Author Topic: What's your favorite 10mm load?  (Read 535 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
What's your favorite 10mm load?
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »
What are you guys running out of you 10mm? I'd like to hear your favorite bullets, weights, and brands of ammo for what ever you're using your 10mm for.

I finally got my Dan Wesson CCBT 10mm broke in, so now it's ready for action. It will be a carry gun 90% of the time, so that's what I'd like to focus my ammo selection on. But it will also serve for the possible target of opportunity up to the size of deer if I get a chance. I have more appropriate guns for serious handgun hunting so I don't want to get to hung up on that issue with the 10mm.

Right now the gun is loaded with Hornady's factory loaded 180gr XTP. This is just the easiest load to find locally. I plan to try some other loads from all the usual sorces like Corbon, BB, and Double Tap. I'm curious what some of you are running and why.

Shipping FedEx Ground keeps a small business running.

I'm not late, I'm early for tomorrow.

Keep honking, that should fix everything.

Offline Rusty Phillips

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's your favorite 10mm load?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 03:21:09 PM »
dont really have a favorite - havent shot my G20 enough to be able to say that,

but as luck would have it I did get a package in earlier today from Adam Frank at www.freakshowbullets.com

had a 50 rd box of his 180 grn XTP load at 1225 fps loaded up in new starline brass

http://www.freakshowbullets.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_39&products_id=123

its almost too pretty to shoot

whenever I next get around to going to the range I'll post a report.

Offline yorketransport

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »
Thanks. I'd love to hear a report after you've had a chance to try them.

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:50:56 PM »
I like the Double Tap 200 grain FMJ or the 200 grain Cor Bon Penetrator as a field load for hiking if I am looking for a deep penetration load.. As a practice load it is hard to beat the Blazer 200 grainTMJ. I always keep some extra in the ammo box. For self defense I like the 180 grain Hornady XTP. I like the feed profile of the XTP bullet and feel it could be used as a combination medium game load or for self defense. When banging around in the woods I like to load 2 of the 180 XTP's in front of 8 200 grain FMJ's.

Offline yorketransport

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »
Thanks Ak.Hiker. I've been leaning towards the XTP for an all round bullet. They've given me good results in other calibers, and like you said, I feel like they could serve double duty for field and defensive use.