Author Topic: The Polygamist thing...  (Read 7299 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: The Polygamist thing...
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2008, 05:19:40 AM »
T.R. I take exception to your statement and sent you a personal message about your misguided thinking?

Good!  The courteous thing to do.  No sense in another public fight of this nature.  But please relax... heck!  you should hear how some talk about Catholics!  ;)

On topic bit:  Has anybody ever heard of that "brittle bone syndrome" they mentioned on the news as a possible reason for the inordinate number - if the number of broken bones is unusually large - of broken bones?  I've only heard of it in old folk...
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #151 on: May 01, 2008, 06:37:00 AM »
it seems the hardest thing for alot of people to accept is that other people have the same freedoms they do !

Broken bones , whats normal for a group of children , seems like when i was in school we were always writing on someones cast . Had one myself twice !

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #152 on: May 01, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »
I don't know the statics but I am sure less than 10% of children end up with a broken bone. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2008, 06:44:55 AM »
where would you find a like group to compare ? would it not depend on location , sports played , work etc ?
i wouldn't venture a guess cause i don't know ! I find it counter productive to admit lack of knowledge then present a conclusion based on at best a wild azz guess ! but that's just me !

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2008, 06:57:32 AM »
I don't know about the bones seemed high to me but i don't keep up with such. I spent some time
trying to look up the % of  14-18 year olds being pregnant, I could not find found 25 and down
and 25 and down % of abortions but not 14-18 year olds some say 60% is about right, Man that
sounds like lots to me. I am 60 years old sooooo i have not kept up much with what 14-17 year old girls
are doing other than acting and looking silly at the mall JMO :-\
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #155 on: May 01, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »
I didn't think the number of broken bones so unusual, among boys, either.

I am 60 years old sooooo i have not kept up much with what 14-17 year old girls are doing

Me either, my granddaughters are a bit younger then that.  But cummon Rex!  Some 18 year olds find old men interesting!  If ya got game!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #156 on: May 01, 2008, 07:34:50 AM »
I also have tried to find statics on broken bone of children in the United States. This is really the only study I could find. According to this study 10% would be crazy high. Looks like it's time for another poll. Dale           http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/4/3/194
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #157 on: May 01, 2008, 07:50:04 AM »
TEN PERCENT!!!!    that settles it!!!   get out the ropes and let's start hanging people!!!!!

next we will hear that 50% had stitches at one point or another.   the compound i grew up in, 100% of the boys had cuts so bad that they needed stitches!!!!    :o OMG!!!!  of course, when you take the hype out of it, calm down, and look at it in an objective manner,  all that means is that my brother and i both had stitches when we were kids.  big deal.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #158 on: May 01, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »
the broken bone don't seem too high to me, i waited till i was 26-27 before i broke any, should have broke my neck a lot sooner, had some stitches it had to be bad to make the 22 mile one way trip just
to get stitches, put a band aid on it or wrap it up, first soak it in kerosene.
AtlLaw you do as you please, most of us boys will, but through the years i have noticed that most 18-20
year old girls were interest in old men as long as the old men had a pocket full of money or till the bar closed. just MY observation, your milage may differ. ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #159 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:24 AM »
funny how money works for women and beer for men !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #160 on: May 01, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
most 18-20 year old girls were interest in old men as long as the old men had a pocket full of money or till the bar closed.

And I thought it was my good looks and charm! :o  Go ahead, burst my bubble...  :'(      :D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #161 on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:46 AM »
Oh, BTW, Dale's poll about broken bones, so far, 85% of those responding broke at least one bone before the age of 18.  Now admittedly this is a small sampling, and those that frequent these pages are known to be unusually virile and enamored with the more active manly pursuits; men among men as it were.  Nevertheless...  ;D
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #162 on: May 01, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »
I have 7 children, and only one broke a bone while growing up.  Skating, her elbow.  I broke my wrist while fishing.  Fell on some rocks on the side of the river.  I am 54.  So, the broken bones does sound a bit high at the compound.  I have three sons who went hunting, fishing, tree climbing, playing sand lot football, etc, but it was my youngest daughter who broke her elbow while skating. 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #163 on: May 01, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Brittle bones could be a genetic fault.  FYI, at one time the Pa Amish community had the highest incident of birth defects in the USA.  They alleviated that by "arranging" marriages with Amish folks from other (West Coast for instance) groups.

I would imagine that in today's environment, it would be hard for a kid to break a bone falling off the sofa playing game boy and too, the diet of todays youths is better even with the obesity. 

When I was a kid growing up (I'm 70), it seemed there was always somebody around with a cast on an arm or a leg. 

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #164 on: May 01, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
Personally, I try not to judge any other person. Maybe, it's time to end this condemnation of others without proof? Do any of you really believe anything the news tells you. or is this just something you want to hear?
Getting to sound like gossip!
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2008, 01:23:53 AM »
And now these damned Texas NAZIS have taken a newborn baby away from the mother!  Their offenses and sense of the children being assets of the state seems to mount every day!  Might as well have Hitler in control down there.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:33 AM »
In reality they reunited the baby with the under age mother that was already being held !
NEXT MYTH ?

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2008, 06:57:10 AM »
What do you mean, SB, "getting to sound like gossip"? That is certainly giving them the benefit of the doubt. IMO,  Its been a one dimensional media lynching (aka circus) since day one.  The only concern of the media has been to keep their ratings up! 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
beemanbeme, ratings nothing more !

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2008, 03:11:28 AM »
This is how Illinois handles these cases:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/05/05/news/doc481e74ec84896225231526.txt

ruins peoples lives?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2008, 08:49:38 PM »
This is how Illinois handles these cases:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/05/05/news/doc481e74ec84896225231526.txt

ruins peoples lives?

"Mistakes are made, said DCFS spokesman Kendall Marlowe" ..... yes, but by the thousands??????? That's just wrong!!!
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"