Author Topic: Metal Strength Obfuscation  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Dross Drunk

• Trade Count: (0)
Metal Strength Obfuscation
« on: April 29, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »

Hello all

I have been a pyro tech for many years,and pretty well understand the physics of powders and explosives, and like many of my fellow pyros both in the fireworks industry as well as hobby rocketry, the federal government has been putting ever increasing restrictions on chemicals ,both the types and quantities available, leading to higher fees for shipping, storage, permits ,insurance,and licensing on both a federal as well as the state level.

So don't be surprised if you  see a big surge in cannon  enthusiasts as  their current interests are being squeezed to death.

So from those of us that believe that a mighty harrumph !! is a joyful noise....we salute you

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and I look forward to gaining some of the wealth of knowledge that I have seen here, please understand that up until now all the mortars and cannon like items I have been associated with for the most part were HDPE or spiral wound Kraft paper,and metallurgy was never an issue, as it is here.

I hope some of you aren't put off by my thirst for knowledge which unfortunately is coupled with a non linear way of thinking, I believe that most things are truly simple and our over examining nature has a tendency to become the stumbling blocks that we find ourselves having to overcome.

So to my first confusion as it pertains to metal, I have noticed here many times that other members have referenced or sighted as reference Cannon Mania LLC, and I too have enjoyed the information I have gained from this sight in regards to cannons and their history or designs, but recently I found these statements in their pages,and the following is a quote from their page..

"The barrel must be made of steel, cast iron, brass or bronze.   The barrel must not have any cracks or be "light weight".   The diameter of the muzzle (open end of the barrel) should be roughly twice the bore diameter.  This means a .25 inch bore diameter should have a muzzle of .5 inch, and walls, 1/8 inch thick.  A .5 inch bore diameter should have a 1 inch muzzle, and a wall thickness at least .25 inches.  A 3/4 inch bore should have a 1.5 inch muzzle, as shown in the examples here.  Also, the bore should be the same diameter to the breech.  Bores that are drilled (machined) are safer than those cast.  Some cannons are cast with steel sleeve inserts.  These are very strong."   

So without getting into metal choices just yet, I noted that they claim a satisfactory wall thickness to be one half of the bore diameter, and this bothered me because it seems to be in conflict with the 1 caliber rule, that I have seen posted here many times,and even when it was regarding modern style soda can coehorns it was suggested that the 1 caliber rule at least be applied to the powder chamber if nothing else.

So my question or concerns are this, I plan on making my first build,and I choose to not have the added limitations presented by a powder chamber, and I understand when in doubt just overbuild the project, but as it pertains to my interest I would like to keep the project as light as possible to maintain mobility,which I believe would greatly increase the number of outings keeping travel out of the chore column,and making it more enjoyable for me overall.

My confusion comes from the findings surrounding hoop stress, axial stress, and radial stress, it appears that the outcome shows that once the explosive force is applied to the inner wall of a given cylinder ,that this force is applied to the metal surface and penetrates a limited distance before it is dissipated ,thus making the metal beyond this point useless for any purpose other than added weight, as it doesn't add strength  in regards to a possible rupture. I would assume,and trust me it's just an assumption, that the weaker the yield or tensile strength of a particular metal choice would have a great effect of the depth of penetration into the metal surface from explosive force, and conversely  the opposite should be true the higher the yield strength the less penetration.

I know that somewhere in here the hardness of the metal choice also makes a value change, and that's another issue I am concerned about, but I guess my specific question is this.

Lets say I want to build a project ,and I want to machine this from one solid piece of 4140, and my design is to not have a diameter change for the powder chamber but rather just have the bores diameter  terminate at the breech end in a smooth concave as the seat for the powder charge, and smooth throughout .

Considering the  strength of the chosen 4140 stock to be at about 100,000 PSI yield and 140,000 PSI tensile, would it be necessary for me to  follow the 1 caliber rule , or would the Cannon Mania LLC figure be satisfactory, it would certainly reduce cost of initial materials,and cut in half the cannon or mortars overall weight.

