Author Topic: California supreme court rules on gay rights  (Read 7503 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: California supreme court rules on gay rights
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2008, 08:01:22 AM »
The problem with queers is not only their behavior but it seems that they are unstable. Sorry to say it has been my misfortune to work in places where they had little "clicks" of queers. They have tjeir little tiffs and are too uspet to work. We the rest are expected to drop everything and cover for them. Forget the anniversary your going to, the dinner date, party appointment etc, your now workign overtime to cover for nice little queer who is outside blubbing their eyes out because their lover, partner or whatever you call them now has eye for soemone else often a non queer who they then hassle and pursue tyrgn to trun them ot trick them.

Never have I met a queer who was trustworthy and I have lost jobs over this in the past.

Another good reason for never trusting them is being approached by a male pedophile at the age of 12 years old whilst fishign at a small pond just off gatwick Airport. The only reason I was not assaulted was my fishing knife ut I had to carefully pack up and leave and was followed until I got the the gas station on the main road still with the fixed blade knife in my hand.

As for turning off the TV, well one thing I don't actually watch much TV, in fact I did not even have a TV having got rid on mine back in 1987. I now watch a little with my parents as I care for them but spend more time on the PC using the web or if nothing to read then there is alway a computer game to occupy the dead time, but the question is why should we have too? why are a large proportion of presenters queer? it seems that TV companies go out of there way to recruit queers. Of course they probably assume that by forcing them onto teh screens it will brain wash the children to think that seeing queers is quite normal  :(

As for Great Britain well the greedy polititions sold it out years ago, and as for democracy well that's a joke, elections are tainted by back handers and bribes and candidates are anything but normal people. Just look at you own elections!  :o

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2008, 10:56:33 AM »
The problem with queers is not only their behavior but it seems that they are unstable. Sorry to say it has been my misfortune to work in places where they had little "clicks" of queers. They have tjeir little tiffs and are too uspet to work. We the rest are expected to drop everything and cover for them. Forget the anniversary your going to, the dinner date, party appointment etc, your now workign overtime to cover for nice little queer who is outside blubbing their eyes out because their lover, partner or whatever you call them now has eye for soemone else often a non queer who they then hassle and pursue tyrgn to trun them ot trick them.

Never have I met a queer who was trustworthy and I have lost jobs over this in the past.

Another good reason for never trusting them is being approached by a male pedophile at the age of 12 years old whilst fishign at a small pond just off gatwick Airport. The only reason I was not assaulted was my fishing knife ut I had to carefully pack up and leave and was followed until I got the the gas station on the main road still with the fixed blade knife in my hand.

As for turning off the TV, well one thing I don't actually watch much TV, in fact I did not even have a TV having got rid on mine back in 1987. I now watch a little with my parents as I care for them but spend more time on the PC using the web or if nothing to read then there is alway a computer game to occupy the dead time, but the question is why should we have too? why are a large proportion of presenters queer? it seems that TV companies go out of there way to recruit queers. Of course they probably assume that by forcing them onto teh screens it will brain wash the children to think that seeing queers is quite normal  :(

As for Great Britain well the greedy polititions sold it out years ago, and as for democracy well that's a joke, elections are tainted by back handers and bribes and candidates are anything but normal people. Just look at you own elections!  :o

This time, I agree with you totally.  Michael Isner, who is gay, was CEO of Disney Corp.  I didn't like his management then, and don't agree with the gay philosophy now.  I'm not that religious and do not follow any religious doctrine.  So, the religious arguement is not applicable to my reasons for gay dislike. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »
I'd be very suspicious about any lawyer that gives out so called "facts" on gays being genetic and not a mental illness. Gay marriages equal gay divorces equal more  money in the lawyers pockets. No different than most of the laws passed by congress today, just another way to bilk money from people plain and simple.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline powderman

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »
GRAYBEARD. I want to thank you for finally allowing this discussion. This subject has come up several times over the years and you quashed it quickly. I'm glad you finally allowed this discussion. I always felt that we could discuss this in a civil, adult manner, and I believe we have. I've learned things about some folks here that surprised me, others I expected. I may post more, I may not, not a lot left to say for me. I'm going to post a list of Bible references below, look em up guys if you have a Bible, I'm sure some don't.

