Author Topic: What is the scariest thing that ever happend to you while...  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Dragon31

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scariest thing that happened deer hunting
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2003, 04:28:01 AM »
I often hunt on a friends farm here in Southern Indiana.  One morning I got up early drove to his farm and parked the truck next to his horse padock like alway.  I it was cold, dark and I had not put on my overall because I didn't want to get hot in the truck.  I leaned up next to the paddock fence to get my leg in the overalls when I felt this warm moist breath of air blow down my neck.  I didn't know a 1200 pound horse could be so quite and move so easily in the dark.  I also didn't know that a fat, 60 year old man with one leg in his coveralls could move so fast.  Now, if you live in southern Indiana and you want to know who I am just check out the scratch marks where I climbed over the hood of my pick up truck.  I swear ever time I went to the farm after that the horse laughed at me.

Offline labsrule

What is the scariest thing that ever happen
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2003, 07:14:29 AM »
Hi Brushhunter,
Our normal places to hunt are up State N.Y. such as Siamese Ponds Wilderness Area, or Maine around Sebec Lake.  This year will be between Rockwood and Pittston Farm in Maine.  Just got so hung up at work the past two years that I couldn't get away.  New thoughts on that... work just isn't important enough "NOT" to get away.  

Good Hunting to ya.... bring some hot sauce into the woods with you in case its too big to drag out and you have to it eat right there.   :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2003, 11:34:06 AM »
LMAO at Dragon31 :-D

Offline DennisB

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
That Reminds Me of the Time...
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2003, 01:20:37 PM »
Long ago I was alone on a late summer fishing trip to Skilak Lake up in Alaska.  It's a beautiful, glacial lake (fed by the Kenai River) surrounded by moose and bear country.  I arrived at the boat launch/campground just at sunset.  The day's winds had died down to just occasional breezes.  No one else was in the campground.  I put my RSB in its shoulder holster and made a quick look-around, then I figured I'd best get camp set up cause it was getting really dark.  I got out my campfire grill, which was wrapped in a large black plastic bag inside a cloth sack.  Tossing the bags to the side, I went over to the fire pit and began building a fire.  About the time I'm hunkered down putting a match to the pile of spruce tinder, a gust of wind comes up and all of a sudden I hear a rustling sound as a large black thing slams into me from the back!

I almost shot that !@#$% garbage bag before I realized the wind had balooned it up and sent it over my way.
Dennis In Ft Worth

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2003, 02:10:43 PM »
Hi There Labsrule--  ya I'm hunting in Maine this year with an outfitter in district 17, sort of central Maine.  I'll still go out a couple of days down here, but just for the hell of it.  The Maine hunt is a bit more serious.  I was telling some guys about your post and one of em said he carries a disposable camera around in his day pack.  He's praying to meet some harassers so he can take their pictures and give them to the cops.  CT's good for duck hunting though, and I still do quite a bit of that.  Also, I walk around hunting grouse alot, although it's mostly just hiking with a shotgun:)

Some great stories here, guys.  What do you all figure the best load for garbage bags is?

Offline willis5

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2003, 09:42:43 AM »
I used to think " I know, you have already told me a million times" when i was reminded of the saftey, muzzle direction, always treat a gun as if it is loaded, etc.  Now that I have grown, I can still hear my grandfather and father in my head reminding me EVERY time I pick up a gun. Keep preaching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took my wife to the range and laid two pistols on the bench. I told her that I was testing her flinch when she shot. I woudl alternate and try to trick her by loading one roundin one gun and not the other or load both or neither. I did this until every time she pulled the trigger she didn't know if it was goign to go off. The last time I did it, I loaded both guns, but I removed the second guns magazine. she shot the first and picked up the second. I could tell that she didn't think it was loaded, but I told her to practice like it was... well, it went off and she about had to clean her pants. It taught her that you never can assume.
I wouldn't do this with someone who is not responsible with muzzle direction. She always aims down range. ALWAYS. I knew this and felt comfortable with her. Don't play tricks on people. you never know how they will react. It did teach her a valuable lesson though.
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2003, 03:32:19 AM »
I was on a quiet drive one time with guys I have hunted with for 20 yrs.  Good light middle of the afternoon, moderate timber.  There was a 30" hemlock tree about 75 yards from me.  I new who was coming and approx. when and where to expect him.  I saw a doe coming-no question in my mind it was a doe.  It went behind the tree and came out a man in a red checked hunting coat(the man I was expecting).  I swear that is what I saw, scared the hell out of me.
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2003, 03:58:47 AM »
Wow, what a story Lee--when I was a kid, driving deer was the only way the men I knew hunted them.  We'd have 15 drivers and five shooters and drive huge stretches of the pine barrens in southern NJ.  I was armed with an old 16. ga single shot with a "punkin ball" round in it.  I was driver once and got separated from the line and lost somehow--I was only a teenager and I think I got turned around and went backwards for a bit. No campasses for us, of course, a "real woodsman" could just use the sun.  LOL, it was a cloudy day! Anyhow, I emerged onto the fire road where the drive ended and looked up to see old Roy Wallace--he's been dead these 20 years now--drawing down on me with his pumpgun.  It had a cutts polychoke on it--I'll never forget seeing that.  I hit the dirt fast! He didn't shoot, bless him.  And bless you for not shooting either--you done right!  Your story is really about how good safety practices do work, because you LOOKED at what you were shooting!  You didn't just "assume."

