Author Topic: H&R 22-250 problems  (Read 770 times)

Offline JimMc

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R 22-250 problems
« on: April 24, 2008, 04:41:05 PM »
New to this forum. Have a 22-250 serial hy204611. This rifle has on several occasions split the cases of reloaded rounds. The priner has the machine marks imprinted on them when the casing is removed from the chamber. Does this rifle have a headspace problem or is this a characteristic of the 22-250? Reloaded rounds have been medium charges, nothing heavy.

Thanks in advance

Jim Mc

Offline james25889

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
Re: H&R 22-250 problems
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »
i have a remington 700 in 22-250 and it splits the cases sometimes. i think it has to do more with caliber than gun but hey i dont know much

Offline jrhweldon

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »
 measure , measure , measure , case length , case diameter , case shoulder length and compare split case measurements with a fresh reload and a new cartridge if the y measure very close head space should be ok , how many times have the cases been reloaded , where they annealed , trimed to length , how hot where they loaded , check these things and you should find an answer good luck jrhweldon

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:41:32 AM »
Improper full length resizing can move the shoulder back too far and create head space issues. That shoulder should only kissed hard enough to enable chambering a reloaded round. Insufficient inside neck lube will pull the neck longer and give the impression of incorrect sizing by failure to chamber. The sharper tapered case makes it extremely difficult for a new handloader to diagnose its quirks when used in a break open action firearm. This taper can also aid in stretched cases and weakening at the web. The above posts covered all good points. Now you have to narrow down what the problem might be.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline JimMc

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »
measure , measure , measure , case length , case diameter , case shoulder length and compare split case measurements with a fresh reload and a new cartridge if the y measure very close head space should be ok , how many times have the cases been reloaded , where they annealed , trimed to length , how hot where they loaded , check these things and you should find an answer good luck jrhweldon
I did measure all aspects of a new case and a fired case. The shoulder was too long on the fired case. I checked my full sizing die and found it to be wrong. I adjusted it and now the cases work fine in the rifle. I do not see the same markings on the fired cases that I saw before the die adjustments.. Maybe I did something right for a change. Thanks you sir for the information.

Jim Mc

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
Also depends on where the case is split.  If the neck is split, just throw it out, that is normal stuff.  Split on the sholder or half way down is a different thing.  Try this:  load an empty sized primed piece of brass and fire the primer.  Eject the case and measure how high the primer is above the case.  When an empty primed case is fired the primer blows back against the breach and pushes the brass forward against the sholder, the amount of primer above the base of the brass is the true headspace of the rifle.  When a loaded round is fired the case first goes forward and then is forced back against the breach flattening the primer flush with the brass.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.