So we have some figures to deal with lets say I am building a 10 1/2" tall replica signal mortar with a 3" outside diameter ,and a bore of 1.5", this leaves a wall thickness of 3/4" which if I understand in correctly is only half of the 1 caliber rule.

Or would I be better off shrink fitting an additional outer layer at the breech area, I hope this is not needed,but that's why I joined here, to get answers from those that have actual experience with metal stresses  and explosive force .

Thanks so much in advance for all your help, to date all my experience has been to avoid metal tubes when firing any explosive powders , even as lifting charges , so to me this is like mixing water with electricity ,and I have much I want to learn before I dive in and create a nightmare.

I will leave you with my motto as it pertained to my pyrotechnic  experience  rule 1. safety first.... rule 2. see rule 1.

I am sure it holds high regard in your chosen passtime as well , as I've always said with some substances you get no warning and you get no second chance....this isn't brownie mix.....

Thanks again !
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Metal Strength Obfuscation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
no there is no conflict there at all, the 1 caliber thickness and cannon manias half caliber in muzzle is the same .
you should never have less than 1 cal wall thickness in chamber area and 0,5 cal wall thickness in muzzle area before the bell shaped muzzle reinforcement .
but as far as I know its only valid for bronze guns , cast iron guns need thicker walls .
when it comes to machined guns from rolled steelbars I dont know what dimensions that are an minimum .
but as you said rule 1 and 2   ;D  I say better safe then sorry .
if you want proportions for bronze and cast iron guns you could check out  :  www.arkeliet.net
there you will find a lot of antique drawings for cannons , both cast iron and bronze , somewhere in the upper right area of your screen you will find the word  :  bildearkiv . click at that word and you will find some very interesting antique artlillery handbooks , from 1698 to early 1800 , click at the book of your choice and you can see it page by page .

and by the way , welcome to the best cannon info site on the web  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 12:48:23 PM »
Welcome to our forum.   Glad to have you.  Please visit the stickies at the top of the board and you find a lot of your basic questions answered.

Quite Frankly the CannonMania Website is one of the worse sources you can find on the internet for cannon and cannon shooting information.  Not only are they very poor businessmen,(they owe people on this board money) they don't know what they are talking about.  Loads and information quoted on their board are inconsitant from page to page and often excessive.

I suggest before you do business with CannonMania you do a search on this board for information about them. It won't be flattering.

CannonMania has no credibility with this board. 

I suggest you visit the stickies posted at the top of the forum for information about safe shooting and building cannon.  You will find a link to both the North-South Skirmish Association and American Artillery Association   shooting a safety rules.  These folks have credibility

You will find the one caliber rule posted by both these associations  who have a long history shooting cannons.  The One caliber rule say the walls of the breech over the powder chamber should be equal in thickness to the diamer of the bore/powder chamber.

The one caliber rule is a safety rule and one that must be followed to shoot with N-SSA and AAA.  Doesn't matter the metal, that is their rule for participation with their organization.

Yes you can go thinner walls with 4140, but why would you want to?  Lighter gun.  Lighter gun, heavier recoil, more striain on your equipment. The weight helps dampen recoil.  Trust me that is an issue. It is a big issue, especially in the small scale guns.  Carriages get tore up real quick. You don't want you gun to be a secondary projectile.

If you stick to the original designs and demensions and scale from there,  you will find that they are not all one caliber wall thickness. Use 4140 and you will be just fine.

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 01:24:08 PM »
Well thank you both for the input !!

I certainly hadn't intended on doing any business with Cannonmania ,I was just concerned about discrepanciess between the 2 possible figures,and I agree whole heartedly with the safety being paramount, that's exactly why I decided to join here before attempting anything.

As I stated earlier I do have a working knowledge of black powder and it's use for firing projectiles,and the comment you made about recoil is most valid ,and the exact reason I'm here.
 You see since all of my experience has been in the fireworks trade, every shell I've fired has been straight up or almost straight up, making recoil a moot point for me,now with this new interest, recoil is very important as you pointed out,and one more thing I will have to consider, of course the 1 caliber rule will be used on my first build, probably from top to bottom now.