1 Kings ch 22, verse 46
Joshua Ch 10 verse 13
Corinthians ch 6, verse 9
Romans ch 1 verses 26-27-28
Leviticus ch18, vs 22
Leviticus ch 20 vs13
Ephesians ch5 vs 12
Deuteronomy ch 22 vs 5
deuteronomy ch23 vs 18 & 18.
11 Kings ch 23 vs 7.

This should mean something to those who are Christians, the rest of you it won't matter to. POWDERMAN.  :( :( :( :( :( :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2008, 04:08:11 PM »
I still don't get why y'all don't just let God handle it...?  ???

Your job is done here. You pointed out the depraved ones, stated your opinions, called for punishment. What else is necessary?

In pretty much every verse above, (all Old Testament I notice) God either does something to lay some whup-a$$ on the appropriate sinners, or states pretty clearly what's gonna happen when the penalties kick in. When He says He's gonna do something shouldn't y'all believe him?

Or don't you trust Him to keep his word anymore?

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Hooker

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:04 PM »
I'm pleasantly surprised this topic has not turned ugly. Excellent job folks.
Here's a little food for thought. This part you can take or leave it as you wish. As a Christian I know that homosexual behavior is a sin.
I also know that all of us are sinners and I know how God looks upon sins. And as a sinner I hold no position to judge others for their sins.
However it is the duty of all Christians to point out the sins of others not to condemn the person but lead them from their sins.

Here's where so many folks misunderstand. It is acceptable to  judge a persons actions, ideas , movement , group ,an institution..... So when we judge the homosexual community it is not un Christian like behavior. Some folks think that being a true Christian means that you should be submissive and caring to all things. Wrong a Christian resists all sin and temptation. God never intended that Christians be weak and submissive except before him.

Here goes my case against homosexuals. It's not so much the actions of your average Homosexual that should be our greatest concern.
It's the radicals that are driving the push for more and more homosexual specific protection laws. More homosexual specific rights.
This folks is not an  equal rights agenda. We have all seen this thing before with minorities so called equal rights movement.
Laws that protect specific groups do nothing more than cause division and decay. Laws and rights should protect people not ethnic  groups or or folks with different lifestyles or beliefs.

Now on to this homosexual marriage thing The government has no right to tell anyone who can and can't get hitched period.
Marriage is a religious institution a gift given to man by God not the state. So once again we find the government in violation of the Constitution. Is it just me or does it seem that most of our problems always lead back to government?

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »
I'd be very suspicious about any lawyer that gives out so called "facts" on gays being genetic and not a mental illness. Gay marriages equal gay divorces equal more  money in the lawyers pockets. No different than most of the laws passed by congress today, just another way to bilk money from people plain and simple.
Here's a crazy idea then. Why don't gay people make up their own church. The state can not interfere with the church. If that would be the case then they could get married to each other in their own church. I don't know the in's and out's of law but am I right the state can not control religion? If they were to declare their own religion the state would have no choice but to let them be married. Just a thought. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline deltecs

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2008, 04:51:51 PM »
That's the same thought the Texas splitter of Latter Day Saints tried.  Polygamy, which is against the law, maybe not religion.  One must have an organized religion to be recognized under law as a religion.  That means ordainment for leaders, tenet, and other considerations.  I don't think that gays would qualify for this distiction. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2008, 05:54:51 PM »
Hooker wrote: I also know that all of us are sinners and I know how God looks upon sins. And as a sinner I hold no position to judge others for their sins. However it is the duty of all Christians to point out the sins of others not to condemn the person but lead them from their sins.

To me you have just described the peaceful Christian way; the loving Christian way. That being said, I still wonder, if someone is not willing to be lead, when does a loving Christian step out of the way and let God handle it?

Laws that protect specific groups do nothing more than cause division and decay. Laws and rights should protect people not ethnic  groups or or folks with different lifestyles or beliefs.

