Author Topic: What is the scariest thing that ever happend to you while...  (Read 5560 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
What is the scariest thing tha ever happend to you while hunting?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
What is the scariest thing that ever happen
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 03:47:41 AM »
last year during archery.
I had plans to go out for the first two hours of the day and then head right to work.
I got up in my stand (tree lounge) and started to pull up my rope. Only thing is, it was tangled around a laurel bush 20 feet below me.  I figured rather than tug and pull and risk damaging the bow or throwing the sites off, i'll go back down the wet shakenash tree (rained that night), untangle the bow and pack, then shimmy back up and be ready for daylight.
Started going down the tree and half way down, the top part of the stand slipped out of my hand and hit my feet. I had nothing to hold onto, couldn't move my feet and i had lost my balance. faster and faster i started to fall back and toward the bottom of the stand. Just then, BAM.....safety harness tightens and there i am, spread out over the whole stand with my feet tangled and still in the climbing slots.
That moment would have been my last in the wood if it wasn't for the safety belt.
BTW, this was the older style tree lounge...you know, the one that weighs 35 pounds w/o all your gear

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 05:37:17 AM »
Do you still use the same stand?

--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 08:18:47 AM »
no.....Not because of that situation though.
This is what i bought : http://www.timbertalloutdoors.com/babylite.htm

Actually, the TL wasn't mine in the first place.  My brother and my father bought them when they first came out and i was too young to hunt.
But when i did start, i went into archery my first year and since only my bro archery hunted at that time, my dads was open for me to use.
Now all three of us have stands.
I think mine is a whole lot better.

Old lounges have the problems of being too heavy and bulky. You can't go long distances with them without being fatigued.  And you wouldn't think it is possible but they are also TOO COMFORTABLE  :eek: !!!  I would be up in the tree for 45 minutes and i would doze off.
I was caught many times on stand sleeping.  Also been yelled at by family for sleeping while deer were under my stand :-D

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2003, 08:22:23 AM »
BTW, if there is one person out there that Doesn't wear their safety harness, all i can say is you're a moron.  It saved my life that morning. Ever since, no matter how high i went, i wore it. PERIOD !!!
There is no reason to risk your life for a freezer of meat.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2003, 08:43:37 AM »
Thnx for the info...I also no matter what height wear one...never had anything happen to me,  im grateful for that....

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2003, 01:41:02 PM »
Walking out at dusk 3 years ago during deer season. Walking super quiet, wearing doe-scent, still-hunting my way back to the truck alone.

Saw a stump in the ol' logging road about 75 yards away. Didn't think anything of it. Kept walking toward it and got another 10 yards of sneaky walking when that feeling my gut told me something wasn't right. I lifted the rifle up to look at the "stump" and saw the stump, facing away from me, stand up from a sitting position just as I got my scope on it and walk off the road into the trees.

The Cougar was chasing deer just like me and I could hear the deer crashing and bounding away in the trees right below the road I had to walk to get to my truck. Needless to say, I walked the 1 1/2 miles out backwards that night.
-Power

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 03:26:20 PM »
That would of scared me out of my mind  :shock:

Offline JACKNZ

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2003, 05:11:43 PM »
I was hunting Rabbits and my friend shot me with a .22 the bullet hit me in the back of the neck an came out my jaw on the right side.I now hunt mainly by myself and never let anybody carry a loaded gun in my company.In NZ blaze orange is not needed by law but I wear it anyway.
Blaze would not have made any differance in my case but it makes me feel more comfortable.I hav,nt spoken to the guy that shot me for more than twenty years and don,t intend to.Every time I think about this event
I give thanks it wasn,t a center fire that hit me.You all know what the result would have been.It was close enough as it was.
IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET,,,JACK.
NZJACK

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2003, 01:55:56 AM »
Got lost a couple of times, one time just went around in a circle for about four hours until I relized what I was doing. Another time came out of the woods about 15 road miles from where I was supposed to.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 04:45:17 PM »
Quote from: JACKNZ
I was hunting Rabbits and my friend shot me with a .22 the bullet hit me in the back of the neck an came out my jaw on the right side.I now hunt mainly by myself and never let anybody carry a loaded gun in my company.In NZ blaze orange is not needed by law but I wear it anyway.
Blaze would not have made any differance in my case but it makes me feel more comfortable.I hav,nt spoken to the guy that shot me for more than twenty years and don,t intend to.Every time I think about this event
I give thanks it wasn,t a center fire that hit me.You all know what the result would have been.It was close enough as it was.
IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET,,,JACK.