But for the sake of argument since I am not quite sure just what design I will attempt as of yet,and my skill set with metal work is basically non existent would it still be considered a safe build if the one caliber rule was applied to the breech end only,and reducing some farther forward, this would comply with the thickness requirements and still allow me to avoid making a powder chamber.

Thanks again for all of your help and expertise, and I'm sure I will love hanging out here for the latest and greatest......
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »
you dont need to be an highly skilled craftsman to do an nice mortar as long as you dont need to keep very small tolerances , just take it slow and be careful .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »
The one caliber rule applies to the breech end.  I have never seen rule of thumb for the muzzle.  Muller does discuss it but I don't remember what he came up with.  Some say that the muzzle flare is to give the muzzle strength, but later in muzzleloading artillery evolution the did away with it, for example the Parrot and Napolean.  I can only see two real advantages to muzzle flare, greater sighting ring  and weight to control muzzle flip.

Frankly if you scale the orginal gun you intened to replicate and keep the ratio of muzzle wall thickness to bore diameter equivalant you should be okay.  A first gun is not the place to experiment.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »
Let me add two pieces of information - and by the bye, welcome to the board!

The flair at the muzzel is to strengthen it.  For a given section of barrel it is supported/strengthened by adjacent sections of the barrel - but at the muzzle it is only supported/strengthened on ONE side and NEEDS more strength at the end to be as strong as the section just further back.  This is well evidenced by the fact that after MANY rounds one of the common places for cannons to fail is to develop cracks in the muzzle.

Second, tensile strength is PART of the equation.  FLEXING under repeated firing is another part.  Strengths are important - stronger is better; so to resistance to getting brittle is IMPORTANT. hence look at the charpy tests (notch) in respect to keep from cracking.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:15:07 PM »
Historically, the "one caliber rule" generally applied to cast iron cannons.  Early cast iron usually had a tensile strength of about 15,000 to 20,000 psi.   Bronze guns were usually always lighter than one caliber at the breech because of their tensile strength and ductility.  All of the Civil War era bronze cannons to my knowledge were light tubes.  Here is a list I compiled of typical  breech wall thicknesses of some of these cannons.

TYPE GUN                                     BORE                                CHAMBER DIAMETER                    BREECH WALL THICKNESS                         % WALL THICKNESS TO BORE
                                                                                                                                                   ( usually measured at vent)

1844 12 lb.  Howitzer                              4.62"                                       3.67"                                      2.85"                                                                78%
1857  12 lb. Napoleon                             4.62"                                        N/A                                        3.19"                                                                69%
14 lb. James Rifle                                    3.80"                                        N/A                                        3.10"                                                                82%
12 lb Mountain Howitzer                          4.62"                                        3.34"                                      1.48"                                                                45%

These are all bronze gun specs.  Below is a photo of a bronze gun with explosive damage.

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »
 Great Stats

I appreciate the response,and the detailed statistics on the various builds,and the fact that they were measured at the breech says something as well, but I'm not sure what it is...

What I mean is the great photos you added lead me to another set of questions that I might as well add now since these pics have opened the door for it, I was curious about the explosive force and it's power curve..for lack of a better term, I see that in the old days they thought it most important to measure the thickness at the vent sight of the breech ,and yet the cannon depicted in your photo has failed above the halfway point of this cannon, I'm sure that there could be various reasons for the failure,but my question would be at what point throughout the firing of a given projectile are the forces maximized ?

I'm sure the equations are available somewhere,but I have not been able to find them pertaining to metal stress ,I understand black powders volumetric capabilities ,that is to say that if you start off with 1 cubic inch of black powder that at a full burn 240 times the original volume will be created in gas, but these issues never had such a consequence in my field as they do using metal cannons and solid projectiles.

So for the picture you show having the split barrel, I am curious whether this happened as a result of a successful firing of the projectile which exploded the barrel from blast force ,or perhaps a  stove pipe type jamming of the given ordinance turning the cannon into a large bomb.

This is where it gets a bit hairy for me, thinking I will be loading in a projectile that if all goes badly becomes a quick fitted end cap for my very large pipe bomb....,and in that case a less brittle metal would be your friend, but the reverse is also true isn't it?

