Author Topic: EXOTIC RAMS  (Read 2576 times)

Offline Rabyrams

• Trade Count: (0)
EXOTIC RAMS
« on: May 17, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
I breed and sell Exotic Type Sheep.  in the San Antonio Area.  I just thought i would share some rams i am pretty proud of.
these 3 rams are all less than 24 months old.   the 2 with the Wide Curls are only 18 months.  the 1 with the Big Round Curl is right at 2 years.
i am putting these on several ewes, on seperated pastures.   i belive i should get some great offspring if the Dads look like this at 1-2 years of Age.
my Ewes all came from Rams of this quality also.

HERE IS JUST A FEW OF THE OTHER RAMS I HAVE, I THOUGHT I WOULD ALSO SHARE ON THE FORUM.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: EXOTIC RAMS
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
They are beautiful!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline markc

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:56:24 AM »
On the one that is bedded, would you call that color a blond?  Very nice looking rams.  What area are you in?
markc

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
That's sold as a buckskin dall.  They can fetch a premium sometimes.  I'd like to add one to my trophy room.  I have a corsican brown, a black hawaiian and a Tx dall (white).  Will be looking for one either this year or next.

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 02:13:39 PM »
Wrong forum for such comments. Take the attitude elsewhere. This forum is for folks who enjoy exotics not folks who wish to bash the hunting of them. You already knew that. Graybeard.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 02:39:44 PM »
Very neat looking sheep.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »
?????

Not following you nonya.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »
Oh .... GB...appears N was here.  Sorry.  ;)

Offline NONYA

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »
It was a simple question,"DO YOU REMOVE THE EAR TAGS"? Everyone knows exotics are shot behind a fence,I noticed the ear tags and was wondering if they are removed to make the hunt seem more "authentic"

Offline markc

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »
Nonya,  I didn't take offense at your initial question personally.  I do however have to disagree with your followup.  It seems that you are insinuating that all exotics hunts are canned, by the statement that,  Everyone knows exotics are shot behind a fence,[/i]

Not all hunts for exotic sheep are canned hunts.  Like was already posted, this forum is for those who enjoy hunting exotic animals, including rams like the ones pictured in the original post.   I think that if you read the original post it included breeding some of the animals pictured.  Tell me how one would be able to purchase animals for breeding, especially exotics, that didn't have an ear tag.  These animals are generally bought at auction, and usually have been tagged by a breeder.   The offspring can be genuinely wild depending on how and where they are raised.   
markc

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
So are they removed or not???????? I will ASSUME that all exotics with ear tags are shot behind a fence.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
You can assume anything you want. Most likely that assumption will be wrong.

There are put and take operations and then there are operations where you are shooting game born and raised on that ranch. In put and take operations the animals are raised elsewhere and brought into the ranch for the hunters to take thus put and take operation. On those tags may or may not be removed. On such ranches many use colored tags to denote the price range of the animal at the time of release. Younger animals or those with smaller head gear being cheaper than those more mature animals or those with better head gear.

On other ranches they might remove the tags the person who raised them used and might or might not substitute their own. Such ranches deal in high volume and are more concerned with selling large numbers of animals than they are in selling a quality hunt. Still even on such at times a good hunt can take place it really depends on the terrain and size of the ranch.

On many especially of the larger Texas ranches the animals are stocked or were stocked many years ago and many generations have been born and raised right there on that ranch and have never known any home other than it. On such they can be as wild or in some cases especially with axis deer even more wild than white tail deer in the same area. It's really a matter of how that particular ranch is run and how large it is.

Sheep and goats are sheep and goats regardless. Meaning for the most part they are pretty tame and are not gonna give you much in the way of a challenge and in spite of what folks might say to the contrary that mostly applies to native wild sheep here in America as well. They are not as a rule as wild and wary as antlered game. Buffalo are another that generally speaking are not that much of a challenge no matter their location fence or no fence. It has been my experience that true muflon and auodad are exceptions to that rule. Some few corsican sheep retain some of that wildness and can give a decent hunt if on a large enough tract of land.

You folks who live in the wide open spaces of the country have a warped sense of what it takes to be a decent or fair chase hunt as you just don't see the kinda territory those of us east of the Mississippi river do. Here you can't see ten miles and know what game is in that area. You might be lucky to see 50 yards and an animal 100 yards away from you is one you'll never even know exists. It matters not really if the fenced area is 400 acres or four million if it is thick and the game is wary and aware you are there. You still might never see or even hear them and would swear they were not even on the ranch.

This forum is one for folks who enjoy the hunting of exotics. It is NOT a forum for folks who wish to knock it. So if that's your goal here get the heck out of this forum and go elsewhere on the site. I'll be out of pocket a few days so Mark if he gets out of hand just delete any posts he makes here that are not in character with this forum. If you need help in controlling his posts beyond that QuickDtoo can do about all I could if here as can DoubleD and of course Matt might can be reached via PM or e-mail if you must have an admin's help.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
Warped?Not hardly.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:44:25 AM »
I have an idea.
lets take Nonya out in the middle of about, 2,000 acres of high fenced texas brush country,
have some people come by every 2-3 days and shoot at him, don't hit him just shoot close
and see how long it takes him to get wilder than he is, Ear tag optional of course.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »
ALRIGHT everybody....enough.......

Nonya....we know how you feel....we disagree.....now let it be.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »
does anyone have a picture of a true muflon handy. was ask by a rancher several years ago to shoot any goats i saw on his property. I shot what i thought he was talking about, as it turned out he
didn't know what it was and sure didn't, i have been told it was a muflon.
Rex

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
Here's mine.  This is purebred from the Prioer Ranch (sp?) in Ingraham TX. An SCI Silver medal w 28" horns.  The holy grail is 33", a 30" is a super trophy!!

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 06:04:46 AM »
Well
What i shot was about 3-4 times bigger, had long hair 4-5 inches, was black,yellowish orange and
white. Had horns that were tight to the head 2 full curls then tips stuck straight out about 4-6 inches
Rex