Author Topic: Need help picking a scope  (Read 529 times)

Offline oldyardog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Need help picking a scope
« on: May 08, 2008, 03:14:28 AM »
I am finally to old to use open sights as well as I would like to. I am setting up a Handi rifle in .357 as a short range (100 yds) deer gun. My experience with scopes is very limited and dated. As I am on a fixed income price is a big consideration. Any input you can give me on which 2 to 4 power handgun scope would be the best suited to my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Oldyardog

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Need help picking a scope
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:29:16 AM »
I can think of no possible reason why I'd ever put a handgun scope on a rifle. Field of view is just too narrow so stick with a rifle scope.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:18:01 AM »
Yep, a riflescope is what you need, and I can think of no reason why a 2 to 4 power fixed scope wouldn't give you everything you need on a .357 rifle under 100 yards.  I think a Weaver K4 is a scope you could get for about $120 new and it would serve you superbly well forever. Some of the 2.5X shotgun scopes might be had at a reasonable price also.  I don't believe in the $29 stuff, but I do think that between $70 and $130 you can find something decent.  Fixed power scopes sometimes give you a little more latitude for savings vs. durability. 
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:57:27 AM »
I earlier posted this on the H&R Page, but it may help you out.   Because of the minimal cost of the NEF's I have a hard time spending more money on the glass than on the rifle, so I am always in search of reasonable glass for a price that fits with a NEF.  A few months back I aquired a BARSKA 4X32 Scope, I used it on a couple of rifles and it was clear and held zero nicely.  When I finished my 17 Fireball stub project I used it to do the initial setup on it, it still worked great.  The other day I bought a Barska 3-9X40 Huntmaster just to try out, I used some medium Leupold rings from Walmart.  Turns out the scope/ring combo is nearly perfect for a NEF without modification of the hammer while still getting it as low as it can be.  Best part is that the scope can be had for under $40.00 delivered (Ebay) and the rings are cheap at Walmart.  The 3-9 is clear at all settings, only thing I noticed on both of the Barska scopes I have is that the windage affects the elevation and the elevation affects the windage to some amount.  Once you get it set it stays fine, but 10 clicks up may get you 2 clicks left also.  Pictures below show the clearance to the hammer with proper eye relief set and the scope mounted on the FB project.  This has worked out well for me, so if you need a cheap 3X9X40 scope that will fit your NEF take a look.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:49:27 AM »
If it were me setting up your rifle I would put a 2 1/2X Leupold on it. It will give you a good point of aim to far more than 100 yrds. I have one on my muzzle loader and shot a deer with it at 289 yrds. The shot was lazered before the shot and the deer had already been hit or I would not have shot.

Offline 221fireball

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »
Bushnell makes a 1.75 to 4x with cross hairs in a small circle that really help you to get on target quick around $100

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:52 PM »
Years ago, like about 50 years ago, my Dad acquired a pair of Swift binoculars. Never heard of them, but they were wonderful. Sharp, clear, stayed in alignment, to the point that he acquired a second pair for his cabin cruiser. These binoculars have never been serviced and are still some of the best I have ever used.
To the OP - I've had several 2.5 power scopes and a couple 3 power scopes. I mostly keep my variables on the lower settings, so a good fixed low power scope suits me well and is cost effective. Four years ago I discovered Swift scopes. Since then I have bought several of them for various rifles. Some were new, well under $100 including shipping, some used like the one that came yesterday was $30.10 delivered. I still love my two Leupolds, and two Redfields, and the Weaver K2.5's served me well for a lot of years, BUT...... I think I like the Swifts at least as much and they are bargains in any book. Several are usually available on EBAY and GUNBROKER, and they are also available at Sporting Goods Stores. Their website shows them to be in California. I forgot where.

I've used scopes for years - love the irons - just can't see them, anymore!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater