Author Topic: IMR4227  (Read 2060 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
IMR4227
« on: May 20, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
This is about the coolest powder I've seen. 

I've only used the regular ball, flake, and stick powders till now...  This powder is like little tiny beads.  About the perfect powder for throwing if you ask me. 

Now to see if I can gain some consistency I lost with H110...
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline corbanzo

Re: IMR4227
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
One more thing.... anybody load this in .454 casull?  I load 300 grain cast bullets, and am finding about zero information.  Found lots and lots of jacketed information... and cast information for 250 or 350 grain bullets...  but not on the mark.  I was thinking of starting around 26 grains.. and working up toward 28 grains or so. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »
corbanzo

Hodgdons lists a start of 24.7 grains and a max of 25.5 grains for the 325 grain cast so thats were I'd start , starting at 26 would be a bit much .  ;)

IMR4227 has just about replaced Unique as my fav powder , I shoot it in just about everything from 218 Bee to 25/06 in rifles and my 45LC cast loads .
stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »
For whatever reason, I have found IMR4227 to be more accurate than H4227 in many of my appropriate firearms.  Good thing Hodgdon is dropping H4227 in favor of IMR4227....

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:23:59 PM »
I don't know if it would replace unique....  My 45 colt loads are around 8-9 grains, which costs me a lot less than 20 grains of 4227.  Especially since I can get good loads from 9mm all the way up to 500 with unique.

Offline Pharmboy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
I too really like IMR 4227. It is not the best for alot of cartridges but it sure can be loaded into alot of them. I finally had to break down and get IMR 4198 which is pretty close to it but I couldn't find any load info for the .204 Ruger or the 375JDJ.

IMR 4227: Rifles
22 hornet, 223 Rem, 243 Win, 6.8 SPC, 7MM Mag, .308 Win, 35 Whelen, 38-55 Win,  445 Supermag, 45 Colt,  45-70 Gov't, 458 Socom

IMR 4227: Handgun
222 Rem, 38 Special, 357 Mag, 357/44 Bain and Davis, 44 Special, 44 Mag

I'm thinking about getting a 7.62X39 because it too can be loaded with IMR 4227. Oh, the M1 Carbine (30 cal) can also use IMR 4227. So many possibilities!

Reloading is just as much fun as hunting and shooting. I don't push the bullets to max weight or speed I just move up in caliber if I need too.

Pharmboy

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 01:37:30 AM »
there is some confusioin here. Hogdon did not discontinue h4227 what they did was discontinue imr4227 and they are now packaging h4227 as imr4227. That was fine by me as i had just the opposite luck as you and allways had better luck with h4227 espcially in handguns. I had a few loads with imr 4227 that did better in rifles but not enough to worry about it.
For whatever reason, I have found IMR4227 to be more accurate than H4227 in many of my appropriate firearms.  Good thing Hodgdon is dropping H4227 in favor of IMR4227....

blue lives matter

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:08:57 AM »
<snip>they are now packaging h4227 as imr4227.

Hey Lloyd,
I've never tried either 4227 and don't remember even checking out their respective loadings.  But if H4227 is now being sold as IMR4227, what does that do to the already published load data?  They must have been the same powder or at least interchangeable.  So why would one be more accurate then the other?

Hope you're feeling better pal.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 08:11:41 AM »
Excellent powder, I have used it for years!

243 Winchester reduced loads.

I like it in 357 Mag, 44 Mag and 45 Colt.

Most currently 223 Remington pistol loads.

http://www.imrpowder.com/imr4227.html

yooper77

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:50:12 PM »
there is some confusioin here. Hogdon did not discontinue h4227 what they did was discontinue imr4227 and they are now packaging h4227 as imr4227.

From the horse's mouth:

The product name H 4227 has been discontinued. All future lots of IMR 4227 will be manufactured by ADI in Australia. It will look about the same as the old IMR 4227 but will have the advantage of being unaffected by changes in temperature like the Hodgdon line of Extruded Powders.  Within the next year or so ADI will also begin manufacturing IMR 4198. It of course will also be unaffected by changes in temperature. To the best of my knowledge H4198 in it's current form will continue in the Hodgdon Line.

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 02:23:51 AM »
I think its a matter of lot numbers more then anything. I dont think if a guy stuck to published load data hed have to worry a bit about considering them interchangeable. I know there not exactly the same as imr looks black and h is a lighter colar. Probably just a differnt chemical used for a coating. I got my info from a response to an email send to them by me personaly and have tried the new stuff and my loads seem to work out the same. Even using the same powders a guy should never take things for granted. Ive seen big swings in burning rates with powders like 110 and 296 which are also suppose to be the same powders. If you are the type that ignores loading manuals or pushes things to the limit youd best be watch lot numbers when you buy a new jug of powder. Ive seen where guys thought there gun was wearing out because accuracy went to hell when all it was is they bought a new jug of powder and the burning rate was enough different to effect accuracy. Its another reason that a guy should have a chronogragh. When you switch powder lots a couple rounds across the screan will instantly tell you if your going to need to do some tuning.
blue lives matter

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 04:55:20 AM »
<snip>Its another reason that a guy should have a chronograph. When you switch powder lots a couple rounds across the screen will instantly tell you if your going to need to do some tuning.

True on both counts!  When chronographs became readily available and I got one it added a whole other dimension to hand loading.  I cannot imagine being with out one.  Now, if they would just perfect that personal PSI O'meter!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »
it did an outstanding job in my657. i've got loads for the 41, 44 special ,44mag and i believe 357 ,hopefully i'll get to shoot tomorrow. luckily i got the better part of a keg left of the
older imr4227. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Pharmboy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
I do not have a chronograph but it won't be long. Since you have to reduce the loads with the relatively fast burning IMR 4227 for use with the  rifle calibers that I shoot and  it is very complicated to get chamber pressures (psi), a chronograph seems like the next logical progression for me. How fast is toooo fast?

Pharmboy

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »
Speed has nothing to do with pressure.  Good reliable data is the only way to know.  I have used pressure signs to tell me when I go above max loads.... but I am willingly accepting the danger that I know exists.  Don't use your chrono to work up loads. 

I try and get up to certain speeds with loads...  I am a "chaser" but I don't let the speeds tell me what is dangerous, if I feel a certain load will not get up to a speed with that powder safely, then I stop right there. 

A chrono is a good tool to tell you the energy of your load, the trajectory, and the consistancy.... but that is about it.  Not the pressure or safety of it. 

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »
ill argue that a little. what a chrono will show you is when using slow pistol powders and backing off loads you will get to a point where standard deviation shows inconsistant burning of the powder. it will also do the same when increasing charges as most powders will actually start showing very little increase in velocity when pressures get to high. It will also show you what efffects switching primers or bullet seating dept have on your load or warn you if a new lot of powder has a different burning rate then the previous one. If i have a load with a powder that has been pushing say a 250 grain bullet to 1200 fps and suddenly im getting 1400 with a new batch i know instantly that im probably running to high of pressure and will back off on my load.  Your absolutely right that nobody should be trying to use one to push the envelope on published data as there surely not pressure measures and by the time you have any pressure indicating signs your allready in dangerous teritory but ive seen where pressure signs have showed up on a chrono before i had outward signs like flattened primers. ANYONE who loads ammo without a loading manual and also anyone who trys to push the envelope and load hotter then a loading manual needs there head examined!! But ive seen cases where even published data is way to warm for an individual gun and a chronograph is one instrument that can be used by a loader to get a little advanced warning that something isnt right.
blue lives matter

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 09:33:03 PM »
Well... I could say that does make sense to a point... but I have also had the opposite, where I was getting inconsistant speeds with H-110, but then upon compressing some on max and above loads, they seemed to even out a little more... but I guess that is only one powder for an example.