Author Topic: CVA Wolf for a Stub?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline huntnfish08

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA Wolf for a Stub?
« on: May 21, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
I hear a lot of people saying the Wolf and Optima Elite are basically the same rifle. The OE is switch barrel capable, including rifle barrels.

So is the wolf's frame strong enough to use for a stub gun conversion? Would the firing pin be a problem? Action strength?

Would like to know as I have a Wolf laying around that I could use for my 17AH stub build..

Thanks guys,
Adam

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: CVA Wolf for a Stub?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »
Similar in design, but they aren't the same strength and material, that's why and OE barrel won't fit a Wolf frame, to prevent a serious mishap with a CF barrel on a Wolf.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline huntnfish08

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »
So the Wolf is to the optima pro what the SB1 is to the SB2 action?

Offline huntnfish08

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »
I found the answer to my question.

From CVAs FAQ website
6. Will my CVA break action muzzleloader accept center fire barrels?   
Answer: The Optima Elite is the only CVA model that will accept centerfire barrels. All other models are strictly muzzleloaders and only have the ability to interchange between .45 cal, .50 cal and 12 Gauge muzzleloading barrels only. Note: Attempting to modify any muzzleloader only model to fit an Optima Elite centerfire barrel will void any and all warranties, is extremely dangerous and illegal.

Offline Empty Pockets

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »
DON'T do it!  The older Optima and Wolf rifles were steel, but not heat treated to withstand the pressures of the centerfire's open chamber (in other words, the pressures are held in the muzzeloader barrel by the breechplug, the centerfire is not).  Newer Optima and Wolf rifles are a high-strength aluminum, but still nothing you should put a cartridge into.  And, there is always the legal ramifications of creating a firearm from a "non-firearm".