Author Topic: Gun Club  (Read 1300 times)

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Gun Club
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
Checked on a gun club today, much closer to my house, than the range i am using. $8.00 per session
$260.00 to join, that includes $35.00  to join NRA $75.00 Monthly dues, and i forget what else.
They have meetings once a month, have work days couple times per month.
What are clubs like in your neck of the woods?
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Gun Club
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
That makes me appreciate being able to shoot on my own land all the more. Being able to leave my gun on the bench and walk a few steps to reload more shells is handy too.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
Okay Rex, the dues are $75 a month!?  :o

Makes me feel better about my club.  Don't know what it costs to join now, they went up.  When I joined it was $500 to join and $200 annual dues.  The annual dues are now $300 so I imagine the initiation fee is more also.

http://www.rbgc.org/
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
The Watonwan county game and fish club charges $10 a year for dues and $5 for a gate key. We have concrete benches under  steel canopy. We have a 100 yard range and a 300 yard range. The low cost involved comes from that we have some tillable acres where we get an income from farm rent and everything for the rifle range was donated by locals. My father formed and poured the bench rests and built the shelters. My friend who owned the concrete company donated the concrete. My fathers cousin donated the wood and steel for the shelters. There is also a trap range there that has two automatic traps. We have people from many miles around become members because we have such low rates and such a nice range.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »
I shoot at a very exclusive club with a very limited membership. The fellow who runs the place is an gray headed old fart who is kinda ornery at times but we get along pretty well. The best thing is it's real close for me only about 25 yards from my garage/loading room so in a pinch I can reload another few of the ammo I was shooting if need be. No dues just the house payments and I have to do the grass cutting and don't even get paid to do it.

There is a state run range about 25 miles away no dues just gotta have a state hunting license to shoot there. It's next door to the skeet range where I shoot. Now we do have dues at the skeet range I think it's $50 a year now if I recall correctly and $3 per round to shoot skeet which goes to cover the cost of targets and repairs on the machines and such.

I've not shot at the public range run by the state in years no need with a 100 yard range in my back yard.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 05:29:34 PM »
We pay $100.00 a year and we have just over 300 members at the outdoor range I belong to. We have unlimited access to the range and club house.  We are supported by NRA and members must be NRA members.  We can either work on the range and put 10 hours in a year or pay I believe $60 to the club. A great deal for a great range.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »
Right behind my crew quarters building under a shooting gazebo is a 100 and 200 meter range on my property.  The mountain behind the house makes for a very good backdrop.  It rains or mists a lot here, so the covered and 1/2 walled gazebo is nice.  Like Graybeard the owner of the club is a bit cranky at times and during his shooting sessions doesn't like to be disturbed by crew members.  I'm retired, they aren't.  LOL
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 02:12:38 AM »
Private club. Invitation only. One covered shooting position to 100 yards.  Reloading room, gun repair shop and locker nearby.  Range out to 250 yards off club house porch.  Dues are free but sweat equity includes grass mowing, fruit tree trimming, and sundry other upkeep.

Offline jhm

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:16:25 AM »
Like Bill and some of the others have stated, NO DUES anymore as it is all paid for just some casual clean-up after several hours of shooting a few times a year with close friends, I dont use it as often as I used to but have shot coyotes out to 880 yds all luck I guess and have shot some wild hogs at the same distance at sons feeder off of the deck on the house, it was freat a fresh hot cup of coffee and plenty of ammo for the Win. 270 SM any how a decent sized club house 30X45 Morton building with 10 foot walls to be able to swing a golf club in the off season plenty of room for some mounts and of course a loading bench and the wifes Bow Flex that she says I need to use, I tell her when I see her loading me some ammo I will use the Bow flex to impress her.   JIM

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 03:18:04 AM »
local gravel pit.  free.   

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
their are some other clubs around that i think i will check into, this one does have a 200 yard range
that i don't have where i shoot now, i may have read the sign wrong on the $75.00 per month
seems kinda high compared to what people here are saying.  ::)
Rex

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 10:02:27 AM »
Private club, membership limited to 1000 people.......cost is $125 per year and it's a 10 minute drive from the house.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
Gypsum shooting Park, Gypsum Colorado. $50 annual membership, $50 work bond. 6 trap houses, one skeet range, one sporting clays range (built by the boyscouts), rifle range with backboards to 200 yd and gongs to 400, life size elk, deer and coyote steel targets, 6 station SASS range, pistol range, archery range (built by the 4H kids). Weekly 22 silhouette shoots, trap shoots, monthly SASS and IIDPA events, ATA shoots during the summer, Elk Foundation shoots and what ever else someone will organize. During the summer we have an on site host. On town property with the full support of the town including money. Open to the general public at select times.  And I can still find range time where I'm the only one there. Best deal in America. Come visit!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »
$35 a year and you have to be a NRA member. Locked gate except when a match is going on and anyone can come in. 25 to 400 yard rifle range.with covered firing line. 6 pistol bays with a shade in each. About 20 miles from the house. Locked rest rooms that open with your gate key. Bring your own drinking water and a lot of it in the summer. It gets hot here.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 04:29:09 AM »
I was mistaken (imagine that) about the dues they are $75.00 a year.
this club is about 4 miles from down town Ft. Worth, and about 6-7 miles from my house
50yd-100yd-200yd rifle anything over a 100yds around here unless you drive 50 miles or more.