Again, I agree. And I believe that was also the intention of the Framers of the Constitution... though so so much the intention of some recent lawmakers!  >:(

"The government has no right to tell anyone who can and can't get hitched period. Marriage is a religious institution ... "

That too is my position. I've mentioned it before, but not as succinctly as this. Thanks for stating it so clearly Pat.  ;D

And I too appreciate that this thread remained relatively calm throughout. I have come to trust people on this forum to freely and even sometimes strongly state their opinions, yet rarely turn ugly. And even though there may be occasional heat generated, as in any"family disagreement", the boundaries of civility have been clearly defined by GB and the moderators. They are not shy about bringing down the hammer rather quickly if heat should turn to flame. Thanks for an interesting and stimulating conversation.  [img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/Themes/babylon/images/post/thumbup.gif[/img]
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2008, 05:59:13 PM »
I'm still thinking this is just a way for the parasitic lawyers to make more money off of gay divorce.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2008, 06:14:52 PM »
I'm still thinking this is just a way for the parasitic lawyers to make more money off of gay divorce.
LOL. ;D ;D To be honest I have not ever heard anything more shallow in my life. I am sorry I just remembered my x wife. Ok then the second most shallow thing then. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2008, 06:47:37 PM »
I think the legal aspects are for insurance, medical coverage, taxes and the like.  I believe for years the deviant community has had various "commitment ceremonies".  

Hooker, thank you for your well stated perceptions of your religion.  I do have a question: If marriage is a gift of God, does this mean the pairs of heathens in the darker reaches of the world and the pairs of godless, sub-human mooslims, and the pairs of brown Indians of India and the Pakistanis and all of the other pairs of godless, sub-human people of the world that don't worship the Christian God are not married?  
If a pair of Hindus, living in the USA, file a joint income tax return are they breaking the law?  1. because the Christian God did not okay their union and, 2. the gov.ment hasn't any right to okay their union?  Are Christian folks that are married by a JP married or not married?  

I agree that this thread has pretty well run its course.  It's been a real hoot watching the zealots hop all over the Bible trying to justify their hates and prejudices.  While trying to appear holier than thou.  Like fleas on a hot skillet.  One must admit it is humorous to see someone claim to the high ground after referring to another human as godless, sub-human and 2nd class.  Perhaps the high ground depends on ones starting point. :D  

Their knowledge of the Bible has been impressive.  However, they have used that knowledge like a club, a bludgeon to try to hammer others into submission to their interpretation of God's Word.  They have used that knowledge to try to prove that they are God's chosen and He whispers in their ears alone. Only they have the answers to God's mysteries. Their very aura of superiority only proves that while their knowledge of the Bible may be extensive, their understanding is moot.  They feel superior to me; I feel sorry for them.  Maybe we're even. :D  I found this thread so interesting, that I am half way between Two Mile Hollow and Biloxi and I'm stopped for the night and I'm using a borrowed 'puter to check in.  

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2008, 07:03:24 PM »
Of course this is stupid.  I'd say something like 90% of lawyers don't do divorces.  There is little money and great personal drama in divorces.  Virtually no one gets rich doing them.  To suggest that money is somehow dominating this decision, at least as far as lawyers are concerned, is to express an ignorance to how the law business works.  I'm confident you'll continue to believe your preconceived notions, but hopefully others out there will think for themselves and not listen to your uneducated complaining.

And if given a vote today, I'd vote against gay marriage.  I believe society has defined what marriage is, and what they will support. 

My only motivation is combat ignorance.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2008, 01:00:33 AM »

I guess I should have known better than to approach the general crowd here with some of the incendiary words I used, such as Christian and
   Christian values. Using those words are to some, akin to yelling fire in a crowded theater..as soon as those terms are heard; pliable earplugs are formed
   somewhere in the ether..and come spiraling down in a death dive and drive themselves deeply into selected ears...

