Author Topic: I think I'm hooked on this new tv show!!!!! The Alaska Experiment  (Read 1734 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Have you heard of the TV show The Alaska Experiment? There is a guy on there that never shot a gun in his life and they turn him loose on a 338 Win. Mag. The scope cut this guys eye. Looks like they are setting them up to fail to me. For a guy that never shot a rifle why would they not give him a 30-30 or even a 30-06?  Dale  http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/alaska/alaska-week.html
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline backstrap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Have you head of the TV show The Alaska Experiment?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 03:54:10 AM »
Yes Dale i watch the show every episode it is funny to watch those city folk out in the bush.my guess is the bush pilot the survivor expert dont have a 30-06 or a 30-30 he is the 1 that loans them the guns. up in Alaska i would think the shots would be to fare for a 30-30.i watched it last night and a few couples are carring little 22 crickets imagine takeing on a big brown bear, or a wolf with that cap gun.Do u watch it? how that guy that shot that goat was treating that mans 1500 doller rifle. i would be crying if it was mine zeiss scope i would think would be a 900 scope more or less and a Remington 700 stainless rifle 600 dollers give or take, the survivor expert didnt say a word to him on being careful with the rifle u might bump the scope off after he fell down a few times and some big rocks come down on him and the rifle but he shot that goat so i guess they will take a beating to some point
1 shot 1 kill

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: Have you head of the TV show The Alaska Experiment?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:05:19 AM »
Last night was the first time I have watched it. It really is funny to watch them out there. Did you see them shoot at the bear with the 22 LR? Yea I would be peed off if someone beat my rifle around. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline DalesCarpentry

Re: I think I'm hooked on this new tv show!!!!! The Alaska Experiment
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 06:06:37 AM »
Here is a link to the first show. You can watch it on line. Dale    http://video.discovery.com/player.html

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:09:49 AM »
I only saw the first episode and thought it was the funniest thing I'd seen on TV in years.  I particularly liked the group with the father and two fat daughters.  While dad was unsuccessfully out trying to catch salmon, the two piglets stayed in the cabin gorging on peanut butter and eating up all of the supplies.  A close second is the Jersey trio who got lost within minutes of being dropped off.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:48 AM »
yes that group is very funny,last night it showed the older sister shooting some kinda cannon this guide let her use showed he how to fire it, because she was going to have to shoot a moose she shot at a target the gun kicked he real good her dad laughed and said thats called recoil it was funny she just barley hit the paper plate,never heard what caliber it was but at 1 angle it showed the end of the barrel looked liked the end of a 12 gauge shot gun but it was a bolt gun
1 shot 1 kill

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
I would not want to be around those "fruitcakes" if they did wound that grizzly with the 22. They have no idea what would happen. ;D

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:27:59 AM »
It's illegal to hunt big game with a rimfire rifle, must be centerfire.  .338 is the most popular gun in Alaska, with the .375 H&H being the second.  30-30 poor choice, it can get you killed.  Anything you carry must be adequate for big bears, otherwise you can be in trouble fast.  Yes a 30-30 can kill Caribou, Black Bears, and with proper shot placement a Moose.  But under stress I would hate to face a Grizzly with one.  Have faced bears twice under stress, first time with a 12ga at four feet, second with a .35 Whelen at .40 yards.  Don't ever want to do that again.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 05:58:31 AM »
I was not suggesting anyone hunt Grizzly bear with a 30-30. I should have been more clear. I don't think you should hand a person a 338 Winchester Mag., that has never shot any kind of gun before. That is a very bad way to start someone out shooting. He will most likely develop a bad flinch. I just was making the point they should have started him on something with less recoil. As far as the 22 LR goes trying to shoot a Grizzly. That just shows how stupid they are. I would say the guy probably missed him. I sure would hate to piss one off holding just a 22 LR. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 07:02:18 AM »
I was mistaken. It was not a bear that they shot at with a 22 LR It was a Buffalo. I was only half way paying attention when I watched it the other night. I was on GBO typing and watching it at the same time. Dale

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 07:51:10 AM »
There is also a minimum requirement for Buffalo, gun must produce a minimum of 2000 ft lbs if energy at 100 yards.  That rules out a .308, and a lot of guns.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
There is also a minimum requirement for Buffalo, gun must produce a minimum of 2000 ft lbs if energy at 100 yards.  That rules out a .308, and a lot of guns.

Not according to Remington, all of their 308Win big game ammo except the 125gr exceed 2000lbs energy at 100yds, some loads have almost that at 200yds.  ;)

Tim

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/ballistics/comparative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=PRSC308WA*PRC308WA*R308W1*L308W4*PRSC308WB*PRA308WB*R308W7*PRC308WC*R308W2*R308W3*PG308W3
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 01:00:26 AM »
If you read the disclaimer at the beginning of the show, they have professional guides to keep them out of trouble.

While they try to make it seem "real", there is a cast an crew, an they aren't really "alone" in the wilderness.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Echo4Lima

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 04:55:52 AM »
Been watching since it started.  MAN those people are in a world of S@*T!  Flatlander city girls!  Amazing how "civilized" some have become!

Whom do you think will be the first quitters?  I'm thinking the tent couple.  The concrete contractor and his wife are seeming to adapt well. Interesting.

Wait till the old man takes a crap in the kitchen with the 2 spoiled daughters!

