Author Topic: Front Sight Paint  (Read 689 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Front Sight Paint
« on: May 05, 2008, 11:45:44 PM »
I need to put a dab of paint on the back edge of the front sight on my Tracker.  It shows up OK if the light is just right and the background is white or very light color.  Otherwise, its hard to see.  What have you guys done to fix this problem or am I the only one to have a problem with this???  If you have a FIX for this, please let me in on it.
I would change out the sight, but it is fixed and cannot be changed out without being removed and having a dovetail base installed.

Thanks, cookie

NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline moose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Front Sight Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »
i would paint it glow orange

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:37:12 AM »
I give mine a base of white Testor's model paint, then a coat of dayglow orange.  The white seems to make the orange brighter.  I have also used just white, but that isn't very good in the winter due to the snow.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 03:36:28 AM »
I agree with woodchukhntr, a trick learned many years ago is to paint the back of the front sight with white paint before putting on the orange, it makes the orange appear much brighter and it is easier and quicker to pick up when aligning the sights....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:45:35 AM »
There are paints specifically designed for gunsights, but they're probably not much different than what you'd buy locally in a hardware or hobby store. As has been said, using a base coat of white makes the top coat much brighter. Lure paints will work too, I've used just about everything under the sun trying to make muzzleloader sights easy to see, that's why fiber optic sights are available, wish they were when I needed them!  :-\ The Tracker II appears to use a standard H&R rifle sight, I'd certainly consider using a Williams ramp and Firesight instead of paint. ;)

Tim

http://www.brightsights.com/index.shtml
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 07:44:50 AM »
I have used fingernail polish on both sights and hard lures for quite a few years now. I like the "hard as nails" type, pretty cheap and last quite well, easy to touch up as well....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
I always get the green fiber optic beads, when I replace them on my shotguns.  Does the orange show up better, since it is not fiber optic?

Patterned the 20ga Tracker I with the turkey choke installed, last night.  What a difference it made getting that YOUTH low comb Monte Carlo stock off there.  I was able to lower the rear sight and it patterened great.  I probably should have stretched it out farther than 20yds, but that will probably be my longest shot, in the area where I will be hunting. 
At 20 yds. with #4 standard loads, I kept all the pellets in a circle from the bottem of the neck and upward past the top of the head.  This was on a turkey neck and head target that I printed of the internet on a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet.  Not one pellet below the bottom edge of the paper and the was about a 1/2" below the  aim point suggested on the target. THAT'LL DO!!

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »
The difference between orange or green might just be up to the user. If I had the option to go fiber optic instead of paint I think I would opt for the fiber optic, just my thoughts. It sounds as if you have a great turkey gun there for where you are going to hunt...best of luck buddy....<><....:)

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
I will have to price out the job with my gunsmith on geting that front sight removed and a dovetail base in stalled.  It's soldered on.  Thats why i was askin about the paint.  I did get it painted this evening.  Turns out the wife a a couple brand new bottles of flourescent green Tester's acrylic paint left over from some project.  shows up nice.  We'll see how that works for tomorrow and go from there.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 03:50:17 PM »
Aaahh wives, what are they good for( ???)....Sounds like it will work just fine and the price was right buddy...best of luck....<><....:)

Offline striker525

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 04:35:56 AM »

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 04:47:53 AM »
I like white front sights , and have used different paints for this , but now I use those paint markers , looks like a magic marker but with paint in it , they do come in different colors and I get them from a craft store my ol lady goes to , sure you do need to touch it up once in awhile , but so what