Author Topic: PHOTOS BACK! The Third “What is it? Where is it?”contest. PHOTOS BACK!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
                                        The Third, (just for fun!), “What is it?  Where is it?” contest.PHOTOS BACK!

We had several emails after the last contest was run requesting more.  We will comply with these requests, but we can’t do it once a month as one fellow wanted.  We really appreciate the opportunity to give some of you an alternative to the rather dry history and ordnance books that we read every day.  Lance won the title of “Cannon Hunter Extraordinaire” last time for solving the highest number of contest photos.

Please remember, this is just for fun; every answer will be treated with respect and that nobody takes any of this seriously at all.  So, even if you can solve just one photo, DO IT and your answer will be appreciated by all, just like last time.

The answer should contain  1)   Cannon’s common name/description  OR
                                                         Cannon’s model # and date.

2)    Location including name of fort, cemetery, town, 
                                                           museum or city.

3)    Name of State or foreign country.

Double D, the first winner of these contests gave everyone some valuable advice when he wrote, “Google is my friend.”  Don’t forget about vacation trips, artillery books, atlas maps, etc.,etc., all of which are valuable.

These photos were taken by the seacoast boys all around the country, north, south and mid-west.

Good Luck!!

Mike and Tracy       

1.   Fortress guns in a state known for it’s fine corn and superior hogs.  HINT:  Look for a # on the monument, then think GAR, not the fish though.

2.   Maybe the most famous DUD in all of Naval History.

3.   This famous battery of seacoast guns challenged the Federal Navy like no other had   
       up until 1862.  HINT:  Although these are seacoast guns, we did NOT say anything about a saltwater location. HINT#2 There were 59 casualties in the Union flotilla and one killed in the Confederate Water Battery.

4.   The original cannon represented by this replica dueled with the Federal Gunboats,     
     Gemsbok and Chippewa during a fierce battle here.

5.   More than one of these Selma cannon ended up stranded here as the Confederacy’s
      transport system crumbled near the war’s end.

6.  One of the most famous forts which became a battleground in the War for Southern
     Independence.  Name the Fort and the State.  Which Federal Ironclad sank nearby?  HINT:  For the forced passage past the fort, think Capital of Connecticut.

7.   This ain’t Europe, the U.K. or Canada, either.

8.   Once in a while Mike and I run into a truly remarkable find  on a research trip.  This
      was one such find.  Name the item, the location and the state.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline KABAR2

Re: The Third, (just for fun!), “What is it? Where is it?” contest.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
O.K. I am up early for some reason so I'll have a go at it.

1) Iowa 24 pounder Flank Howitzer M1841

4) FORT MACON North Carolina

7) Yorktown Virginia
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »
sorry but I can only see small red x where the pictures should be , dont know why
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 02:59:40 AM »
sorry but I can only see small red x where the pictures should be , dont know why

Same.

May come up later.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:14:54 AM »
MyHostedPictures is moving to a new server. As soon as the move is completer all pictures will be back.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 04:38:40 AM »
     Thanks, Double D, for that explanation.  We will have to be patient, I guess. Looks like KABAR2 got a really early start here!    While we are waiting for the pictures to appear, a word of explanation is necessary.  Allen has a good start here, but if you will look carefully, you can see that none of his answers are complete.  There is nothing wrong with this. It is simply his style and there is no rule which says that you may not benefit from his generosity.  As his answers do not have all three elements of a complete answer, a reasonable strategy would be to build on one or more of his answers and be the first to post a complete one unless he beats you to it after reading this!  This all presumes that you agree with what he has posted so far.  We have had some complaints of too many hints given too quickly, so hints will still be given, but ample time will be given to the members to come up with solutions based on the original material presented.

FYI,

Tracy and Mike

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
This might be a little easier now without those pesky red X's. So, I'll give it a try.

1. Revised---- GAR Monument in Montezuma, IA. 24pdr. Flank Howitzer.

4.  Fort Macon, NC.  Fiberglass rifled 32-pounder cannon.
5. Port Columbus Naval Museum. Columbus, Georgia. 7" Brooke rifle.

7. Yorktown Battlefield. Yorktown, VA. Cannons are --- English 10 inch Mortars and English Howitzers.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline lance

Gosh,wish i had time to play! Oh well,won the last contest,so i'll be a gentleman and only answer one question......#2 CSS Alabama fired a 6.4" Blakely shell into the rudder post of the USS Kearsarge...........during the Jan. 19th 1864 battle off the coast of Cherbourg........Darn,if only it would have went off!!! Shell and post are at the Washington Navy Yard.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
    To KABAR2, intoodeep, and everybody:  Regarding that #1 photo, get out your magnifying glasses and search that monument for a number, then think GAR, and we don't mean the fish!

It's been about 12 hours, long enough with no hints.

T&M

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Lance,  you rascal!  I knew we could count on you for AT LEAST one good answer.  Thank you!!  #2 is correctly solved.  Added comment:  the reason this one has been answered correctly is that we have NEVER required an exact size on a cannon's bore OR a projectile's size.  Also, although this 7" shell was designed by Sir Bashley Britten in 1855, on almost all internet sites, it is refered to as a Blakely shell when, in fact, the rifled cannon only was a Blakely.  We talked to the chief conservator at Texas A&M University about the CSS Alabama's cannon undergoing de-salting there and he said the markings on the various guns are very clear and easily read.  Amazing, after all these years underwater!

T&M

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
   intoodeep,  You are really sharp today!  I thought that one was going to be tough.  At the end of this contest you can tell us how you figured that out.  #5 is solved. Thank you.

T&M

Offline lance

I know i said i'd be a gentleman and only answer one,but i don't see very many folks playing.........Hey,i'm not touching the cannon pics, so others can have a chance! #8 Case Shot filled with sulfur matrix / balls and minies.......Waterveliet Arsenal, NY state.

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     intoodeep,  You're still going strong we see.  #1 is solved!  If you ever get a chance to get over there, go to the town square and you'll find these two tucked in between two buildings.  Don't forget to visit Brownell's, Inc. while your there; they have many fine products and a great catalog listing all of them.  Hey!  You just got # 7 too.  We both thought that one would last a few days, at least.  On that Fort Macon cannon, don't think peach-tree for the location, think something else.  #5,#1 and #7 so far.

Lance, as soon as you log in again, we all want to know how the heck you solved  #8.  Did I by some chance describe this find in some long forgotten (by me) thread??  Darn good answer, almost perfect answer.  It was a 6 pdr. case shot!!  Impossible to tell from the photo though. 

Good going!

M&T

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
     On that Fort Macon cannon, don't think peach-tree for the location, think something else.  #5,#1 and #7 so far.

You are correct.  Duh, I changed it to NC. I must have just let the fingers follow through when typing Macon..... :-[

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
      Thanks, intoodeep. #4 is solved.  Good job!   I knew it was a minor slip-up of some sort.  We never did get to the Fort Macon bookstore before they closed.  HEY an excuse to go back!!  Love North Carolina.  Good fried chicken, great ironclads; visit Kinston and great cannons and forts too.  Don't forget the Gibraltar of the South, Fort Fisher, Kure Beach, NC with the  BEST BOOKSTORE at any fort, anywhere!!

T&M

Offline lance

#6 Fort Morgan,Alabama........during the battle of Mobile Bay the USS Tecumseh hit one of them torpedo things and sunk! Sorry,forgot to say that i solved #8 because i'm what's known as a "Cannon Hunter Extraordinaire" :) :) :)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Lance,     Mr. Las Vegas is not liking the odds with you riding fast and shooting straight.  For not really having time to play, you're picking them off quite well.  Ft. Morgan is correct and  Federal  Monitor Tecumseh too, which sank as you described right under the guns of the Water Battery near the southwest bastion.  Sorry about questioning #8, I forgot, for a second, that you were one of those!!

T&M

Offline lance

Mike and Tracy,i'm also a gentleman that's enjoyed this contest. I've had enough fun,and like i wrote awhile ago: i'm not touching the cannon pics. Thanks for this nice entertainment on a cold rainy day, here in the Virginia mountains.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Well, I'm going to take a guess.  #3 is Fort Donelson in TN. The cannons are a mix of 32pdrs.