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 09:35:30 AM »
Yes that is nasty haveing there crapper right by there food supply ,there to fat and lazy to go out side to use it so they have it in the cabin,and by the food of all places
1 shot 1 kill

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
They sectioned off part of that cabin so they would not have to heat the whole thing. If nothing else why would they not put it in there away from the food. Dale

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 04:47:15 AM »
I watched the Alaska experience for the first time last night.  These people should not even be in Alaska with their limited knowledge and preconceived ideas and political correct attitudes.  I quit watching after 30 min because it was so rife with inconsistencies and an unbelievable lack of basic survival knowledge.  If these people did not have some others around to make sure of their survival, they would not have lasted a month.  I went into convulsions from laughing at the pitiful wood pile to keep them warm during the winter months in a cabin that obviously wasn't that well insulated.  I heat with firewood in a small home in Alaska in an area that rarely hits zero, and I go through 10-12 cord of wood a year.  And that is with dry wood, not green and just cut.  Someone out there is making money from this real life tv program and if followed by others who have watched, will get someone killed or seriously injured.  The producers need their heads examined and the participants are worse.   
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:57 AM »
Can some one tell me where to see this extravaganza. Sounds like survivor Alaska stile
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 04:56:20 AM »
Rex, it's on the Discovery Channel, Tuesday night, Dale posted the link to their web page in his opening post.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 05:40:50 AM »
WELL, put another mark on the wall by my name. ::)
Thank you Tim, for being so polite about it. ;D
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 06:29:12 AM »
I've been watching for a week or 2 now. I agree that none of them would actually survive without a lot of help.
I thought the hunting scenes and dialog were pretty good. None seemed to have any real experience with firearms and they all seemed hesitant to (God forbid) kill anything.  However, I thought all in all they changed their attitudes when it meant getting meat for the freezer. I thought for sure it'd turn into a huge anti-hunting/anti-gun type of thing but it hasn't

I also agree with above that none have enough firewood to make it thru the winter. Not even close.

However, since they must hunt per Alaska regs and seasons, it's a bit different than truly living out there where you could hunt continually and literally shoot anything walking around "carrying meat"

Overall, not a bad show, and I'm already camped in front of the TV from watching Deadliest Catch   :)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
I watched the Alaska experience for the first time last night.  These people should not even be in Alaska with their limited knowledge and preconceived ideas and political correct attitudes.  ....  Someone out there is making money from this real life tv program and if followed by others who have watched, will get someone killed or seriously injured.  The producers need their heads examined and the participants are worse.   

In my opinion, if you examined the head of an average TV producer you'd find mostly mush in there. Mush sprinkled with $$ signs.

On the other hand, there may be a possible benefit - more candidates for the: (fanfare please...)
Darwin Awards: "Honoring those who do a service to Humanity by removing themselves from the Gene pool"  ::)

Nonetheless, deltecs does point to a possible future problem: Newbies (cheechakos, tenderfeet) showing up in the wilderness thinking they can survive, based on the show. Like the guy who recently died in his bus, and the guy communing with bears, and along with his girlfriend, was subsequently eaten by them.

Don't get me wrong, its not that I oppose people doing whatever "adventurous" things they are willing to attempt. Just that I don't much like the idea of the rest of us (taxpayers) having to pay for saving their asses, or otherwise taking care of them after (when) they screw up.

I do however support the contribution these folks are making to the local economy by employing (and do doubt entertaining) a number of Alaskan guides and such.

I also like watching it for the spectacular scenery!

my .02
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »
Here is a link to last nights show.  http://video.discovery.com/player.html Those Goat steaks looked good. I wonder what they taste like? Dale

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »
Like goat. Not the best meat in the world. I would rather a moose any day.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
They don't stay for the winter, they go home before Christmas.  They stay 90 days.......

My vote for the first to leave are the tent couple.......very hard to heat, no fire wood, no food, and nothing they've attempted has worked out.......

The threesome in the cabin seems to be doing the best IMO, followed by the couple in the other cabin.......then the fellow with his daughters....followed by the tent couple.......

The guy with the tree daughters has it pretty tough trying to put up with those two.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 12:43:40 PM »
I have to agree that his 2 daughters a very spoiled. I can't believe he has not choked one or both yet. The couple in the tent are having a very hard time of it and do not have much food at all. Not to mention fire wood. You are right they are worse off than they other people. Dale

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »
And this is only 3 months in Alaska.  I hope they never get on the Minnow for a 3 hour cruise.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 02:20:56 AM »
And this is only 3 months in Alaska.  I hope they never get on the Minnow for a 3 hour cruise.

No Mary Ann or Ginger to be found on this show.......
Barry Goldwater

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 07:08:55 AM »
Been watching since it started.  MAN those people are in a world of S@*T!  Flatlander city girls!  Amazing how "civilized" some have become!

Whom do you think will be the first quitters?  I'm thinking the tent couple.  The concrete contractor and his wife are seeming to adapt well. Interesting.

Wait till the old man takes a crap in the kitchen with the 2 spoiled daughters!
You were correct about the tent couple being the first to quit but not for the reasons you may think. Dale      http://video.discovery.com/player.html

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
I thought the last episode was the most "real" of them all.  That couple left this little "game" to be with his dying dad.  They obviously made the correct choice.
  It was a good episode that put the entire show into perspective. It's still only a show, these people really wouldn't survive on their own (but it does require some toughness just to do what they're doing), and they're only up there for a few months.  Real life and real death have to take precedence. 
The couple summed it up correctly, if I remember the show corrrectly, when they asked themselves what they'd regret more: Missing 11 more days in Alaska, or missing out on saying goodbye to his dad.......easy answer to me
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14