I mean if the barrel failure was due to initial blast then axial ,hoop, and radial stress formulas apply and a much harder metal would have been the savior because the blast force coefficient would have less penetration through the metals thickness before dissipating the question I'm trying to ask is, if both of these variables are possible then wouldn't the metal of choice be of medium hardness with maximum yield strength the maximum yield strength to reduce catastrophic failure from the force of the explosion,and medium hardness to distort,warp,split or vent the metal as opposed to fragment it ?

I hope I'm not wearing you all out, but my mind is racing now, I feel like Leonard Nimoy, " in search of cannon metals "

Thanks again to all who are helping me make the transition from cardboard and HDPE to the big guns....this is going to be fun !

I've already made my first slipped cannon reference to my wife totally without thinking, the wife asked me today about a location for a couple of dwarf apple trees she's wanting to plant, and I just pointed across the property and said .."well honey you can put them anywhere downrange over there.......oops......applesauce

thanks again in advance for any info on cannon metals and personal experiences with different metal types or thickness

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 12:31:03 AM »
now you start to come beyond my English language skills in this discussion   ;D  but I will try to give you my opinion anyway .

bp is an explosive mix , nc is an progressive fast burning mix . when an bp charge ignites it start expanding in volume and push the bullet in front of the expanding gases .

how fast is the expansion in volume compared to the moving of the bullet ??

is the maximum pressure peak really when the bullet is still in the thick walled chamber area ??

the muzzle flash/flame is unburnt powder burning outside the barrel , what I can understand the ideal would be to have just white smoke visible there when shooting . as it now is an flame it would mean that there are still unburnt powder residues in the expanding gas .

wouldn't that indicate that you should use an smaller fraction and smaller volume or weight of powder to get the maximum out of the charge ??

and that maybe also would lower the pressure inside the barrels muzzle area , but probably also give an higher pressure in the chamber area on the projectiles travel in the barrel during its acceleration .

OK now I see that what Ive been writing here didn't straighten out any question marks , it just created more of them  ;D

but this is an extremely important and interesting discussion . I hope to see a lot more different opinions here .

the picture show an typical bronze barrel damage , I have never had an bronze barrel of proper design to open up in the chamber area with bp , only when we tried with nc .
but this experiments was done under controlled and safe circumstances .
DONT EVER TRY IT YOURSELF .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 01:51:08 AM »

So for the picture you show having the split barrel, I am curious whether this happened as a result of a successful firing of the projectile which exploded the barrel from blast force ,or perhaps a  stove pipe type jamming of the given ordinance turning the cannon into a large bomb.

Most historians think it was sabotage.  I have shown the photo to illustrate how bronze cannons usually fail and why ordinance chief Alfred Mordecai advocated for the use of bronze in cannon tube construction in the early 19th century.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 02:07:42 AM »
 Dross Drunk said:

"I believe that most things are truly simple and our over examining nature has a tendency to become the stumbling blocks that we find ourselves having to overcome."

And later:

"I mean if the barrel failure was due to initial blast then axial ,hoop, and radial stress formulas apply and a much harder metal would have been the savior because the blast force coefficient would have less penetration through the metals thickness before dissipating the question I'm trying to ask is, if both of these variables are possible then wouldn't the metal of choice be of medium hardness with maximum yield strength the maximum yield strength to reduce catastrophic failure from the force of the explosion,and medium hardness to distort,warp,split or vent the metal as opposed to fragment it ?"

Dross,

For your first cannon build, you might want to stick with what you said in your first quote above (in other words, simple).

BP cannons are fairly simple devices, and you noted that you want to have something fairly portable. You can have a cannon that's "overbuilt" out of 4130, will be big enough to shoot a golf ball diameter lead ball yet still be plenty small enough to move around. Big bore smallish mortars are a lot of fun, and you're already familiar with similar doo-dads from your firework experience ;D

Here's one that shoots soda cans or tennis balls that I can lift with one hand...

You're asking some interesting questions Dross, but you might want to slow down a bit so those here can digest it in smaller chunks and give concise (and hopefully more helpful) answers.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 02:09:40 AM »

The flair at the muzzel is to strengthen it. 

I've been digging into the somewhat obscure reason for a muzzle flare on cannon barrels for some time now and here's my take on it.  I am not sure if either of these are valid reasons but the source's are reliable. This could be wrong though.  1. Flairing the muzzle was a form of psychological warfare in that it made the artillery piece appear larger than it really is.   2. The engineers of the day saw the flame at the end of the muzzle when the gun was fired and felt that it needed more metal where the flame was.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »
The split in the chase of the Union Napoleon at Gettysburg could have been caused from firing double or triple canister. When I first saw this piece years ago it was outside on cemetery hill and was bottom side up on it's carriage to show the damage.
Max

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 07:12:58 AM »

The flair at the muzzle is to strengthen it. 

I've been digging into the somewhat obscure reason for a muzzle flare on cannon barrels for some time now and here's my take on it.  I am not sure if either of these are valid reasons but the source's are reliable. This could be wrong though.  1. Flairing the muzzle was a form of psychological warfare in that it made the artillery piece appear larger than it really is.   2. The engineers of the day saw the flame at the end of the muzzle when the gun was fired and felt that it needed more metal where the flame was.

I'm talking physics not history.  At any given point inside the barrel there is an amount of the the barrel fore and aft of it that strengthens it.  Not so on the open end.  If you apply a constant pressure to every square inch of the barrel you see that the strain on the open end rises much more than on any of the interior where the adjacent areas are.  This is easliy seen if you have a FEA (finite element analysis) program to analyse the stresses/strains of a 3d model.  You will see in MODERN cannons some form of reinforcement - either a swelling at the muzzle or a counter bore to provide some extra metal beyond the bore that is not affected by pressure within the bore.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 07:58:51 AM »
cat whisper , why isnt it any muzzle swell at the mountain rifles ?? they are very slim in proportions and made from bronze , hope I used the correct name now , Im not so familiar with the cw guns .
I suppose that design is from beginning or mid 1800 .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »
Now we're getting somewhere

I just hope when we arrive I recognize the place..

In the fireworks industry we have something we refer to as over driving a shell, this is when non linear equations come into play.

When a heavier shell is loaded, the amount of black powder, which in a fireworks mortar is used as a propellant, not as an explosive, is reduced to achieve the same height or distance , and the lighter shells need more powder, this is due to the increased compression on the powder itself by the weight of the seated shell, this extra weight significantly increases the powders driving forces, and could sometime result in a detonation, but this detonation was due to shearing forces actually cracking the shell exposing the shells inner burst charge, which would explode while still in the tube ejecting the shells contents at the bore end like a mine, this would often split tubes, but I believe this is more due to the shell exploding while still in the tube than it is increased force by the propellant itself.

Both of you make valid points though like Cat mentioned I believe that the internal forces are ever increasing all the way to the point of the projectile leaving the tube fighting tremendously to get whatever is placed in front of it ,out of the way.

As far as the flame front, or muzzle flash I agree this is unburned powder or gas, but this could be easier fixed I think, not by decreasing the amount of BP trying to achieve a total burn, but rather to initiate the powder from the center of the charge bag as opposed to the bottom end , as this powder will burn from one end to the other or in this case from bottom to top, and I would think that projectile capable driving forces are sufficient to send the shell without the need of all the powder actually taking fire in the cannon itself and it becomes just one more thing in the propellants way and is shoved out the end  where it makes it's flashy appearance.

So if the BP could be ignited from the center of the powder charge instead of the end, it would create its maximum volumetric force twice as fast, and result in a more complete burn, it seems to me that this would be a great deal more like the projectile being shot out of the cannon as opposed to pushed ,doubling the burn rate without changing particle size.....probably not a good idea for this application though.

Okay now I think I've gone and scared myself again,

So what are we actually saying here as it pertains to metal choices and thickness, is  the consensus  that  regardless of projectile clearance for blow by, that the stress inducing forces are steadily and rapidly increasing all the way to the point of the shell leaving the barrel, thus making the bore end every bit as important as the breech, it seems from this discussion that it might actually be more important as the powder charge has not built up any speed whatsoever on first contact with the breech after ignition,but adversely it is gaining volume through more complete powder ignition,and gaining speed as it rushes for the path of least resistance the opened end ??

I know I'm a nit picker but I have been a pyro for over 30 years, and I still have my beard and all my fingers ,so please excuse my need to know mentality when it comes to this new found interest, I know I am probably forcing many of you to rehash subjects you  have down cold, but I believe I owe my accident free history to date to Fear ,and a great deal of respect for things that go Boom ! in the night. I'm just trying to play catch up here a bit...

Once again thanks for all your patience and input, I am learning a great deal here,as I knew I would................

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 10:58:35 AM »
but wouldn't it ignite the charge even faster if you start in the bullet end of the charge ??

when you first start getting an small rise in pressure it all will try to ignite the whole charge , with no possibility for the charge to move away as it does when fired in other end or in the middle .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm not up on the history of how/why particular cannons were designed the way they were, my experience is from having had FEA programs and applied the forces and observed the results coupled with what I learned about cannons in Field Artillery OCS at Fort Sill.

It MAY be that the charges of the mountain howitzer were less than that of a rifle of the same bore diamter built on a heavier carriage.  I am not the expert.

Of note, Confederate mortars were generall straight where Union ones had thinner and thicker sections.  Obviously one was simpler and more expedient to make.

Pressure, if it's similar to smokeless powder burning, peaks sharply at frist and then tapers off quickly - burning still going on but massive amounts of volume are needed to follow the round down the bore - so pressures are GREATLY reduced from peak by the time the round is moving or moving out the muzzle.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »
... but wouldn't it ignite the charge even faster if you start in the bullet end of the charge ?

Experiments after the US Civil War found that maximum velocity in black powder muzzle loading guns was achieved when the charge was ignited at the rear.  Presumably because the first part of the explosion spread apart the kernels of the forward part of the charge which allowed the fire to engulf the remainder in a shorter period of time.

Black powder burns degressively such that pressure falls off quickly, while smokeless powder (nitrocellulose) is designed to burn progressively such that the projectile gets a more steady push.  Maximum pressure still is reached fairly early but muzzle pressure is higher.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 01:43:39 PM »
      Does anyone know why a 50/50 duplex load of larger grain (slower burning) and smaller grain (faster burning) black powder would produce lower pressure and a higher muzzle velocity than an entire charge of a medium grain powder?  IMPORTANT to note is that the larger grain powder was placed to the REAR of this duplex charge!!  Such was the case when CSN Commander John Mercer Brooke experimented with this successful scheme to decrease pressure in his large rifled naval and seacoast guns.  The indications of decreased pressure were evident on the wrought iron milled base and brass ratchet sabots recovered from the target butts after test firing.

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 02:02:50 PM »
Does anyone know why a 50/50 duplex load ...

Do you know any details of the actual loading?  Was there a divider between the powder types that physically prevented migration of the small grains amongst the large grains?  Were the charges prepared and used immediately?  If not, I can see how the charge would have become mixed from the vibration of transportation.  That would have lessened the air space between the grains when fired which would have lessened the travel of the fire into the bulk of the charge which, I expect, would have slowed the burning of the charge, lowering the pressure.

Yes, a lot of speculation.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »
     There were no dividers between the two sizes.  Brooke's instructions to battery commanders explicitly required bag filling just prior to use.  You are right George, there is a lot of speculation required.  We really do not know the answer to this question.  We are hoping someone with a lot more experience with duplex loads than we do, or who has a well thought out theory like yours will post here.  Thanks, George.

Mike and Tracy

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »
Even without a divider, there has to have been some mixing of the grains just from the fine ones sitting on top of the coarse ones while more fine ones were added to the bag.  And then we have handling and ramming of the bag.  Hard to tell what happened without dragging a loaded one out unfired and examining it and hoping that the removal process didn't further confuse the issue.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 05:02:51 PM »
I don't got any experience of duplex loads , but I have been thinking about this for a while now and the most possible reason I could come up to is :

when the explosion starts in the back of the barrel the slower burning part of the powder starts pushing the projectile and the faster burning powder an short distance before the faster burning powder ignites .

that mean there will not be such an high peak of pressure directly , when the second parts explode and increase in volume there will be an much larger volume for the expanding gasses to fill .

maybe it will result in an more even pressure to the back of the bullet during its total travel in the barrel . that could increase speed without to have such an high pressure peak . as the pressure peaks are divided into two different moments .

it could give a little of an nitro cellulose effect .

sorry but no evidence for this , just my thoughts .

hope you understand how Im thinking , its a bit difficult thinking in swedish and then try to explain in english when the language skills aint good enough  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
when the explosion starts in the back of the barrel the slower burning part of the powder starts pushing the projectile and the faster burning powder a short distance before the faster burning powder ignites.

that means there will not be such a high peak of pressure directly, when the second part explodes and increases in volume there will be a much larger volume for the expanding gasses to fill .

maybe it will result in a more even pressure to the back of the bullet during its total travel in the barrel. that could increase speed without having such a high pressure peak, as the pressure peaks are divided into two different moments .

Dan,    Your explanation for the large grain to the rear, duplex load is excellent, we believe.  The following sketch is our attempt to graphically represent your thoughts on the lower pressure, yet higher velocity, duplex load originally developed by CSN Commander Brooke in 1862.

Love your logic!

Mike and Tracy

Not ALL grains will burn within the bore in the upper sketch, but there will definitely be higher pressures AND a waste of energy resulting in lower velocity in the lower sketch.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 01:12:50 AM »
There is evidence that the particles of powder in thre front burn later than the powder in the rear.  When shooting cast lead base bulelts (pistol) one can easily see the impact marks of grains of powder in the base of a fired bullet.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 03:44:40 AM »
 Please excuse the long post, but this subject has it's hidden alleyways, oddly enough the more you dig the deeper it gets.....and this stuff is interesting

After doing some more research I  have to conclude that the one consistent thing about black powder is that there is no consistency , this is something I should have already been aware of, because black powder more than just about any type of propellant or explosive, has many things that weigh on it's performance,and alter it's state of entropy ( communication theory) a numerical measure of the uncertainty of an outcome.

Windowed combustor measurements yield a low-pressure exponent (0.164) for the burn rate of black powder at pressures greater than 0.3 MPa. At pressures up to 13 MPa there is no evidence of combustion-induced de-consolidation. ( this basically means that it DOES NOT appear to have the ability to fracture it's own grain size  half way through the barrel becoming a finer faster burning powder.

IE: C-4 is a high explosive regardless of where you put it,and has a fairly consistent detonation velocity , where black powder on the other hand goes through serious morphs of capability.

Black powder is a low order explosive only when its contained, and it's a propellant when not. In it's free form state it burns at about 500 mpc, but once contained that all changes,and those changes are as different, as the many other variables used in cannons, like barrel length, bore diameter, load size, load compression, particle size, projectile weight, and projectile clearance, all of these things effect the behavior of the powder,and then we have environmental intruders like, temperature, humidity, even barometric pressure has an effect on the burn rate of black powder,as well as the temperature of the cannons metal itself

After reading all of our posts it will probably be easier for some to see why this is very much "alchemy" not chemistry, and not an exact science at all, this is what makes all of your standards and cannoning safety rules about using tried and true examples to create your cannons most valuable,because its the practical experience of all of you, and those before you that lay the groundwork for the rest of us.

In my research on  these dynamics I found this writing, I think you'll find  interesting.

Ideally the powder grain should burn progressively, with continuously increasing surface, the grain being completely consumed by the time the projectile leaves the bore

In 1860 Gen Thomas J. Rodman of the (U.S. Ordnance Department) began to tailor the powder to the caliber of the gun. The action of ordinary cannon powder was too quick. The whole charge was consumed before the projectile had barely started on it's way,and the strain on the gun was terrific.

Rodman compressed powder in to disks that fitted the bore of the gun being used. The disks were an inch or two thick,and pierced with holes.
 With this arrangement, a minimum of powder surface was exposed at the beginning of combustion,but as the fire ate the holes larger,the burning area actually increased,producing a greater volume of gas as the projectile moved forward. Rodman thus laid the foundation for the progressive burning pellets of modern powders.

I think if you read between the lines here you can see the advantages of reduced sized powder chambers, for one it does allow for greater metal thickness in this area giving greater strength, but also having a reduced size powder charge /compared to the bore diameter exposes less powder area   to the flame front,and thus slowing the burn, in an attempt to achieve complete ignition, in a proper progressive state as opposed to an "instantaneous flash".= (added barrel stress)

So if we take what has been written all the way back to 1800's till today , it appears that maximum cannon barrel and powder performance, would be achieved by customizing everything to coincide with the actual cannon being used, because the cannon in this equation is about the only thing consistent, and as far as, (bore/projectile clearance) a consistent number for a given cannon should "always" be used, if one doesn't want to keep making powder charge or grain size alterations.

It appears that , these loads, the powder charge and projectile would need to remain the same to achieve consistent results from a specific cannon, this would even include how well stabilized the cannon is in it's mount,as this too has it's effect on the result , I guess this means that in the cannon world Wheels are good ,and as far as mortars go, the bigger bore diameter allows the projectile to leave much quicker not giving too much time for pressure build up,and the reduced bore stress is the only thing that makes it safe to use a no recoil ground mount , like most mortars have.

So I guess to sum up what I'm thinking now  on the subject of black powder as it pertains to barrel stress is, it all depends on the barrels length, diameter, what the best charge would be to achieve a complete non explosive burn, and while I'm sure many of us will or have varied powder charge amounts and particle size for a given piece, there would be one that is optimum,and that's why joining forums like this is so important, as I will be able to gain the knowledge of those with actual experience, and have tested many different powders with many different barrels, and have logged those results, it is through those logs that safety is achieved, and I would just like to say thank you to all before me who singed themselves to char  in an attempt to achieve consistency.

And I actually thought making the transition from paper mortars to metal ones would be fairly easy, what in the world was I thinking ?

Many of the variables are the same though,  use what you know,and fear what you don't, because unlike the real world, in this field it's what you don't know that will kill you... thanks again for the spirited posts I feel like I have landed in the right place for a long and safe enjoyment of cannoning.

Tonight I start my cad drawings for the machinist, I have decided on small bore 1" to 1 1/2" mortar.
 My plan is to keep it simple ...making it more to the style of a signal mortar or line throwing mortar, of course keeping it in the pre 1899 replica styles available. I don't think I will make it for using projectiles though, I think I would feel better making this first one for blank loads, to help me get use to the repetition of loading / cleaning and firing....procedure.

I believe I will use a metal that lies between 1018 CR and 4140 and limit its length to between 10" - 12" inches. Fitting the trunnion to the breech end since targeting wont be an issue and I will have no need for adjustments.So if anyone could instruct me on what is required to confine this charge IE: wadding I would greatly appreciate it, and as soon as I have designed the mortar I will post pictures prior to handing them over to the machinist, so those more informed than I can critique them for stability,and safety.....

Thanks again to all of you, for your help, and input,  It is greatly appreciated and sorely needed.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 07:38:08 AM »
I hope we will have a look at the drawings when finished .

I found an nice mortar at an flee market a while ago , but unfortunately it was in cast iron .
I still can use it as an master to reproduce it in bronze  ;D

BUT IT WAS EXPENSIVE , almost ONE dollar  ;D

bore = 1 1/4"
total length = 3 1/2"
but no chamber or drilled vent

my thought was to reduce the bore to 1" in the bronze model
and have an powder chamber 1/4 x 3/4 to use home made meal powder .
outside chamber diameter is 1 1/2"
it would be fun with some experimenting again  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 09:53:38 AM »
...I have decided on small bore 1" to 1 1/2" mortar.  ...  I believe I will use a metal that lies between 1018 CR and 4140 and limit its length to between 10" - 12" inches.

The combination of bore diameter and length you propose will be more of a howitzer than a mortar.  Mortar bores are typically only two calibers (bore diameters) long.
GG
--Winston Churchill