Author Topic: nef 223 rifle  (Read 486 times)

Offline tyra

• Trade Count: (4)
nef 223 rifle
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
i have purchased a new rifle in .223. I got the literature on the rifle and it stated do not use any surplus ammo or anything that is not up to sammi standards. This bums me out, as i have 600 rounds of surplus. will shooting this ammo damage the rifle? any of you had any experiences shooting surplus ammo in the nef?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: nef 223 rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
See the info in the FAQs and Help sticky on milsurp.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
TYRA

Aside from H&R saying to not use it , in most cases it shoots like crap , if you like 4" groups at 50 yards and stuck brass , well you've got the right ammo .

Remington and Winchester ammo both do very well in the 223 but handloading is were it realy shines .  ;)

stimpy

Short cut

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,131527.0.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »
I agree with stimpy, I've got two handi rifles in 223 and handloads make them sing.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »
Just about all manufacturers of 223 civilian rifles warn against using Military ammo in their guns. The black guns maybe an exception. As Stimpy pointed out , they usually do not shoot very well. Those full metal jacketed bullets are not known for their accuracy. If it was me, I would pull them down, dump the powder and save some bullets for sighting in, and discard the rest. Then use the cases for new loads with powder and bullets you can get over the counter. After firing them the first time, punch out the primers and clean up the pockets and start over as if fired once in your rifle. You could sell them if you do not reload and buy civilian ammo. You will not get as many rounds, but at least what you get will be safe and much more accurate. Stay away from foreign makers of 223 ammo as well, usually they do not do well either. Just my 2 cents worth
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.