Author Topic: MKIII or Buckmark?  (Read 3834 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
MKIII or Buckmark?
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:26:35 AM »
well i went into scheels yesterday and  held a mkIII and a Buckmark. i liked the feel of both but im just wondering what one is more reliable? I don't really plan on doing anything to pistol as far as customizations only thing I'm going to do is put on a red dot.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: MKIII or Buckmark?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:35:08 AM »
  I don't really plan on doing anything to pistol as far as customizations only thing I'm going to do is put on a red dot.

I would go with the Buckmark.
If you wanted to add aftermarket goodies then think about the Ruger.
I am more of a fan of the Ruger MK2 than of the newer MK3

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »
  I don't really plan on doing anything to pistol as far as customizations only thing I'm going to do is put on a red dot.

I would go with the Buckmark.
If you wanted to add aftermarket goodies then think about the Ruger.
I am more of a fan of the Ruger MK2 than of the newer MK3

yep.......what he said.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:44:54 AM »
I have a Buckmark.  No frills, not even a RedDot.  It eats anything I feed it and no jam-ups or misfires.  At 25yds I can hit the bull, well, most of the time.  For me, that's pretty good.  I like my Buckmark.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:16:14 AM »
I have the buckmark camper , very easy gun to shoot well

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:23:53 AM »
Well it looks like its going to be the browning I think. I was looking at the site and theese are the three choices i would i like to buy. 1. Buckmark contour 7.25 URX 2. Buckmark lite splash 7.25 URX (dont like the splash color really but i like the style of the gun) 3.Buckmark bullseye target stainless.

I really like the style of the first pistol stated and the only reason i put the bulls eye target as last that seems like alot of money to me for a .22 pistol. Would it be that noticeable in accuracy from one model to the  other? I like the way the splash looks to except for the  paint on it.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:29:24 AM »
I have both, the grips and aluminum frame are nice on the Browning, trigger is nicer too, in fact, I plan to carry the Browning while hunting as the lighter weight will help.  The impression I get from the two is that the Ruger might be stronger, all steel and beefy.  As far as accuracy goes and reliability, they seem the same.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 08:29:59 PM »
I have the buckmark, and it is a great little gun, had it for 5 years I think, and hasn't given me the slightest hiccup. 

The one thing I do like about the ruger is the cocking mechanism.  Other than that... I think they are about even.  The one thing that separates them is you can get the browning for cheaper.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
The only experience I have had with the Buckmark was the one my son had.  After he had it repaired twice for the same problem, he traded it off.  I have had no problems with my Ruger Mark II or any of the other six Rugers that I own.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »
One bad thing about the camper: the sight rail is made of plastic.  I broke it.  They replaced it for free. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
The Ruger MKII is the best buy, and they are out there even nib.
Jim

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
I've have the MKI and the MKII. Both are totally dependable and reliable - no breakdowns in over 30 years on the one and nearly 20 years on the other. Both were purchased very used. My boss has a MKIII that went back to the factory for better fit and finish. It functioned fine, but he thought it should have 'looked' better. When it came back, it did.

Never have had a Buckmark, though I shot a few that belonged to friends when they first came out with the Silhouette model in the late '80's. We thought it to be a very fine pistol and well worth its price.

Gun Tests Magazine March 2008 rated the Ruger MKIII an A+. but gave the Buckmark a C+. A good read - and a personal opinion - I always have to remind myself - these reports are opinions. Their website is www.gun-tests.com

Regards,
Sweetwater

Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Thompson

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »
You may also want to check what's involved in mounting a red dot on both pistols.  Mark III , I believe, is drilled and tapped for a mount that will remain attached to the pistol.  The Buckmark is done by removing the rear sight and using the same screws to attach the mount to the pistol.

Not a problem for mounting on the Buckmark but I think the red dot and mount have to be remove to field strip the Buckmark for cleaning assuming that is your preferred method. 

I have Mark II's and Buckmarks although I've had the Rugers longer.  Both are fine pistols so you can't go wrong with either.  Just a matter of what works best for you. 

I don't have a scope or red dot on either Buckmark; scope on Mark II (10") and Competition Model, red dot on Target (6 7/8") and open sights on two 5 1/2" Target bull barrel models. 

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
I have the  Mark III slab  barrel target model with a red dot sight.  Very accurate and reliable! I have a Mark II bull barrel that I've had forever, dependable and accurate too.............

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 02:42:12 AM »
The one big advantage of the Brownings are the intrinsic scope mount on top? Make it simple to mount a red dot or other scope without extras to buy. And those Ruger triggers haven't gotten better in all the years they've been around? "Mushy" to say the least.
Just my $.02.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline DrMichael

Having shot both side by side
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 04:25:35 AM »
My brother has a Buckmark, a very nice one. I liked it at first. It is a very good pistol, but.... when you shoot them side by side there are some definite detractors...inmy opinion. The Buckmark shot on par with the Ruger or vice versa if you wish. But the first time racking the bolt was a real anoyance, very stiff as thehammer has to be brought down. Getting a good grip on the slide was a little difficult, and the screws that  hold the top strap, often wiggle loose even with lock tite. I thought it was ironic that he brought the little allen wrench to tighten them up to the place where we were shooting. After he shot the Ruger he is now listing the buckmark for sale. If it is what you want, I am sure he will make you a good deal on it.

fyi
Doc

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 05:38:38 AM »
Can you get me some pictures and an email address for your brother and his gun, please?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 08:19:29 AM »
 I haven't shot the Ruger Mk III but I tried the MkII and the Buckmark out about 5 years ago and I could just shoot the Ruger better.   On a Ransom rest they both shot the same.  My ruger is the stainless MkII/45 with 5.5" bull barrel. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »
I like the way the splash looks to except for the paint on it.

Oh man, I think the splash looks pretty cool. (With the paint!)

The Ruger and the Browning are both fine guns. They are both reliable, accurate and fun to shoot. We are all going to have stories how one out shot the other, etc., etc., etc. Every .22 is different from the one that came off the line before and after it. Ya just never know. You're just going to have to pick the one that has the features you want. Many of the Buckmarks come with the rail for your reddot scope. The only other advantage would be the easier reassembly of the Buckmark. Most Ruger owners have no trouble once they learn how, but some folks never do quite get the hang of it.

Let us know which one you decide on!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline NRAJOE

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
I really...really...really like my MkI....bought used for $175 out the door...made in 1970 before they started stamping all the warnings all over their guns:

Very clean looking and fun to shoot.
U.S. ARMY 1976-79
237th Combat Engineers
Wharton Barracks
Heilbronn, Germany

NRA Patron Life member

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
If you want to feel all warm and fuzzy, look for an as-new Ruger Mk. II Target Mdl. None of mine (4)  are for sale, and I regret selling the ones (3) that I did.

Offline jgalar

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 06:08:17 PM »
A little off your topic, but I just bought a Beretta U22 Neos for my kids to shoot. I am impressed with the gun. For the price its a nice gun. We were shooting Federal bulk ammo and I had I believe 3 failures to eject while shooting up a box. Later that day I went to Wal-Mart and while looking in the sporting goods section spotted a BSA red dot with weaver mounts for $29. It took just a couple of minutes to mount on the gun. Haven't tried it out yet.

Hate to muddy the waters, but you may want to look at the Beretta also.