Author Topic: Retirement life in Montana  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Retirement life in Montana
« on: May 19, 2008, 04:49:02 AM »
We are home!!!

For mothers day I took the mother of my two children and my wife of 42 years out for lunch and then an afternoon of  gopher hunting.  She enjoyed it.

She only shot about 150 rounds that day.

When we went back a day later the wife started right off with a double

Lots of gophers out like this one that wanted to ply peekaboo about five yards away.  

Gotta start practicing for those 5 yard shots...gun sighted at 50 yards shots high or low at 5?

I didn't miss them all.

Even the dogs got in on it.  Darn Rat terrier thinks she is a retriever!

Between the two of us we fire slightly over 600 rounds.

This last Saturday we visited a farm that in the past always has rock chucks out in the the rockpiles in the grain field.  The farmer wants them all shot.  Shot I shoot all the rock chucks I can  find in rockpiles in the seeded fields.  I leave the rock chucks  alone in the rockpiles in the fallow and stubble fields. That's my seed   Still managed to get 6.

When I leave the farm I always stop in and let the farmer know I am leaving and let him know how I did. Saturday the farmer asked if I got any out of the cement pile. I told him I didn't know what the cement pile was. He hopped in my truck and pointed the way.  We drove about 200 yards out behind the hay barn and in a big dip was a bunch of concrete rubble and a couple of rock chucks. Before I drive up to anyones farm house I always put the guns away.  So I told the Farmer we would come back in the morning.

Yesterday was suppose to be warm and sunny, it was cloudy and windy.  We drove up to the Cement pile and got set up...15 minutes later we had 7 dead chucks, and bunch running for cover.

We headed over to check some other rock piles and let the cement pile cool off.  The wind came up so strong that even the gophers stayed down, so we called it a day.

Thanks Graybeard for talking me into this retirement thing, I think I am going to like it!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Retirement life in Montana
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »
Oh yeah you'll love it. September will make it 13 years retired for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 45454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:32:34 AM »
Oh how I wish !
Almost anywhere outside of Commiefornia would be a lot better.
The old calibers and guns got the job done
Life-United Prospectors Inc
WARTHOG-The Open Range forums

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »
don't pick them critters up them and their fleas carry the plague.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »
One of the signs of plague is the animals are dead or unhealthy and not from a bullet.  The second is the presence of fleas.  The concern you expressed is well founded, but precautions were taken.  Not all an animals carry fleas with plague.  I can assure you after years of trapping and taking blood samples for the Department of Health I am well aware of the risk and have good idea what to look for. Thanks for the warning anyway.