Author Topic: Road Trip  (Read 616 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Road Trip
« on: May 10, 2008, 03:54:23 PM »
I just got back from a two week road trip to visit family and friends and round-up some of my gear up that is in storage.

I stopped off and saw Wes Pilley.  Made a 4 hour one way side trip to ge to him.  It sounds like he may be slowing down a bit at work and may be back with us on a regular basis.  Saw Tropico's tubes all standing in a row looking pretty.  Got my knuckles rapped with a piece of 3/4 colled roll when I tried to hijack one, a yellow one of course.    Saw the bowling ball mortar, gold ball mortars, and a couple three pack howitizers..

Picked up my round ball mouls for 6 pdr ball as well as a round ball mould for pop can size round ball.  A lttle later Wes will be sending be up a round ball mould for Golf ball size.  These mould are for casting zinc round ball. 

I have been toying with the idea of loaning these moulds out.    I would have to have a security deposit to make sure I get them back...say you send me $50 cash and postage and I send you the mould.  You send the mould back and I send your $50 back.  Anyone interested?

Something else I deceide on this trip was to buy a travel trailer.  Any of you guys have any idea what kind of mark up or margin the travel trailer people work on?  Will they negotiate like car dealers?

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »
RV dealers will negotiate, but do your home work first.
Go to several RV shows to see what's out there and all the extras you may or may not want or need. If you plan on hauling your cannons and mortars around then look into the toy hauler style of trailer.
This summer with fuel prices going up Dealers will be hurting, so will owners who can't afford to pull their rigs and might just want to get out from monthly payments. 
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:10:37 AM »
you guys should be happy .

HERE IN SWEDEN WE PAY $ 9 PER GALLON FOR PETROL   :'(
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:27:49 AM »
Dan, you are correct. We are happy that the price of gas is only $4.09 a gallon here in northern Kaliforny. It is just a shock to be paying that kind of money when last year we were paying under $3. Sure I expect it to go even higher like over $5 before the end of the summer. We usually have people coming to the summer shoot from as far as two states away. I hope that the price of petrol doesn't scare them away.   :o :o
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 02:36:32 AM »
No comments  on the mould loan scheme...anyone have alternate Ideas?

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
I stopped off and saw Wes Pilley.  Made a 4 hour one way side trip to ge to him.  It sounds like he may be slowing down a bit at work and may be back with us on a regular basis.  Saw Tropico's tubes all standing in a row looking pretty.  Got my knuckles rapped with a piece of 3/4 colled roll when I tried to hijack one, a yellow one of course.    Saw the bowling ball mortar, gold ball mortars, and a couple three pack howitizers..

So.., you tried piratin' one of me Golden Guns did ya now ? "Hold fast mate" when they  are finished I hope ta be see' in Wes's bowling ball mortar me self. (I've never actually seen one ) I sure like to see him launch a few when I am over there.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:43:14 PM »

How about casting a few shot of each size and posting the diameters?  Don't want to commit without knowing they fit my bores.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »

How about casting a few shot of each size and posting the diameters?  Don't want to commit without knowing they fit my bores.

It will be a while before this happens.  Gotta find a house first.