JACKNZ, thank God you're alive! :eek:

I have a somewhat similar experience, although not to me personally.  I was quail hunting with my uncle, cousin, brother, and father on a ranch in Alabama.  My cousin was shooting at a quail and some of the pellets hit my dad!! :eek:   My father had about 3 or 4 pellets stuck in his face - THANK GOD NONE OF THEM HIT HIS EYE!! :eek: The pellets came out easy, and my dad was bleeding a bit, but I was so mad at my cousin for his stupidity that it ruined the hunt the rest of the day.

When hunting, NOTHING is more important than SAFETY - NOTHING!!!

Zachary

Offline JACKNZ

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2003, 02:23:35 AM »
Zachery,Thanks mate,
Here in NZ we had three guys lose their lives here during the roar (rut)this year.All were shot by their mates.I take young guys into the bush quite regularly for their first real hunt,I am known to harp on a bit about firearm safety,But feel if the only thing I ever teach them is to stay alive
then I,m doing ok.It,s taken me a long time to type these few lines because I feel so strongly about the subject.I love the mountains,rivers,
deer,fresh air and carrying a fine rifle in my hands,But it would all end if I
shot a mate.Hell what would you do???
Not worth thinking about???That would be your first mistake.
BE SAFE FOLKS....Jack.
NZJACK

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2003, 05:36:35 AM »
Thank you lord....that everybodys ok...

SAFETY FIRST, and you can never be too safe!!!!!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 07:11:41 PM »
Several years ago I was squirrel hunting with a friend. We separated in the woods and worked around to the same area to meet at about noon. I was sitting near the ridge and probably did see a squirrel moving toward me. I started watching intently for the squirrel and saw something move. It didn't look quite right so I kept my .22 down and watched. I saw the same thing again and it was definatley moving but did not look right. My friend took another step and his whole head was then in view. He was wearing an Army OD ball cap and the top of his head was what I saw in the woods in overcast light. He was walking up the other side of a hogback (side ridge) . His head would bob up in sight and then disappear. It scared me to think of what could have easily happened if I had been trigger happy. I share this story when I teach hunter safety. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2003, 12:05:16 PM »
:D Hitting the treepegs while falling out of a tree.

Offline hellbilly75

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2003, 05:30:42 PM »
My story isn't as deadly as some but it scared the tar out of me.  One morning during bow season,  I was going to hunt my father-in-laws treestand.  I'd hunted it before but always in the afternoon.  I was on my way to the stand when I came across an old 5 gallon bucket.  The problem with that is the bucket was beyond the stand and I knew it.  I looked for the stand a little bit but couldn't find it.  I knew I was within 50 yards of the stand but couldn't find it for anything. So, I decided to have a seat and wait for first light to locate the stand.  Not long after that , I hear something in the brush to my left.  Then I saw something, not a deer , too small, looks like a coon maybe.  It starts coming my way and I'm thinking this might be a neat little outdoor experience.  Only trouble is as the "coon" gets closer I start to make out the white stripe running down his back. This skunk was at my feet browsing for at least ten minutes and I swear I held my breath the whole time!
My venison is never tuff, I contenderize it!

Offline AKA Craig

• Avid Poster
mine
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2003, 03:44:41 AM »
Well this really aint that scary but it scared me, I was alone in the middle of the night at about 2:00 a.m. looking for rabbits with my .22 when i came along this corner and about 4 hogs ran by me, i would have not been that scared if I had a larger gun or there wasnt so many of them.

Craig
Very Proud and Patriotic Texan.

Nothing to fear but fear itself

Offline wareagleguy

Almost shot!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2003, 04:38:03 AM »
During the last week of bow season several years ago in North Alabama I hunted a very nice area with lots of buck sign (management area land).  I hunted until the very last second.  I had a long walk back through the woods to get to a main logging road.  As I got about 50 yards to the logging road I got on a good game trail and by this time is was dark.  We are not required to wear orange and I wasn't using my flash light (stupid I know).  As I stepped on the lggoing road I was hit by a spot light from up in a tree!!!
I looked up to see a guy at full draw pointing at me with a light tied to his bow.  All I could you was yell and boy did I!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2003, 10:20:11 AM »
brdavis, is there anything that you're allowed to hunt down there at night?
If not i'd have gotten his tag # and turned that sucker in.

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2003, 12:28:51 PM »
I had a buddy who was always taking extra shots at birds on pheasant hunts.  The dogs would go on point, we'd move up and flush the birds, and no matter which way they flew, this guy would shoot at 'em.  He's shoot across in front of people, behind people, whatever. He was always shooting when the bird was going down, totally unecessary. We told him again and again to stop it, watch what he was doing, etc. but he thought it was funny or something.  Finally, one morning the dogs went on point, I was in the middle of a three man line abreast, and I moved up to flush the bird.  Well the pheasant got up right in front of me, and I waited to shoot so it could get out aways not to mangle it up or miss with a too-tight pattern at close range.  This guy was right behind me and shot over my head at the rising bird.  I heard the shot charge buzz and whine as it went past my ear.  I'm quite a laid-back guy usually, but I turned around and told him to give me his shotgun.  He gave me a funny look, but he did it , and I told him to get the hell out of our hunt and not to come back.  I unloaded his piece and threw it in the dirt at his feet and told him again to get the f__ away from me when I was hunting. I haven't said two words to him since and it's been about five years.  He's tried to apologize a couple of times and I told him that sorry just won't do on a thing like that.  I mean it, too.  What good is "oh sorry" when you've blown your buddy's head off?  It still gets me mad just to think about it.

Offline JACKNZ

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2003, 12:25:53 PM »
Brushhunter, good on ya.
You should of relived him of a few teath while you were at it. :evil:
I commend you on your restrant and self control.
Life is short an your a long time dead.We don,t need guys like that.
RESPECTS...Jack.
NZJACK

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2003, 05:50:46 PM »
Brushhunter,  I don't know where you're from but here in PA first time hunters are forced to take a learners course on in depth saftey, shooting, and hunting.  I know a few people that it hasn't affected at all, people that it greatly affected, and people who haven't changed from before the course(me).  I didn't change at all because i grew up around safe hunters and was taught gun saftey from DAY ONE!!!  
Now what i can see from this guy is he is either an idiot, or he wasn't taught correctly from the begining and is partly not his fault.
Either way, safe shooting is all the same.  Can't take back a bullet or an arrow after the trigger is released.

Offline Farmer

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2003, 07:02:41 AM »
I had an owl  knock me out of the treestand.  I guess a guy can sit too... still.  He was trying for my nose... I think.  It all happened so quick.  Thanks to my Seat-of-the-Pants safety harness, all was well.  It was put to the test.  It goes to show ...no matter how careful you are, sh-t happens beyond your control.... wear a safety harness.  

While elk hunting in Colorado several years ago.... walking in the early morning darkness.... I walked to within 10 yards of a bull elk and at that time.... he decided to bugle.  At that close distance... the hair will stand up on your neck.  I retreated a good 30-40 yards before it dawned on me...... that's was I was there to hunt.  scared the crap out of me... but was funny afterward..... I never got that elk.

On a different hunt, I had killed an elk and hung it in a tree about 30 yards from the primitive cabin inwhich we(the wife and I) were staying up in the mts.  Around midnight, on a full moon I stepped outside to relieve myself(primitive cabin) and was face to face with a cougar.  I believe he was eyeing the elk, but we scared each other so much  that I didn't go outside until daylght the next morning and the elk was untouched.