Let's take another tack, a more secular one; perhaps the "instant, reflex hostility" will not manifest itself !
      Some of us work in the electrical engineering trade, some at law, some as automotive technicians, some at heavy metal fabrication, some as carpenters,
      and perhaps medical doctors...others as cooks & bakers or sanitation engineers..
   Each of these trades have certain basic "laws of the trade" if you will...for electricians..an Ohm, watt, volt or amp have a given value, law has it's own value
   system called "ethics"..and they have a BAR assn. to govern what is or is not "ethical", metal fabrication is met with certain values..how much and what
   type stress can a given piece of steel, aluminum or magnesium comfortably... stand same values go with all of these trade or profession communities.
   It was recognized long ago that for these professions to survive and resist descending into a polyglot chaos..certain basic rules should apply. These rules
   are a simple compilation of what was shown to be feasible and workable..and what practices promote more confusion and distrust, which would cause  some
   of these trades or professions to be abandoned in favor of professional anarchy and nihilism !
   Thus such things as brotherhoods, guilds, unions, BAR assns., medical assns., society of American engineers etc were formed...without ground rules and some
   sense of right and wrong, any of these trades or professions could soon become a mere shadow of what it is today..a den of thieves,  not worthy of trust and
   a danger to the to the very existence of the professional community.
         A medical doctor should not be stealing a kidney from an appendectomy patient; a lawyer should not be confusing old widows to the point where they can
   get them to sign their will over to the attorney, rather than to their children (although we each may have "stories" to tell).  A BBQ cook should not be using
  cow manure for a seasoning without at least informing the customer (an actual case).
         All these professional communities have their policing methods. Some of these methods are reinforced with punishments..others with the obvious disapproval
   of their respective "communites".
  The American "community" is actually just an extension of these communities, and does need some basic ground rules that admit "this far and no further" ....
   lest the community suffer egregiously..
       Until perhaps 4 decades ago, the moral tenor of the American community was more or less set by the conscience of America, it's dominant faith; Christianity.
  This moral arbiter had no powers of punishment beyond simple "community disapproval" ..but it worked rather well ! the basic tenets  were given some 5,000 years
  ago and proven effective over a 5,000 year span.
        Yes, there were some problems, racism etc..but they were well on the way to being worked out .
   Generally speaking, life was cleaner, more polite, more respectful of American institutions and values.  The worst street  "gangs' only fought among themselves..
   usually with fists and ball bats, illegal drugs were a problem of very few...and there were certain moral boundaries people did not cross without severe
   (and usually effective) disapproval .
        Today's jaded generation often laugh about the "Leave it to Beaver" family picture that many of us grew up in..but such was a fact, although in my case. it
    it was not near as affluent a home as Beaver had !...LOL
          With the advent of the "sickening sixties", when catastrophically spoiled children of college age started their rebellion against morals, values and common sense,
   many folks got led by the nose into this "descent into chaos"..where we find ourselves today ! ...And there is no sign that the chaos is in any way abating.

In many ways, today with the problems we face..form STDs, some of the hatred by other societies, gangs, drug use which creates crime etc., etc. ...
    we are indeed only reaping what we have sown in these seeds of rebellion.

I am not advocating any type of legal punishment beyond disapproval..and one way of showing it is not allowing the pretense of genuine marriage to be employed
    in legitimizing the illegitimate..

If our culture had not cut it's roots and heritage,we would not be facing the chaos we presently are..and it will only get worse, barring a rapid "about face"...

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2008, 01:50:05 AM »
  Deltecs;
  Just to answer a couple things you brought up.  One need not be a member of an "organized" religion or have special qualifications to be ordained.
  Lets face it, many religions are not organized in any sense of the word..and there are "mail order" oridnations...simply because the govt shys away
  from intervening, unless something becomes outlandish.
     Anyone can call themselves "Baptist" for instance, as those idiots from Westgate do. Baptist is an old title, originally given as a term of derision, and
  there is no "copyright" on the term. There are two ways to evaluate the legitimacy of such groups. Baptists are called "the people of the book",(Bible)
  thus, a person well familiarized with the Book can soon ascertain whether a group is following "the Book" or not..Beyond that, see if other groups of
   the same denomination are approving of them or not. I can tell you that most Baptists have no time for the Fred Phelps type idiot. Patriotism, love of
   country and respect for veterans (which many are) is a hallmark of Biblical Baptists.

Dale;
   I hope this has answered your questions about certain "Christians' disrupting funerals etc...

More later, right now, this Baptist trained local cemetery curator, has to go and be present at a ceremonial burying of a recently departed citizen's ashes !

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #105 on: May 23, 2008, 02:43:36 AM »
why do all homosexual people have to be so for the same reason ? Some may in fact be in a mental state ,others just following the crowd , others may have learned from someone else and some born into it . From a govt. stand point it would matter as to benefits afforded a homosexual couple nothing else , to a religious person it is morals and to others it has other effects . If it is allowed ( not my choice ) then call it something other than marriage .
I find it odd no one addressed the question i asked earlier about those people born a mix of male and female . I was hoping that some of our members with religious knowledge could explain this . It is easy when someone crosses gender but when they have both how could it be a sin ?
I believe it is our duty protect against sin by setting a good example and passing laws that do not open our society to bad behavior and allow God to judge as there are many areas we do not have the understanding to forgive !
The older i get the more i notice people secure in their choices about religion , gender , etc. and secure in their ability to teach their children are much more tolerant of others and more willing to allow choice . Bottom we live our life we never agree to sin we teach correct lifestyle as we believe and allow God to judge !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline powderman

« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2008, 03:31:24 AM »
DALE. Some have formed their own church. Theres a dyke in Lou, self proclaimed preacher. She claims to have married hundreds of queer and lezzie couples. The media eats it up every time she's on tv. She;s telling folks that God approves this behaviour. Hard telling how many foklks she's led to hell. It's really sad. POWDERMAN.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2008, 04:45:14 AM »
  The discussion started with the CA court allowing homosexuals to "marry"; and contrary to what many seem to think. there was no "kill 'em", "behead 'em'
  or any such talk going on !
  As shootall put it, why don't they just go ahead with a "legal union" or whatever they prefer to call it;..just as binding as a real marriage, if that is what they want ?
   However, this apparently not enough..why ? It appears to me that they just want to DESTROY institutions that most of us would like to be left alone.. ..And why
   should "straight" society NOT be aggravated by this aggression ?
   I am surprised to find so many agreeing that it is perfectly acceptable for a special interest group..to destroy something the great majority of citizens truly value.
  Somewhat akin to PETA (a minority), trying to stop the millions of American hunters from utilizing an institution they truly appreciate and enjoy.

For the same reason, the physicians would likely be offended if the AMA started licensing witch doctors from the Amazon....Witch doctors should form their
    own "American witch doctors assn."..that would save a lot of anger and confusion...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2008, 04:58:39 AM »
IRONGLOW,  good post !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2008, 05:28:07 AM »
Powderman, If God can whisper in your ear, why not a lesbians? (or maybe you would understand it better if I said, Godless, sub-human dyke) Can only you "perfect people" do God's work?  If she is giving her congregation peace of mind and teaching them love and tolerance, tolerance to endure the hatred preached under the guise of the Lord's Word, tolerance to endure being called sub-human and 2nd class, isn't she indeed doing God's work? Regardless of the demons she must dance with in her personal life?  In my Book, God permits "do overs"; he doesn't demand that you be perfect, only that you try.  And you get to try again.
Why did you never tell us about family values and morality?  Why do you merely call names and try to degrade other folks?  When (if) you stop and ask yourself these questions, do the answers bother you?  

At one time, I could say "I'm a Christian" and that was complete in itself.  Now, sadly, there are people that call themselves Christians screaming obscenities in the streets, throwing blood and animal parts in the face of confused teenage girls, blowing up buildings and killing people "Cause God told me to"; there are people calling themselves Christians that assume an arrogance that permits them to call other humans sub-humans because they do not walk lock-step with them in their search for salvation.  There is so much meanness done in the name of the Lord.  And if you mention this, "oh that's another bunch of Baptist that do that, NOT US."  Yet, these same self-rightous folks will tar a religion that is larger than the Christian religion with a single brush.  Anyway, nowadays, when I tell folks that I am a Christian, I feel a need to explain what sort of Christian I am.  Basically, I'm one that is so busy trying to clean up my own act that I don't have a lot of time left over to be pointing fingers at others and calling them names.  

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #110 on: May 23, 2008, 05:36:59 AM »
beemanbeme , i feel if i have to tell someone i believe in God i must not be doing something right .

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #111 on: May 23, 2008, 06:29:40 AM »
beemanbeme: Good post.

But you and I both know nobody in the "other" Christian category gives a hoot for anything that doesn't fit into the confines of their belief system.

And truthfully, I could say the same about me. I don't pay too much attention to those who disagree with my beliefs. So all being said, it seems we are pretty much the same, though I am generally willing to accept folks with different beliefs without condemning, name calling or vehement personal attacks.

When I was a kid I was taught that Christians offered love, turned the other cheek, practiced forgiveness. Sin was a matter between myself and my God. As I grew up I learned about (and experienced) "other" Christians practicing righteousness and hatred and condemning other folk's sins more than their own. 

I used to like calling myself a Christian; now not so much. I still have what I consider a relationship with the same God I knew as a kid, but there seems to be a different God around lately.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter, because I believe, and have said here a number of times; no matter how one lives, what happens at the end is a matter between the person and God. And I still believe that the God of my youth is competent, powerful, and forgiving enough to handle whatever comes up without help.

And truth be told, I rarely say God anymore, mostly I use Creator - same thing to me.

beemanbeme , i feel if i have to tell someone i believe in God i must not be doing something right .

I have no idea what that means. Are you saying that if you act in a certain, "doing something right", way, people will "know" you believe in God? And they will know which version of God you believe in without you telling them?

For the record, I am quite willing to accept that you believe in God, but I suspect you don't think that I do - at least not the way you define God.

Why it is anyone's business who believes in God? It seems to me it is only a matter between you and God.

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2008, 06:42:32 AM »
Beeman and Tallyho. Both of your posts were great and pretty much sum up how I feel. Dale

Offline Beers

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: May 23, 2008, 07:29:43 AM »
A] any activity of individuals or mankind that ultimately leads to the decline or towards the death of the human species is pathological by definition. Since gays can't reproduce, at least 100% practitioners, and can only recruit and not procreate they fit this definition.

Actually, considering the dire overpopulation problem we face, those who don't reproduce are probably delaying the decline or death of the human species. All those silly Africans who were told by missionaries that abortion is evil, prophylactics are evil, and to go forth and multiply are going to bring about the end of their genetic line. There have been homosexuals for as long as there have been people, our population doesn't seem to have suffered at all.

As far as their horrible impact on morality and culture, some of you should crack a history book occasionally. Some of the greatest thinkers, artists and inventors of history were homosexuals. Leonardo Da Vinci (ya know, the guy that painted the "Last Supper") is a great example.

Why some people get in such a snit over what some consenting adults like to do in the privacy of their bedrooms is beyond me. Why they shouldn't be granted the same rights as any straight couple has never been satisfactorily explained to me. Everyone I've heard from that opposes gay marriage eventually has to resort to some variation on "It's just wrong, the bible says so. They're going to hell. They're corrupting the moral fiber of the nation, etc." Outside of their sexual practices, which are apparently "immoral" because God says so, I've never seen or heard a single iota of evidence supporting the notion that homosexuals in general are any more "immoral" than any other group of people.

And powderman, Ironglow... If y'all are right, and Heaven is going to be populated by hate spewing, vitriolic people like you... I'll take my chances in Hell.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #114 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:07 AM »
TALLYHO ,  if you respect people and their choices , don't hide your beliefs , pray and as you put it " do some thing right " , I would say live right , as the Bible says not any religion says people will know you believe in Gods way and follow his instruction . No people will not be able to tell if you belong to a certain church they will only know you want to be a member in the KINGDOM OF GOD !
Guess the reverse is if you cheat in business , on your wife or in other ways they will know you aren't living right no matter how many churches you belong to !
And to be honest i hadn't considered what you do with regard to your worship as that is between you and GOD ! But i will say i hope it is an arrangement you are satisfied with !

TM-7 , Some people believe in the Bible and follow to the word and others use it when convenient how do ya know which one ?
so they don't try to convince you they justify their choice in their mind the true believers should be allowed this choice the fair weather believer will be judged by GOD !

Offline tallyho

• DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #115 on: May 23, 2008, 07:51:16 AM »

And to be honest i hadn't considered what you do with regard to your worship as that is between you and GOD ! But i will say i hope it is an arrangement you are satisfied with !

TM-7 , Some people believe in the Bible and follow to the word and others use it when convenient how do ya know which one ?
so they don't try to convince you they justify their choice in their mind the true believers should be allowed this choice the fair weather believer will be judged by GOD !

I am quite satisfied, thanks. And as for who will be judged by God - I thought it was everyone! Fair believer, foul believer, non-believer.

And ultimately, it is between me and God, and I trust that whatever judgment will be be made, will be the proper one.

Gotta run - goin' away for the weekend, so not likely to be here much for awhile... ;D ;D ;D

DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
 Beers;
  Where was my "hate spewing" ? I don't recall any, sometimes i quote facts or statistics that folks don't care for..but that is a far cry from "hate spewing"..

Nevertheless, it has been an interesting discussion where we can see the lines drawn in the "culture war" a culture war that did not exist in this country 4-5 decades ago,
   and callously threatens to tear apart the very fiber of this nation.

Each of us should ask ourselves..what are the changes that caused this culture war. and which side is the "johnny-come-lately" that has precipitated and exacerbated  it ?

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2008, 03:43:26 PM »
GRAYBEARD. I want to thank you for finally allowing this discussion. This subject has come up several times over the years and you quashed it quickly. I'm glad you finally allowed this discussion. I always felt that we could discuss this in a civil, adult manner, and I believe we have. I've learned things about some folks here that surprised me, others I expected. I may post more, I may not, not a lot left to say for me. I'm going to post a list of Bible references below, look em up guys if you have a Bible, I'm sure some don't.

1 Kings ch 22, verse 46
Joshua Ch 10 verse 13
Corinthians ch 6, verse 9
Romans ch 1 verses 26-27-28
Leviticus ch18, vs 22
Leviticus ch 20 vs13
Ephesians ch5 vs 12
Deuteronomy ch 22 vs 5
deuteronomy ch23 vs 18 & 18.
11 Kings ch 23 vs 7.

This should mean something to those who are Christians, the rest of you it won't matter to. POWDERMAN.  :( :( :( :( :( :(

Ahhhhh, and here comes Powderman, storming in with bible verses for us to read and live by.  Of course, if we're going to live strictly according to the bible, we can't forget about these other verses!

Quote from: Leviticus 20:9
For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him.

Quote from: Leviticus 20:10
And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Quote from:  Deuteronomy 22:20
But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Quote from:  Exodus 35:2
Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the LORD: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death.

Quote from:  1 Peter 2
13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;

14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.

Quote from:  Leviticus 21
16And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

17Speak unto Aaron, saying, Whosoever he be of thy seed in their generations that hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God.

18For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,

19Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded,

20Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken;

21No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God.

22He shall eat the bread of his God, both of the most holy, and of the holy.

23Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries: for I the LORD do sanctify them.

24And Moses told it unto Aaron, and to his sons, and unto all the children of Israel.

Quote from:  Matthew 5:32
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

The point is, when you pick and choose which parts of the bible to force down other people's throat, you ought to take a real hard look at the other verses of the bible, and make sure you're living your life in accordance with the book you're preaching from.  Picking which ones are convenient and ignoring those which are not is the height of hypocrisy.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2008, 04:04:37 PM »
If one read the posts in this topic, not all the posts relied on religion for their opposition to gays in marriage.  My biggest opposition to gays being married stems from the Constitution of the US.  The Constitution does not say anything about sexual preference with regard to marriage and leaves this right to the States to legalize.  Currently 27 States have enacted legislation that marriage is between a man and a woman.  Just because California's State Constitution may permit the marriage status of gays, many other State Constitutions do not as written and approved by Congress for Statehood.  I don't think the US need involve itself with such drivel by any application of the 14th Amendment, as gays currently have all the protections under it that heterosexuals do.  By legalizing gay marriages and application of federal law, gays then are granted anti discrimination status legally protected by federal law.  This I think is a travesty to mandate and enforce anti discrimination against gays solely on sexual preference, and that is what it is all about.  Civic union accomplishes the same thing as marriage except for some benefits, that the heterosexuals will end up paying for.  Like health care insurance or life insurance, where gays have a much higher rate of HIV and that will effect accuarials and increase rates for everyone.  The same with Social Security benefits.  I don't want gays to adopt children and teach them their abnormal lifestyle.  Keep it in the bedroom, keep it to themselves, and keep government out of it.

Greg
deltecs

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
Genesis 24:2
He said to the chief servant in his household, the one in charge of all that he had, "Put your hand under my thigh.
Genesis 24:9
So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter
Genesis 47:29
When the time drew near for Israel to die, he called for his son Joseph and said to him, "If I have found favor in your eyes, put your hand under my thigh and promise that you will show me kindness and faithfulness. Do not bury me in Egypt

This hand under the thigh stuff sounds pretty gay to me