Brushhunter

Offline Lee D.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2003, 06:23:54 AM »
That was my point -saftey-.  But what is really frightening is--What if I had seen horns on the deer.  I would have raised the gun, saftey off, and been ready to shoot when if appeared from behind the tree.  That experience has probably cost me a few deer since then but,  better safe than....
    When I hear that a hunter shot a man for a deer I remember that day and shiver.  I can not stress strongly enough that I "saw" a doe go behind that tree.
somewhere betwixt a baulk and a breakdown

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2003, 08:44:01 AM »
Lee, my squirrel hunting story on page 1 is much like yours. To this day I really believe I saw a squirrel first. Scary aint it? :shock: I'm going to use your story when teaching hunter safety. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2003, 10:17:31 AM »
I've had two "heart skippers" that I can recall.  One time while hunting in extremely thick woods near a swamp, I had a large red fox walk up to me and litterally place its nose to my elbow.   I've never heard of a "fox attack" but it got my attention.   A few years later I was bowhunting in a treestand when a red-tailed hawk decided he/she wanted a better look at this "mossy oak clad object".   It flew so close to be in a flyby that I threw up my right arm in front of my face and almost dropped my bow!   I believe that it really just couldn't figure out what I was and was wanting a closer look.  When I moved, it put on the breaks and made a hard right.  I had an hour or so left of daylight but I went home early that day.  To change pants!!!

Offline alpini

• Avid Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2003, 12:52:18 PM »
One of the scariest times was when deer hunting with a friend. My friend just bought a new pair of hiking boots ( the lightweight trail type) that he was breaking in. I noticed he must have slipped and fell several times as we were scrambling through the brush. These new boots had him slipping and sliding on his rear. One time while he was behind me, he slipped and I heard his rifle cock.
  I looked around, he was on his ass , rifle cocked and finger on the trigger. That really put the fear to me. This nut could have killed me. Whenever I see this guy in town, I always remember what might have happened. 50 cal. point blank would make a mighty big hole.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2003, 10:36:45 PM »
When I was a kid, my dad took the neighbor deer hunting for the first time and I also got to go.  We were about 100 miles from home and it was still dark when we got to our hunt area.  We got out of the station wagon and were looking around  in the half light of morning when BANG, the neighbor shot a small buck he had seen in his scope.  Being not legal to shoot yet, my father, blowing steam, grabbed the small buck, threw it into the back of the station wagon, yelled for everyone else to get in the car and took off.  About one mile down the road, that buck came to, decided he didn't like the ride and started tearing up the back of my dad's station wagon trying to get out.  I hear "get down" yelled, and the neighbor points his rifle over the back of his seat.  I duck and in a few seconds see the car light up and learn the painful effects of muzzle blast.  Well, the guy hit the deer, with the round making a crease in the roof and exiting the rear window.  My dad just kept on driving, yelling, driving, yelling, driving, until he reached a bus station.  He drug the deer out of the station wagon, kicked our neighbor out of the car - gave him 10 bucks bus fare and then we went home.  You might say that I learned a whole new vocabulary on that trip.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline crawfish

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2003, 07:36:55 PM »
Saturday 14 OCT 1989 about 430 AM first day of the general gun deer season in my part of NC. Nosedive out of a tree stand, yes I had a harness was in the process of positioning it above the stand when the vandalized stand came apart in my hand. Lie at the bottom of the tree for 14 hours. That was scary but not as scary as when I finally realized how my life was about to change.
Love those .41s'

Offline brotherinlaw

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2003, 11:35:18 AM »
I was invited to hunt at a friend's place in Poplarville, Ms. We arrived at 4:30 a.m. a little tired but ready to go. It was early in the season and relatively warm. I only had a light long sleeve shirt and jeans on. It was dark when I climed into the box stand. I sat down got comfortable. Things were sounding good as I heard several does pass the stand. Good at least until just at sunrise. The box I was in is 4X8 and about 6 foot high, just enough to stand up in. It is about 12 - 13 feet off the ground. As I looked over my shoulder I noticed a wasp nest in one corner of the box that was about a foot and a half across. It was covered with very large black wasps, each about an inch long and mad at the intrusion. Seems they noticed me about the same time I noticed them. Every time I would breathe they would "buzz". Looks like I had a stand off on my hands. Just to make matters worse, a nice doe walked onto the clearing. Well, the choice was easey. Hell with the doe. It took me almost a half hour to slowly, very slowly back out of the stand. To this day I bring wasp spray with me and to search very closely what I climb into. :shock:

Offline az4life

• http://www.cdknives.com
Twas nearly the end...
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2003, 08:38:47 PM »
I was out scouting for Elk 2 years ago in an area unfamiliar to me. I split up with my hunting partner at a canyon edge and we agreed to meet back at the truck in 30 minutes.
20 mins later I had a mountain lion come after me. I saw him at 45 yards first and he Stalked in to only 10 feet growling and hissing the whole time. :eek:  
I Finally turned him away with a swing of a branch and a prayer!
I thought I was going to be mincemeat! I had no gun with me and was carrying nothing to defend myself.
Long and short of the story is I threw rocks at it, yelled, and finally broke off a branch from a dead tree. That branch was my only defense besides prayer, and they saved my life.  I still have the branch on display in my back yard.
It was not very fun when me as a hunter, became the hunted! :shock:

Close call! I have been in the AZ wilderness for over 25 years and this was the rare occasion when I went out w/o a gun! I left it in the  truck with the FRS radios.
I learned Don't go out without a gun or other decent defense.
The complete story is fairly easy to google. Search Marlon+Mountain lion and you should find it.
Hunt hard but don't don't forget you are in the wild!
It is always beter to be the hunter than the hunted!

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2003, 10:12:42 PM »
I was hunting with the local pastor and his daughter.  She was 13 years old at the time.  We were hunting deer and ducks along the Islands of the Snake River North of Idaho Falls.
The pastor sent his daughter ahead of us as we walked up an island looking for ducks at the time.  He didn't have his daughter wearing hunter orange as he thought it scared the ducks.  The daughter went to the end of the island and sat down and began fixing her hair that had a long ponytail.
A few minutes later, I was about 20 feet behind the pastor when I saw him raise his shotgun, take aim and pull the trigger.  I then heard three terrible screams from the daughter who had just been shot by her father.  I will never forget those screams.
The girl now carries 22 steel pelets in her arm, chest, and back.  One pellet went into her right lung, one pellet just missed her heart.  The paster later said that he thought that her pony tail was the tail of a fox.

What I wonder is - would I have seen the fox and shot the girl, or would I have remembered that she was ahead of us and double checked?
I would like to believe that I would have double checked.  
What I should have done was not hunt with him as long as he practiced unsafe hunting by not wearing orange and not having his daughter wear orange. But I didn't and now I live with the doubt, and the memory of those screams.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline coyote sniper

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2003, 09:23:27 AM »
After shooting my deer during the 2001 rifle deer season in Nebraska, my dad and i went to claim my deer.  There was a lot of range cattle in the area and they didn't like the smell of the blood or the sound of the rifle or something.  The big steer of the herd decided that he didn't like us being there and he started to chase us away from the deer.  We didn't budge until the rest of the herd started to follow his lead.  Then we took off.  I ran down the hill and stood back and aimed at the steer.  The steer trapped my dad on the edge of a small ravine behind a tree.  My dad fired a round in the air and it didn't even faze the steer.  I was ready to buy myself some beef when the steer decided to walk away.   My dad and i hurried up and drug my deer away.  As we were field dressing the deer about 100 yards away, the cattle started to come at us AGAIN.  This time we hurried up and drug the deer over to a fence and threw it over.  We were never afraid of range cattle until then.  I have never heard of any cattle acting like that but i was definitely scared at that moment.  When we went back and talked to the rancher, he told us that steer has a reputation for being VERY aggressive.  I wish he would have told us earlier.  Has anyone ever heard of cattle acting like that?
I didn't work my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian.