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2003, 07:29:15 AM »
LOL! Those are great!
-Power

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2003, 10:39:29 AM »
I was bow hunting during the early part of the season and came up a draw and into a small clearing. I noticed a bunch of 5 gallon buckets sitting all around with odd plants in them. I was about 16 or so and had figured out pretty quick I had walked into an illegal marijuana field with the pot farmer still there. Not a good feelling. The guy said something to me and I played dumb. I asked if he was seeing any deer. He said "No" but that they were eating up his garden. I noticed the 357 tucked in his pants with his shirt doing a poor job of covering it. We BS'd for another minute or two then he said something about getting back to work. I took advantage of the opportunity and slipped back off into the woods.

Frog :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline labsrule

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2003, 01:34:11 PM »
Deer hunting in Connecticut two years ago, I was moving through a beaver swamp and could hear a whole "gaggle" of people moving down a trail alongside.  It was State land and I thought it was some school field trip that really picked the wrong time of year to bring kids out there.  I slipped out the other side of the swamp and headed the other way.  About two hours later I saw them for the first time, and it wasn't a school system.  I was coming up a trail when 19 anti-hunters turned down a branch in the trail headed straight for me about 20 yards away.  They were out to scare game and harass hunters... and they became very vocal.  My hunting partner, I later found out, was perhaps 3 miles away.  Hey for us we call that hunting together.  Some of their more emboldened members told me to get off their trail and out of their forest... that I wasn't welcome there anymore.  I don't get it, it was 19 to 1 with nobody else around that I know of.  I just stood there with a Remington 11-87, slug barrel with scope... laying across the crook of my arm.  Didn't make any threats to them, but I did say... "I don't think so."  and they turned around and went down the other fork in the trail.  I'll admit I was toast the rest of the day and they did ruin my hunt for the day... but they don't know; and I'm damn glad they backed off.  I also admit my heart was doing double time.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2003, 04:13:35 PM »
Most states have laws prohibiting such behavior in the field. Maryland has or had a woman that wouldn't quit harassing hunters locked up. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2003, 05:52:52 PM »
I was backpack hunting a few miles from the nearest road when I shot a buck.   The area had burned over a couple of years before and there was no tree close to the kill.  The kill was in a steep draw.  I put down a small tarp and skinned the buck out on it.  After skinning the buck I put it in a deer bag.  I picked it up and started down to a shadded area to let it cool.  I had gone but a few feet when a large rattlesnake sounded off a foot or so from me, scaring the hell out of me.  I couple of quick steps and I was out of it's way.  I got the meat to a shadded area and needed to back track up the shale draw for my rifle and gear.

The snake had the position of advantage.  It was it the best route up the hill.  I had to side hill on a 70-80 percent slope to get back to my equipment.  After getting my .270 I pointed it in the general direction of the snake and started flicking rocks into the location it had been.  It quickly let me know who owned the world.  The .270 owned the world.  One round cut the coiled snake into three chunks.  Only ten rattles and a button.  Favorite snake load.  130 grain Hornaday, pushed by 60 grains of H4831.

Yep, there is a bear story, but the snake gave me a scare.

Siskiyou
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2003, 01:32:30 PM »
Hey Labsrule--

I live in CT.  There's a hunter harrassament law on the books.  You're supposed to ask them why they are harassing you. inform them of the law, and ask thier names.  The phone number to call it in is on the DEP website.  You showed alot of courage and grace in not getting angry and saying something wiseassed to them.  They want to bait you into threatening them.

This is why I deer hunt in Maine.

Offline PAhunter

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2003, 02:25:33 PM »
Hunting deer one year with a new person in the group.  Got out of the truck and started to put on my coat.  As I turned around toward the truck, this jerk is on the other side with his rifle pointed acroos the seat directly at me.  He is trying to slammed the bolt home and it won't close.  I ran around the truck to see what the #$^*%^$# is going on and he starts laughing.  Seems he thought it was funny he had forgotten to unload yesterday.  I asked which side of the mountain he was hunting and took my son to the other side.  What an idiot!