Author Topic: Question about the Pardner Waterfowl 10 Gauge  (Read 922 times)

Offline Maplicito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Question about the Pardner Waterfowl 10 Gauge
« on: April 22, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
I have a 10 gauge Pardner Waterfowl on order, so I'm trying to figure out a few things about it.  I've read through the FAQ, and just want to make sure I understand it correctly.  The Waterfowl is listed as using the SB2 Receiver - because it's the SB2, and not the SB1, my understanding is that I can get H&R rifle barrels, and put them on the receiver if I'd like.  Am I understanding correctly?

If so, does this tend to be a price effective way to add calibers to the gun safe?  Or is it not such a savings in money, and not worth the hassle, and just a better idea to buy a whole new gun to get the next caliber?

I'm looking forward to the answers this site seems to be so good for... thanks for reading as always.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Question about the Pardner Waterfowl 10 Gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »
No, you'd be incorrect. The 10ga shotgun and 12ga USH frames are designated as SB2, but the inside dimension of the frame is bigger to handle the 1.2XX" barrels, compared to other shotgun and rifle barrels which are 1.1XX" in diameter at the barrel swell, so rifle barrels won't fit the 10ga frame, plus they have a large firing pin and surrounding hole that isn't suitable for high pressure rifle cartridges.

You'll have to get an SB1 shotgun for either Huntsman barrels or standard 12ga and smaller shotgun barrels, or an SB2 rifle frame and have the other barrels fitted.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

All model SB2 Handi-Rifles™ and model SB1 Pardner® shotguns can be fitted with any shotgun barrel except the 10 gauge. All barrels are blue finish only.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »
Oh well... I was hoping I'd struck it lucky ;D  Thanks for strengthening my resolve to never take anything for granted though - I woulda been pretty choked if I'd just assumed I was right, got ahold of a rifle barrel, and found it wouldn't fit right!  Thanks Tim.

Bryan

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:03:59 AM »
And looking closer at how their program works - being a Canadian resident, I'm out of luck anyway.  I love being Canadian, but sometimes I'm truly jealous of you guys down south!