Offline coyote sniper

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2003, 09:30:57 AM »
Brush hunter-

I think i would have given him a royal ass whippin.  That would be minor compared to what he could have done to you.  I think you handled the situation much better than i would have.  There is NO excuse for being stupid when you are carrying a firearm around other people.  Safety is the number one priority, not the animal.
I didn't work my way to the top of the food chain to become a vegetarian.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2003, 12:38:29 PM »
I have, I was small game hunting, and I was in the bruch trying to kick out a rabbit.When this bull started trotting my way.Followed me through the brush for about 2-3 minnutes...then i decided to pick up the pace...so did he.I got to the end of the brush and got up on top of a hill, but he diddnt follow, i have never seen a cow path on top of s teep hill so thats why I went up it, and I guess he diddnt feel the need to follow me. The farmer I talked to also said this bull was agressive, he also told me it almost killed him :shock: ...I sure wish I would of known that :!:
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline chowder

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2003, 06:50:58 AM »
My family and I usually hunt the southern units of Arizona for Coues Deer.  It  is not a trip unless we see several dozen small lights making their way down the canyons at night.  The lights are illegal immigrants walking across the border.  Now we have never had any true problems with them but I have had a water jug or two disappear from the truck.
Southern AZ

Offline bearhuntr

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2003, 05:15:15 PM »
I just recently returned from a Kodiak Blacktail hunt. On the 6th or 7th day, I took a fellow from Wisconsin out to demonstrate how to call deer in with a fawn-in-distress call. After arriving in the canyon I wanted to call in, I asked Ken to follow me into a small clearing behind about 5 yards of brush. With me in the lead, we headed for the stand. Just as I parted the las branches of the brush, we came face to face with a very large sort of Kodiak brown bear. It stood up at 25 feet and swayed from side to side, slobber coming out of it's jaws. As I pointed my rifle at it's chest, I asked the bear what he wanted to do. He decided to go the other way! We beat a hasty retreat out of the brush into the flat we had been in before. This however, though true, is not the scarriest thing that day; it's a somewhat routine event on Kodiak. As Ken and I retired back to camp, I decided to break into my traditional "stash" of peaches. When I opened the bag I about died! My wife the prankster, had put in a picture of my mom-in-law on top. I about cra&&%# myself! :eek:
best,
bhtr

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2003, 03:07:26 PM »
Me and my brother were out bear hunting and he was always playing around saying every black tree stump in shade was a bear? So we were out one day and the black tree stump turned around and looked at us? And it was under 25yds away from us we argued as to who was to shoot it for 5 to 6 minutes i said who sees it first shoots it so he did.The whole time my neighbors kid was up on the ridge behind us in a treestand listening to us the whole time too. We did everything wrong we possibly could that day, we got up late, went out late 8:00am, were talking while walking down the loggin road, and my brother was sick from the day before drinking spring water & cider we decieded to turn around to go back to my camp top use the "outdoor plumbing" if you get my drift.  As we turned and talked about it he seen the bear and it was 8:05am yes we were hunting for 5 minutes!!!!!!!                             BigBill

We had some really funny times like the time a mouse ran up his leg while he was in the outhouse he ran out with his pants still down in a foot of snow and almost fell, I was rolling on the ground laughing.  Another night same spot a coyote was scratching on the outhouse door he went nuts he had his 44mg with him again I was rollin!!!!  We had some great times he passed on now but I will never forget the fishing and hunting trips we had I'm sure glad I let him shoot the bear too.   He was a sportsman to the end one time we were pheasant hunting and they were on the ground he wouldn't shoot them he said they had to be in the air thats the only way he did everything by the book  "ethics"!!!!!!  We used the excuse of hunting to spend time together while most of the time we never got anything we had fun. We would see tracks from mother w/cubs and back track out of there not to hurt them. We see smaller deer and pass on them. Even see smaller bears and we let them go. We didn't need food so why hurt a smaller animal? To this day I still trophy hunt only.

