliefs, do they have the right
as American to treat THEIRS the way they have? ??? They have already said their were girls 13-14 that are pregnant, and they are trying to find out who is married to who, maybe some of you should listen  a little more all this who can marry who at what age in every state didn't mention that it was OK to force any one to marry.
Rex

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2008, 05:28:02 AM »
jimster
that might work in the great state of michigan, but i am afraid you would be in deep dodo here
different laws in different places, and since we are discussing some thing going on in TEXAS
then maybe we should talk about TEXAS law. Texas law does not allow you to lock up little girls
until you are ready to use them, you might check that out in michigan, different strokes for different
folks
Rex

Offline jimster

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2008, 06:00:56 AM »
Ya, whatever Rex...sounds like you got a good handle on exactly what happened and who did it all. 

Offline T.R.

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:58 AM »
There are Mormons and there are Latter Day Saints.  The two should not be confused.

LDS folks are widely seen across the USA, Canada, and South America.  Mormons are less widely distributed outside the western states.

SOME Mormons continue to follow the teachings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young.  These two preached in favor of plural marriage, blood atonement (Masonic based ritual murder), and many other doctrines.

The outrage many Americans have about this current situation is identical to early Mormon history.  Mormons were run out of many towns before the big move to Utah.

TR

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2008, 06:12:18 AM »
Ya, whatever Rex...sounds like you got a good handle on exactly what happened and who did it all. 

Sure does.... he must be one of those special people…  ::)
― Albert Einstein