Author Topic: Polar Bears now listed as "threatened"  (Read 1008 times)

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Polar Bears now listed as "threatened"
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:44:07 AM »
Polar bears were listed as threatened by the USFWS yesterday.  This is a first because the bears were listed because their numbers MIGHT DECLINE with "Global Warming".  That's the way I heard it on the news.  Nothing wrong with the numbers now but some time in the future too much sea ice MAY melt and polar bears MAY NOT be able to adapt.  No hard facts, thank you very much, just some half-assed theories and extrapolations.  What a bunch of tree huggin crap.

Offline jamaldog87

Re: Polar Bears now listed as "threatened"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:05:30 AM »
i don't know man they have looking pretty bad. I don't know all the facts but maybe they do need to be on that list,but on the other hand once there on it very hard to get them off. Now wolfs are something i wish i could go after.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:47:51 AM »
Jamal, the first part of your response is what got the bears listed.  The idea that things don't look good for polar bears.  This is completely false.  In North America polar bear numbers are at an all time high and most populations are increasing.  Furthermore there is no proof that the bears need sea ice or snow at all.  For all we know the ice has actually been a deterent to the polar bears growth.  The inuits have limited their subsistence hunting of polar bears because sport hunting by outsiders brings in huge amounts of money for them, once the sport hunters are gone the natives will put the bear's numbers in check and populations will decline.  More junk science, tree huggers will say populations are in decline (not citing reasons for the decline-subsistence hunting) and the bear will recieve full protection as an endangered species.  On the plus side Canada has rejected the USFWS ruling and native Canadians can still hunt them.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »
Dang, and I was just about to sell my house, truck and two children into bondage so's I could book a Pbear hunt. That's the economy hunt of course.

I understand some of the frustration but you've got to admit the anti-global warming folks haven't produced any real data other than a lot of whining and bitching.  I too think it's a cycle kinda thing and the global warming people are working with a short data base but I don't have any facts to back me us and,  if they aren't, we're doomed anyway.  :D

Point in FACT, when there is no sea ice, the Pbears go for MONTHS without food except for occassional washed up carrion until the sea ice forms and they can hunt their natural prey which is seals. 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 05:54:41 PM »
Jamal U R AN IDIOT."I dont know any facts but HEY lets throw em on the endangered list and remove one more species from the hunters opportunity's..."
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Jamal U R AN IDIOT."I dont know any facts but HEY lets throw em on the endangered list and remove one more species from the hunters opportunity's..."

look stuff been happen all over the world(from more floors to fires) is it global warming i don't know probably is.  And how is it  "remove one more species from the hunters opportunity's..."? How many people hunt them there just like rhinos and elephants. look it happen and there nothing you or i can do about it and call me a IDIOT is wrong.  I was just putting my 2cents in.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline NONYA

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
Whatever you say AL Gore

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 04:37:28 AM »
It is amazing how many folks fall for the "Greenie" stupidity. Thanks SDS-GEN for the more informed response. And about the Global Warming crap, why did many places have the worst winter last year in years? Just like our wonderful folks in Congress who decided
that Shell Oil  CANNOT develop oil from shale, I guess oil is still too cheap for us "peasants". Ignorance is bliss & we are having a blizzard.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:50:10 AM »
Whatever you say AL Gore

I just going by what been happening here in FL. in 2003 the fishing was so easy here that a man could have fresh fish every day. now it's not ever worth the time to even go out.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »
Florida has too many Yankee Liberals moving down & spreading surburbia & shrinking the habitat in places. The Artic doesn't seem to enjoy the same "prosperity".

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »
As I said, the greenies are coming up with data. Whether it's outcome driven or "junk" science or not remains to be seen.  So far all the anti-greenies have done is sit around calling names and saying "that's stupid" without any data, junk or otherwise. 
A really, really harsh fact of life is if some tin-foil hatted bozo gets on Oprah and sez we've got global warming and drags out some figures and charts, 13 million people in NYC are gonna go screaming to the store to stock up on long johns.  And for Billy Bob to spit snuff on his shoes and say "ain't neither" doesn't change a @!#!!*^ thing.  13 million people are leverage. They get people elected. They get people un-elected. They make things happen. 
So, as quickly as you anti-greenies can get some data together that maybe the Pbear does better without ice, feeding say on small eskimo and inuit childred, you could get on the Oprah show and prove a need to quickly reinstate Pbear hunting.  It would be a noble cause don'tchaknow. "cause we're doin' it for the chirrun". 

Offline NONYA

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
Whatever you say AL Gore

I just going by what been happening here in FL. in 2003 the fishing was so easy here that a man could have fresh fish every day. now it's not ever worth the time to even go out.

Global warming ruined your fishing??LOLOLOLL

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
As I said, the greenies are coming up with data. Whether it's outcome driven or "junk" science or not remains to be seen.  So far all the anti-greenies have done is sit around calling names and saying "that's stupid" without any data, junk or otherwise. 
A really, really harsh fact of life is if some tin-foil hatted bozo gets on Oprah and sez we've got global warming and drags out some figures and charts, 13 million people in NYC are gonna go screaming to the store to stock up on long johns.  And for Billy Bob to spit snuff on his shoes and say "ain't neither" doesn't change a @!#!!*^ thing.  13 million people are leverage. They get people elected. They get people un-elected. They make things happen. 
So, as quickly as you anti-greenies can get some data together that maybe the Pbear does better without ice, feeding say on small eskimo and inuit childred, you could get on the Oprah show and prove a need to quickly reinstate Pbear hunting.  It would be a noble cause don'tchaknow. "cause we're doin' it for the chirrun". 

Well in the 80's the same group of folks were saying that we were headed for another Ice Age & we were in big trouble!!!!!  ::) They had charts
toooo don'tchaknow.  ;D

Actually, several scientist are getting bold enough to step out into the Lib firing line & state the DATA does not add up. And many parts of the World did get hammered last winter & are having a very cool spring.

No, the charts aren't going to do much, it is basically political with the Obama/Gore types easily swayed by the folks they believe in & logic is of no value to them.