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2003, 02:42:34 PM »
I was hunting with my youngest son who had just got out of the Marines.  A nice buck got up and I made a good running shot on him.  He was across a brushy draw about 125 yards away so I told my son to keep him in the scope while I crossed the draw.  Since I was carrying a S&W mod 29 in a shoulder holster  I put my rifle down so I could get through the brush in the draw easier.  As I came out of the brush the buck spotted me.  His back was broke but he came for me with a down hill lunge and pulling himself surprisingly fast.  As put his head down attempting to gore me. I stepped to the side like a bull fighter, pulled the 44 and shot him in the neck as he went by.  He laid there with hate in his eye until he died a couple of seconds later.  He is the only animal I have ever had mounted.
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline tripper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2003, 12:07:32 AM »
A few years ago while bow hunting I decided to leave my stand a little early and pick some high bush cram berries on my way out. I made a lazy walk down to were I had spoted the berries on the way in. Upon reaching the berries I laid my equipment down and started picking. Not having anything else to put them in I started filling my hat up. I was there just a short time when I noticed the bushes moving on the other side. I tried to look through them to see what was there but could see nothing so started to walk around the bush.  I took about three steps and up over the top of the bush pops a bear head. We spoted each other about the same instant and I don't know who was slipping more in the bron stuff that suddenly appeared on the ground as we both tried to back away from each other.
be safe and god bless
tripper

Offline BH

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2003, 05:23:44 PM »
More funny than scary now but it sure ruined everyones day at the time.   I was hunting pheasants with my Dad and some of his friends in the late 50's on some government set aside ground ( 6 foot+ switch grass).  The pheasants were thick and everyone was getting some shooting but I'd yet to get a bird.  I stepped squarely on what I thought was a pheasant holding tight.  I snapped off the safety on my trusty bolt action 12 ga. and slowly raised my foot off the squirming critter anticipating the sure kill that was about to impress my Dad and his friends.  Well ... that critter was a skunk and all I got was evrything he had to give me and a long ride back home in the back of the station wagon with all the windows open  :eek: .

Bob
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2003, 12:51:09 PM »
Only while in the outdoors... :eek:  :lol:
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline sambar02

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2003, 04:15:50 AM »
racing across some ridge tops trying to get in front of the hounds on a sambar hunt several years ago, something in my head sreamed out STOP i did ,felt something move under my left foot looked down at my foot planted firmly 1/3 of the way down a totaly upset brown snake. Thank god for longish barrels and 300win. I have a photo some where when i get scanner working i will post it,you can clearly see my boot print imprinted on its back ,after i took photo i applied rule 300 several times,after shaking out my under wear i walked out very slowly and ever so cautiously. And no i didn't get the deer.To top it off on the drive home a young fellah narrowly avoided hitting me head on by putting himself over a 15 foot embankment and landing on his roof, he got out and walked away from it,  we had hunted for a week when i got home i turned on the T.V thought i was watching a action movie but no it was the news the date Sept.11:D

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2003, 10:01:08 AM »
Several years ago I was Bowhunting an area that I had hunted for many years. I rode my motorcycle out to my hunting area that day knowing that the land owner and fellow hunting partner would be there to help retrieve any deer taken that day. Well, around 5:45 that evening I shot a large Doe, the first deer I had taken with a bow. After field dressing her I drug her down to the center of a large pasture. By this time it was getting dark so I left her, my Bow, and day pack and decided that I had better go check with my buddy to see I he would get the truck and load her up for me. Well when I got to his trailer he had allready left. I then went to a house that was close by and used a phone to call a friend of mine in town to go and get my truck and come out and pick my deer up. After awhile I decided that I would go back to where I had left the deer and drag her up to a creek crossing. When I got fairly close to where I had left her and to my suprise there was a cougar trying to drag her off. Needless to say armed only with a hunting knife I was more than willing to let the animal have her and proceeded to the hay barn and locked myself inside until my buddy got there with my truck. When we went back out to the deer the cougar was gone but I will never forget comming face to face with it in the dark that night.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline grrdt

« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2003, 04:24:01 PM »
I was only a 12 year old kid sitting in the woods waiting for my dad to come down the hill we had been hunting . He was getting our tree stands,and it was taking FOREVER. So there I was  a young kid waiting in a pitch black forest all by myself when i heard a blood curtling woman's scream  :shock: . I didn't know what happened, but I quickly reloded my gun. when he got down from the hill & I told him what had happened he told me what it was ( an owl).  :)