Author Topic: Hog problem in Pa.  (Read 539 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Hog problem in Pa.
« on: May 15, 2008, 02:36:05 AM »
There's no evidence that Pennsylvania Game Commissioners are considering nuclear weapons to get rid of Pennsylvania's feral hogs.
They seem willing to try just about anything else, though.

Free-roaming feral hogs are an invasive species, and a harmful one at that. They compete with native wildlife like deer, bears and turkeys for food, destroy habitat when rooting for food and eat fawns.

Last December, the state Supreme Court decided that the Game Commission is responsible for doing something about the animals, even though they're not wildlife. The commission's answer -- at least in part -- is to let hunters shoot hogs when and where they find them, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year in 64-of-67 counties.
"To sit and do nothing, in my mind, is irresponsible," commission executive director Carl Roe said.

The only counties in which the all-out attack of hogs doesn't apply are Butler, Bedford and Cambria. There -- where hog populations are densest -- hogs are off limits to hunters from the end of the flintlock season in mid-January to the beginning of spring gobbler season and from the end of spring gobbler season to the beginning of archery season.

During those times, the U.S. and Pennsylvania departments of agriculture may be trapping the animals.

Trapping is considered to be the more effective method of eradicating hogs, while hunting may cause the animals to disperse the animals more quickly than they would otherwise. No agency has stepped forward with the money to fund a trapping effort so far, however.

Charles Bier, senior director of conservation science for the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, said efforts to raise that money are underway.

In the meantime, though, commissioners said they must do something to get rid of these hogs.

"We can't just let these things out there to reproduce until people do something," said commissioner Russ Schleiden of Centre County.

Commissioner Dave Schreffler of Bedford County called feral hogs a "real, real threat" to Pennsylvania's wildlife. It's important that they be destroyed -- not managed for hunting, but destroyed -- totally and immediately, he said.

"This isn't a hunt, this is an eradication effort. I don't want this animal associated in any way with our game animals, at all. This is a totally different area," Schreffler said.

"I want to totally disassociate it with wildlife management. This is to save our game species."

Radical methods

Game Commissioners might try a more radical method of hog control than hunting.

Walt Cottrell, the commission's veterinarian, said some states have had success wiping out wild hog populations using helicopter teams. A pilot flies low over pig herds while one or two USDA-trained gunners armed with shotguns full of double-ought buckshot blast them from the air.

Cottrell said he's been assured the strategy could work in the wooded terrain common in Pennsylvania. He said he plans to pursue a grant to try it out here.
  Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Hog problem in Pa.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:06:09 AM »
I would rather hunt hogs for meat anyday. SC has a open season on hogs and well our populations aren't that bad.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:42:57 AM »
I am hoping they open some type of season on them in Bedford county. It is only about 60 miles from here and I sure would like to eat one. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline alsaqr

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:11:20 AM »
The PA game folks need to wake up real fast or it will be too late like it is too late for parts of OK and TX.  Sounds  like the PA game dep't wants to hire more trappers in order to build up their kingdom.  The feds at the Wichita National Wildlife Refuge near here claims that hog hunters are causing environmental damage and wants to hire trappers instead:   More kingdom building.  That place is over-run with hogs and it is very hard to get permission to hunt hogs there.   

I hunt hogs 12 months of the year.  Here in western OK they  breed like rats.  Last year was wet and we had a bumper crop of pecans and acorns.  I've seen about 20 sows with small pigs and every one of them had at least eight pigs. 

Hogs probably kill as many fawns as coyotes do.  Deer do not even like to drink at a pond where lots of hogs hang out.  I have seen hogs chase deer off game plots and away from water holes.   Hogs are causing a lot of environmental damage, including the sedimentation of ponds.  You should see what 30 hogs can do to a wheat field over night.   

OK is starting to wise up.  We can hunt hogs with high power rifles 12 months of the year on private property.  Residents and non-residents do not need a hunting license to go after hogs except in deer and elk season.   There are some public places where they will not let you hunt hogs with a muzzle loader, shotgun and slugs or center fire rifle.  The game commission has not approved night hog hunting for everyone.  A farmer or rancher is allowed to get a depredation permit to kill hogs at night. 

BTW:  I dispute the PA game commission statement that they can get more hogs by trapping them.  I trap them too.  For every hog I've gotten in a trap, ten were shot.   Hogs wise up to traps really fast.   

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:25:14 AM »
What gets me is they have been talking about doing something about the hog problem for almost 2 years. Yet they have not made any solid decisions on the matter yet. Mean time they are breeding like bunnies. The counties that have the largest population they won't let you hunt. That makes no sense to me. Dale