Author Topic: COW in a .30-30  (Read 963 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
COW in a .30-30
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
Had good success using cream of wheat filler in straight wall cases (.357, .45 Colt). Load by placing a cardboard wad over the powder and then COW to almost fill the case. Then seat the bullet. Have fired cast bullets up to about 1800 fps with no leading in my .357 MAX.
How would I use COW in a .30-30 where I could not use an over powder wad? Do I just pour the COW directly over the powder then seat the bullet?
Advice appreciated.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: COW in a .30-30
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:52:37 PM »
I've never used COW but have used pieces of cotton balls as a filler in rifle cases. Regards, Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 07:13:08 PM »
In your 30-30, or any bottle-neck case, load the COW directly on top of the powder in suficient quantity to compress the COW when the bullet is seated. The compression keeps the COW from mixing with the powder. Good Luck!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:40:34 AM »
Does the COW scrub the barrel on it's way out, or is it just a filler to keep the powder in place?

Offline Molly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:32:52 AM »
In your 30-30, or any bottle-neck case, load the COW directly on top of the powder in suficient quantity to compress the COW when the bullet is seated. The compression keeps the COW from mixing with the powder. Good Luck!
Regards,
Sweetwater

Yes, that will work fine if you work up your loads with the COW.  Otherwise it will raise pressures significantly.  I've gotten the best results by using a tuft of cotton to finish filling the case to the bottom of the neck.  Then fill the neck with COW, and seat the bullet.

FWIW, I've also gotten better and more consistent accuracy if I use no lube or gas check.  Sizing is optional, if your chamber will take a bullet as cast.  Otherwise shoot them as they drop from the mold.  The COW will not only prevent leading, it will do a fine job of scrubbing your bore mirror bright, with no abrasion.  The only drawback is that you have to be sure to oil it before putting your gun away, or you can have a rusted bore when you take it back out again.

Molly

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »
I've heard bad things of people ringing their barrels using COW in bottleneck cartridges.  Use some type of fiber wadding to take up the excess space instead.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone