Author Topic: Titanium, Ultra-Lite, Or Steel?  (Read 892 times)

Offline PawDaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
Titanium, Ultra-Lite, Or Steel?
« on: July 20, 2003, 09:25:24 AM »
I am looking at the Taurus 445.  For those not familiar with this model, it's a five shot ported .44sp snub.  

The local dealer has the titanium and ultra-lite models for 315.00 OTD each.  These are NIB at some kind of special deal/sale by Taurus.  I can get the steel version in stainless for 10 dollars more.  This model is available with a chopped hammer.  It weighs 8-9 ounces more than the other two.

I can't decide which model to get.  I like the light weight models for carry, but I feel that the all steel would be more durable/reliable.  I do not shoot any of my guns nearly as much as most folks do.  I might put 40-50 rounds through them once or twice a month.  Probably less during the hunting season.  So, this gun will be carried alot and shot little.

Which would you chose and why?

Besides the weight/more recoil issue, are there any drawbacks with the ultra-lite and titanium models?
PawDaddy

Offline PawDaddy

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2003, 06:21:46 PM »
cknight98,

I have heard that Taurus has had some problems with their titanium guns, but I don't know about the ultra-lite, which is an alloy gun.  

I'm thinking that the alloy gun might be a safer bet than the titanium.  But, with the lifetime plus warranty that Taurus offers, I guess that I can't really lose.

I may just decide to go with the Ultra-Lite model!
PawDaddy

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
How light
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 04:29:52 AM »
Pawdaddy:  Carried much shot little gives thought to the lightest one you can find, but please remember that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  This means the lighter-weight guns are going to recoil more, which migh effect your ability to shoot it effectively.

You didn't really indicate what you would use this for, personal defense or hunting backup.  In either case, if it's not pleasant to shoot you may not be as effective with it as you would with the steel version.  Just a thought to consider.  Mikey.

Offline PawDaddy

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 06:12:29 AM »
Mikey,

This revolver will be used for concealed carry.  I now carry a .38, but I want something will a little more authority.
PawDaddy

Offline shooter444002

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 02:02:51 PM »
I have been toting a Ultralight 38 for 2 years and have put several thousand rounds through it including over 1000 rounds of +p and have had no trouble at all except for I got the blued gun and all the blueing on the barrel and cylinder is gone from sweating on it.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 12:00:59 AM »
i have a s&w in the liteweight 38/357 and i like carrying it--i do not shoot the 357 but the gun is a great carry and i'm not concerned about the loss of firepower. p.s.--i also carry a 380 auto without any concern.
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage Tactical

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 05:33:52 PM »
Go steel. Remember, weight in a firearm is a good thing. More weight equals less recoil/muzzle rise. This obviously makes the firearm more pleasent and easier to shoot, which makes you more accurate. I wouldn't be all that concerned about the extra weight, this is only 2-3 pounds total weight at most. Since you are not going to practice very much with it, I would suggest finding a 38 special revolver instead. This firearm would be much easier to shoot than a 44 special.

Here is something else to thing about: this thing could save your life one day. Does the lightweight of these titanium/ultralight pistols really worth the extra recoil they produce. Especially since you are not going to practice much with this firearm, you certainly are not going to shoot as well as with a conventional steel pistol. Is your life really worth carring around 8-9 more ounces.