Author Topic: Old eyes..blurry site picture..NO MORE!  (Read 1678 times)

Offline THEPLUMBER

• Trade Count: (3)
Old eyes..blurry site picture..NO MORE!
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:22:05 PM »
Just wanted to shout out that I found a cure for blurry iron sights ! I never heard anyone ever mention this little known fact. At 56 years young I wear bifocals and can't see my sites clearly.I recently got contacts (MULTI-FOCAL) and one of the benifits of them is my front & rear sight are both in focus!!! I never heard any one mention this or I would have got them years ago.Just wanted to let some other shooters know this as it might be helpful to them . Cant wait to get to the range.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Old eyes..blurry site picture..NO MORE!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
Thanks for the post.I wear bifocials also and I didn't know you could get contacts in the place of them.Many years ago I wore contacts but as I got older I went to glasses.I'm checking them out in the morning.Thanks again ;D........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 01:01:51 AM »
Glad to hear you can shoot a pistol again. I went through the same thing but progressive bifocal glasses did it for me. I decided to try the progressives because lined trifocals were driving me nuts and lo and behold, I could see iron sights again. Now if I could find a cure for shaky hands.

Offline THEPLUMBER

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:40:31 AM »
Well thats good to know too, because I also have glass's with the hard line bifocal. I never realized that the progressive contour had that gradual power curve to them. I just thought it was a vanity thing and got the lense with the line in them cause I'm old and proud of it.The things ya learn!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
When I retired in '95 my vision was 20-80 left eye and 20-250 right eye. For some reason on its own it pretty well cleared up since retired to the point I no longer needed glasses at all. Now that I'm being treated for dry eyes my vision is 20-20 in both eyes and I'm told it likely will improve still move. Even my close up vision is returning. Prior to the dry eyes treatment program I had to have reading glasses to see anything at arm's length and closer but now I'm beginning to be able to read things again at arm's length without optical assistance and am beginning to get even closer vision again.

It is simply amazing the difference that being treated for dry eyes has done. I use Restasis twice daily, Thera Tears every few hours while awake, I take Hydro Eye pills twice a day and use Gentel Gel at bed time. My eyes are no longer red and raw and scratchy as they were and my vision improvement is nothing short of amazing.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 03:58:21 PM »
Plumber and Bill : I am amazed... more info on the old eyes blurry sights cannot hit what I want still want to shoot pistols problem..
dk

Offline Ironwood

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
Graybeard, I know very well what you are going through with the dry eyes.  My wife has been using the Restasis for a few years now.

I've always had exceptional distance vision but my near vision has deteriorated over the years.  I'm down to trifocals now.  I'm due for an eye exam so I'll try the progressive lens this time around.  It would be great to be able to see the sights on my muzzleloaders again.  Plumber thanks for the information.  I bet you do feel like shouting! :)
GO GREEN--RECYCLE CONGRESS

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:28:27 AM »
Graybeard,
Congratulations on your improving eye sight. This should be quite timely for when your new FA arrives, I can see you putting some molasses on the stone wall down yonder to pick off the fly's that it will attract ;D

I have been wearing the prescription glasses for around 13 months now but have found a draw back. Long before (and when I started shooting really good) I found that if I kept the sights in sharp focus, and let the target blurr, I could hit what I was aiming at most of the time.
The glasses make it much harder for this to happen. My sights are in focus but so is the target...kind of like I was doing before I learned to let the target blurr out.

Offline barber

• Contributor
  • lilke hunting with handguns, metal detecting,
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 05:48:35 AM »
I'm nearsighted, so I held my hand out and at about 6 inches past my fingers on my outstretched arm and had my bi focals  made for that distance.  I can still see out to the target, but I can see my sights just fine.
barber

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
With the current improvement in my vision even the front sight on my S&W snub nose revolvers is clear to me again.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »
You make me want to cry!   :'(
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:31:09 AM »
(putting Richards head on my shoulder, patting his back)  There, there.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
Durn, GB, now that you can see, maybe you'll be less cranky???? ;D
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »
Durn, GB, now that you can see, maybe you'll be less cranky???? ;D

Nope not likely.  ;D

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 01:39:18 AM »
So Graybeard, does that mean we can now get some feedback on that beautiful little Mag-na-port .32 Single Six that Ken did up for you?  (or did I miss it?)  Glad your vision has returned.  We should all be so lucky!  I keep buying open sight guns because I love the handling, but my groups keep getting larger and larger because my eyes just can't focus as well anymore.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 05:57:59 AM »
So Graybeard, does that mean we can now get some feedback on that beautiful little Mag-na-port .32 Single Six that Ken did up for you?  (or did I miss it?)  Glad your vision has returned.  We should all be so lucky!  I keep buying open sight guns because I love the handling, but my groups keep getting larger and larger because my eyes just can't focus as well anymore.  44 Man

The gun Ken did for me was not the Vaquero .32 Mag and in fact that one has already moved on down the road without me ever firing it. The gun Ken worked was a Single Six 22LR/22Mag combination. Long story on that gun. I do have it back now but had to return it to them as they lost the magnum cylinder while it was there the first time and I had to return it to them for a replacement cylinder. I've fired it since using the magnum cylinder and it won't stay on a quart oil can at 25 yards. I am very unhappy with that as the gun was a pretty darn good shooter when it left here but just needed an action job.

I've not yet shot it with the .22LR cylinder hopefully it will still shoot as well with it as it did before it left or better since the action is really nice on it now. But I am grossly unhappy about my magnum cylinder being lost and replaced with one that for whatever reason is pretty much useless to me. I will do the review as I had promised I would in return for the work but this gun will be gone from my house almost immediately after the review is completed and posted. I no longer have any interest in owning this gun.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »
Graybeard - that's nothing short of a miracle!
Glad GOD has blessed you with improved eyesight.

Willy

Offline the lone gunman

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 09:40:28 PM »
I am 50 and wore glasses all my life. went into bifocals when i was 40. Just had lasik surgery on both eyes to remove cataracts. Wow!  Its a whole new world out there now, no more glasses needed, not even  to read.  Now I just need to remember to put on safety glasses when I shoot.   Dale
Next Stop,, Willoughby !

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:32 PM »
I'm 67 and when I shoot my pistol, I use progreesive tri-focal glasses. They work real well. My regular bi-focals are no help...........