not sure about pistol, they have ranges
seems you have to have a key to most every thing
the place i am shooting now gets pretty crowded on week ends, and hard as they try some times their
is a little too much BS, they warn once then you are out, should not have to warn jmo.
seems like a nice place, will try to join, I say try because you have to go to a meeting and be approved by the members. will probably have to wear some duct tape that nite
Rex

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 01:41:54 AM »
I pay $175 yearly for a family membership, but I get $50 knocked off that by participating in spring and fall clean up crews so it's actually $125 anually....everyone in my family shoots guns and archery. We got a great set up here with a trout pond, a trap field, 2 outdoor ranges (a 50 yard rifle/pistol range and a 100+ yard 20 position covered rifle range), an outdoor 60 yard archery range and a 50ft indoor pistol range that I have access to 24-7-365...I work midnights so this comes in handy on my days off. I get it all to myself ;)
http://www.capeannsportsmansclub.org/

Rex,
I haven't seen a club that doesn't have it's members approve of you 1st.... when I joined I had to stand up in front of everyone and give a speach about myself and why I wanted to join....Geez I felt like I was a kid in school giving an oral report in front of the class ???
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Online gypsyman

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 02:06:20 AM »
Club I belong to is $50 a year, with 10 work hours. They charge $50 for the work hours up front, but you'll get a rebate as soon as the works hours are documented. There is a one time grounds fee of $50 to new members, to help pay for equipment,mowers and the like. Nice thing about the club, is, pretty easy going, as they know it's hard for some shooters to come up with $150 all at once, so they'll space it out over the year. Our monthly meetings are the first Monday of the month, so most new members pay $20-$25 at a time, and it's easier on their pocket too!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline powderman

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »
HEH. Makes my backyard look good. No dues, just shoot. POWDERMAN.  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 07:40:27 AM »
Being retired military I shoot skeet at Ft Wainwright, I think it's $4.50 a round.  As for shooting rifles and handguns, the Borough runs a range in Fairbanks, but it is limited to 300 yards.  When I want to shoot I just drive out onto the Tanana riverbed.  The river bed at that location is about two miles wide.  And across the river is a big impact area, ran by the army.  This area is totally off limits to everyone, so it is safe to shoot that way.  That area is the impact area for the Cannons, and Howitzers, the artillery troops use.  Unexploded ordnance everywhere, No one will go out there, unless he's got a death wish.  Plus the Army's rifle ranges all shoot in that direction also.  We can set up and shoot as far as we want to.  I've got targets set up at 50, 100, 200, 400, 600, 800, 1,000, 1,200, and 1,500 yards.  Can make for an interesting day out there.

My neighbor goes out there everyday and shoots four rounds with his .338 RUM.  Checks his target then goes home and reloads those rounds for tomorrow.  He is currently working at 600 yards.  His goal is to reach the 1,500 yard target consistently.  I'm working at 1,000, but I am not consistent there yet.  I'm only consistent out to 800 now.  Beyond 800 is becoming elusive, not sure I will ever get there.   
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 02:40:12 AM »
Sourdough, maybe you should consider cutting back on coffee and TV for a while? Those distances are a bit too much(to be ethical) for me? I know they show this stuff on TV but, is it realistic or practical?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline no guns here

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »
check on 6mmbr.com to see what it realistic and practical... some really small groups coming in at 600-1000 meters...  realistic is whatever you want it to be, so is practical.  Sourdough didn't say anything about hunting at that distance just shooting targets.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:57 PM »
Gun club dues---161 per year.
Three long gun ranges, 4 handgun ranges, archery, skeet, trap.
Long range is fun, or I think it would be, and trying is about as much fun as things go---sure better than reading about or watching.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:21 AM »
 As with GB and others..my gun club is down in the woods on an old logging trail..range master is a gray headed old cuss with a handlebar mustache ! His close friends
  and grandchildren are "privileged guests". Dues ? No dues but if I figure the land taxes as dues..they are right up there !...LOL
   Two clubs in my area..one 3 miles away the other 5 miles. I did belong to one a few years ago..$12 annual dues the other I understand is $30. Most "gun clubs" in
  this area seem to concentrate on trap shooting with a little skeet thrown in. I am primarily a rifleman..so if I use the rifle facilities..I am an "off to one side" range user.
   Both clubs have clubhouses that are available to members for parties, weddings etc. for a small fee and available on a first come basis.
    No fences, no gates..but someone is usually at the $12 club..although the privacy of both clubs seem to be respected...I have not seen interlopers using the ranges.
   Probably closest neighbors are keeping a watchful eye !
      Since I live in a rural area, comparisons with clubs in a more populous setting wouldn't be quite fair....
        Rex..since you are in a built-up area near a major city, $75 doesn't seem to be out of line ! There may be other benefits involved, such as grounds & facilities being
     available for personal use for a reasonable fee (depends upon club) .
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)