Author Topic: CONCEALABLE LIGHT-WEIGHT HANDGUN ADVICE NEEDED...  (Read 1631 times)

Offline BCB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
CONCEALABLE LIGHT-WEIGHT HANDGUN ADVICE NEEDED...
« on: July 19, 2003, 11:29:34 AM »
First time poster on this board.  I came here for some advice on a semi-auto handgun for conceal/carry.  I am an ol’ wheel gun man and that is what I use/carry.  My father (74 years old) has a Ruger GP-100 in 357 Magnum and he indicates it is too heavy and too bulky to conceal.  Whatever!!!  He is planning on purchasing a semi-handgun and, although I am a reloader of 35 years and an avid handgun shooter, I must admit that I am not knowledgeable when it comes to the semi-auto handguns.  He indicates a 9mm but I think something a bit heavier, caliber and power wise.  Any thoughts?  The handgun must be light weight, concealable, and in the $300-$350 ballpark.  Advice is well appreciated.  Thanks…BCB

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
CONCEALABLE LIGHT-WEIGHT HANDGUN ADVICE NEE
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 12:10:05 PM »
Well , in that ,arket i suggest looking at maybe a tauras, or even look for a used glock 19/23 ,26/27   i avoid kel tech like the plague! sorry you kel tech guys i havent found one yet that is 100%! the tauras isnt really high onmy list either but i have seen them hold up somewhat well! or even lok at the bersa line of pistols

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 02:56:44 PM »
BCB :  In the price range you are wanting to stay in I would suggest a Kel-tec p-11 9mm or the p-40 which is the 40S&W but I understand the 40 is a handful to shoot on a regular basis, like Deputy said they are not 100% but come to think about all the handguns out are just a little short of being 100% or we would all be carring them I have the p-11 and have put thousands of rounds thru it and it has performed as well as I any of the higher dollar handguns I own, no not as accurate as some but none the less it is just a concelled carry hope you never need it type of handgun, but whatever you decide on practice/ practice. :D    JIM

Offline reelhook

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
9mm
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 06:52:34 AM »
As far as I am concerned-ther is nothing better in a small auto than KAHR- They are a bit more but you might find onw that is used. They are small and concellabe. Great guns

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 07:49:47 AM »
Have him look at a Kel-Tec 9MM. They are light, compact, hold ten rounds, and DA only. Every one I have ever talked to that own one love them. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 05:42:46 AM »
I vote Kahr.  Just make sure it's kept good-n-lubed all the time.  Mine, and the others I've seen, seem to require a bit more lubrication than most new generation pistols.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2003, 12:51:15 PM »
The Kel tec gets the nod from me as well. I have put a lot of rounds thru the four I own, and have yet to have a malfunction. I own pistols costing four times as much that cannot boast such a record. I carry one 24/7 as a backup, nuff said!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ronbow

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 10:19:07 AM »
I recommend a Star M43 Firestar. They come in 9mm, .40 and .45. I carry the 9mm because it is smaller of the three. This gun also is very safe in that it has a thumb safety and the hammer must be manually cocked for the first shot. I have also found it to be very reliable. I recommend the "Starvell" (nickel) finish to prevent rust.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 04:36:36 AM »
BCB:  If your Dad has been packing a Ruger revolver for a number of years, going to a semi-auto may not be the best choice for him.  You may wish to consider a lighter-weight snub-nose revolver instead - it would simply be 'scaling down' his current choice of defensive handgun.  

In this regard there are a number of great choices, the S&W J Frames, and my personal choice is for an Airweight Bodyguard, Taurus has a number of lightweight DAO or DA/SA snubbies that would fit the bill and ther are probably others as well.  

If Dad has been 'thinking' about a semi see what he would think of a lighter weight revolver.  The 38 Spl, even in a lightweight revolver may be a bit easier on a 74 year old wrist but that caliber has been proven to work just as well as many of the others.  Maybe some range time is in order for Dad, and with a number of choices.  Just my 2 cents.  Mikey.

Offline Josey

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 08:46:28 PM »
Hey No-brainer.  Get a Ruger SP-101 in 9MM!  I like stainless.  They use moon clips.  If you have the urge for a compact 9MM the only one I would consider is the CS9 from S&W.
si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2003, 07:46:58 AM »
My deep concealment piece of choice is a Taurus M85 5 shot. Small, light weight and highly concealable. Its only a 38 but still better than throwin' stones. I think i only paid like $285 for it brand new. Of course theres always the G19 but the M85 is still more concealable.

Offline Highplainsman

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2003, 09:09:06 AM »
In the price range you posted I would suggest the Kel-Tec P11. I have found them to be very reliable. If he would like to stick with a wheel gun one of the air weights in S&W (used) to get it within the price range or a Tarus. The Star that have been suggested are good guns but a bit on the heavy side. A used Glock(none better) might fall into the price range you suggest. :-)

Offline lundboy

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 06:16:45 PM »
try the KAHR. OR GLOCK 19. spend a little more

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 06:50:40 PM »
Having owned all three, it is my position that the P-11 is a better everyday carry piece than the Kahr or the Glock 19/23. The same firepower in a lighter, smaller envelope! It's still hard to believe that a $200 pistol can do the same job as a $400/600 one! No snob appeal here, no one shows off a kel tec or brags of ownership. Just a tool that does the job with a little pocket change left over!!!
Savage

Offline Redf150

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 09:10:05 AM »
On that P-11, I hear that it is resommended to fluff and buff, did you do this to your p-11's savage?
OR did you just polish the feed ramp?
Thanks a bunch. :D
Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 09:38:19 AM »
Redf150.
Guess the "fluff and buff" couldn't hurt. I put about 100 rds thru mine right out of the box. I then disassembled them and looked for burrs and wear marks. One of my P-11s needed some burrs removed and some smoothing out here and there. The was the oldest kel tec I own. (Serial # 40xxx) The other three were just fine. After the initial 100 rds mine got a through cleaning and lightly lubed with synthetic grease with special attention to areas showing contact wear. Every 2 to 3 months I shoot the guns dry, then clean, lube, and reload. Function after the initial clean and lube has been flawless. The only mods I have made on my personal P-11 is the addition of a pocket clip and a trigger shoe. The trigger shoe is a big aid to accuracy. If you can master the trigger the guns are suprisingly accurate!
Savage

Offline jgalar

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2003, 09:45:56 AM »
Another Kel-tec recommendation here.

Offline Redf150

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2003, 05:34:41 PM »
Hey thanks Savage you are a big help in my decisions to pick up a new ccw, your facts are solid, and experince is a must, thanks again, Im going to go get a KT P-11 this coming week.
 :D  I saw there is like a Nato green polymer with a parkerized slide on the KT web site, Are those sold like that or was that like a pictureonly deal?
Also is parkerized a good way to go on these little fellas?
 :toast:
Greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

Offline Savage

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 02:16:05 AM »
Redf150,
Yes, the green grip frame model with the parkerized slide is a production gun.  All mine are blued, and I have to stay on top of them to prevent rusting. If I were buying a new one it would be hard chrome or the parkerized finish. Hope yours serves you as well as mine have! If you do the "fluff & buff" thing, stay away from the aniodized aluminum frame rails, and be very careful not to remove too much material anywhere else. Be expecially careful not to change the angle of the feed ramp.
Best,
Savage