P.S.- There is also one 10" Columbiad not shown in your photo. ;)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Lance,   Thanks for you participation.  Glad you had some fun, Cannon Hunter Extraordinaire!  We need some of that wet weather out here.  It's been a really dry Spring so far.

Best regards,

M&T

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     Intoodeep,    You had us going there for a while, but we were pretty sure, based on your first few answers, that the desert heat hadn't got to you.  #3 is correctly solved.  That's a right smart guess, son!  You now have earned the title of  "Cannon Hunter Extraordinaire" with all rights, privileges and honors which are imbued with this esteemed title.  Thank you for your gentlemanly conduct and vigorous prosecution of the researcher's art.   Final score:  intoodeep-1,3,4,5 and7   Lance-2,6 and 8.  And a special thanks to KABAR2 for getting everyone off to a good start and saving them a lot of time.  Thanks Allen; your a good sport and a great researcher in your own right!

Hats off to all who tried this contest out.  We hope to have another in 4 to 6 months.  You guys made us think also.  In fact we learn quite a bit just by preparing these photo challenges and more by trying to keep up with you all as you post answers.

An evening salute to you all,

Mike and Tracy

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
M&T,

Thanks for posting another fun contest. They seem to be getting a bit tougher. Thanks to Lance for calling out #8. I'm sure I would not have figured that one out. I'm sure it would have cost me some sleep too. :D :D

Offline lance

intoodeep,You're the man!!! one thing i don't want is for you to lose any sleep ;) ;) ;)          Mike and Tracy,Thanks again for another Great contest!!!! Ya know, it would kinda be nice if us "Cannon Hunter Extraordinaires" had a fancy patch to sew on our jackets :) :) :)

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
      Lance,    I am slowly getting you trained!  Did you notice how he didn't ask for a Brooke or Parrott gun this time?  A patch, who knows maybe a patch would be possible someday.

Just for the heck of it.  Does anyone know what structure's foundation trace I am kneeling next to in the Ft. Morgan photo?  What happened to it anyway?  It covered about 75% of the parade.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Is it the Lighthouse foundation??? As, to what happen to it.  I believe it got a few big holes in it.

Second try... Is it the Citadel foundation that was destroyed Aug. 23 1864?

Offline KABAR2

Boy allot has gone on today! I haven't had more than a few minutes for a look see today.
Hopefully I'll catch the next one  ;D

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
1. Revised---- GAR Monument in Montezuma, IA. 24pdr. Flank Howitzer.

WOW.  It's been a while since I've been in Montezuma - my draft board was there!  The snow did look VERY familiar though.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
     We sure hope you catch the next one as well, Allen.  You are an excellent competitor and very well informed on this topic.

intoodeep,  Both the Lighthouse and the Hot Shot Furnace are outside the walls on the ocean side of the counterscarp.  I believe the name of the structure is the Citadel and that it served as a barracks for the troops in this garrison.  The photos I've seen show it to be completely burned out after the battle, but the structure didn't appear to be damaged tremendously by the Federal shells from Farragut's fleet or from the 30 Pdr. Parrott Beach Batteries during subsequent siege operations.  I just wonder why they tore it down and removed it.  The lighthouse was a total wreck.  Only about 40% was left in one section about half way to the top.

Thanks,

Tracy and Mike

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
   Wow, Tim.  Go straight to the Weather Channel and make the BIG BUCKS!  If you can tell the difference between Virginia snow and Iowa snow, they will shovel the money at you!!

Seriously though, Montezuma is a great place, even in the winter.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
   Wow, Tim.  Go straight to the Weather Channel and make the BIG BUCKS!  If you can tell the difference between Virginia snow and Iowa snow, they will shovel the money at you!!

Seriously though, Montezuma is a great place, even in the winter.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

I grew up in Grinnell.  My familiarity with IOWA snow is ONE of the reasons for now living in VIRGINIA!   :P   It is, of course, where I learned to shovel IT.

Montezuma, y'all well know where Brownell's is.  (If they're not a sponsor of GBO they should be.)
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired