Author Topic: EAA Witness 45ACP  (Read 715 times)

Offline the jigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
EAA Witness 45ACP
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
I've gotten interested in the EAA Witness. It is my understanding that it is a CZ clone. What do you gentlemen think of this particular pistol, pro and con?
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline Savage

Re: EAA Witness 45ACP
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
Great pistol for the money. Mine are in 9mm/10mm/.40/.45. The only con I can think of is, the pistol is a little big for concealed carry. I highly recommend them.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:36:01 AM »
Don't mean to "dis" this pistol but, if it's a double stack, they always felt like a banana in my hand too big? This from someone who uses a single stack 1911 often(read old fashioned)?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Arizona Jake

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »
I've owned a Springfield Armory P9 in .45 ACP (same as EAA Witness) for over 10 years and my only complaint is that the barrel's chamber is a tad too tight and reloaded rounds sometimes get stuck. No problem with factory ammo, though.

Some people might object to the grip, but the gun fits my large, skinny hand better than anything else, except my SIG P220. The SIG is my house gun, while the P9 rides in the vehicle at all times.

The fact that you can purchase additional slides/barrels/magazines for it for not too much money makes this handgun one of the best buys for the money.

Regards,

JB
Joaquin B.:cb2:

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »
I had an EAA Witness .40 back when the .40 was still a new round. It was probably the worst gun I have ever owned. I loved the way it felt in my hand, but it was really plagued with problems. It shot 5.5" high and 4.75" right at 7.5 yards. That meant that at 25 yards you couldn't even hit the paper. You had to guesstimate a few feet below left of you target to hit it. Then there was the problem of the magazine popping out every 5 or 6 shots. I know this had to be an abnormal gun, or Tanfoglio wouldn't still be in business.

This was back before you could get a real CZ. Today you can, so I would recommend getting the real deal instead of a cheap Italian clone. The CZ75 was the gun chosen by the Soviet Special Forces, and it is really a fine weapon. Go CZ.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
I had a full size 45 witness several years ago (brushed nickle finish). As I remember it shoot accurately but the reason I got rid of it was due to it not liking anything but ball ammo and it heavy over all weight. It would jam during feeding on anything but round nose style bullets. This very likely could have been fix with a throating and polishing job. But at that time I didn't want to put any money into it.

Like I said this was several years ago, 10 or more.  So they may have corrected that problem by now.   

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
90% of all problems in semi autos are caused by the magazines?
AF&AM #294

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 01:33:48 AM »
90% of all problems in semi autos are caused by the magazines?

Absolutely correct in my experience!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 01:40:27 AM »
Savage, that's not just my opinion but, Rob Latham, Bill Wilson and other noted shooters as well at a USPSA Nationals several years back? I was privilege to a conversation of theirs.
AF&AM #294

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:43:20 AM »
S.B. pretty heady company you keep. yes, the vast majority of auto pistol problems come from defective magazines. get a supply of good magazines and you have tremendously enhanced the reliability of your pistol.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson