Author Topic: Burris Scopes-Black Diamond-Signature?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
  • Avid Poster
Burris Scopes-Black Diamond-Signature?
« on: July 20, 2003, 12:09:29 PM »
I won a coupon at a trappers event yesterday that will give me 60% off any scope I choose from Burris. I went to their website and found some scopes they are clearing out and am looking at a Black Diamond 3x-12x50mm with the ballistic mildot reticle. With my coupon I can get this shipped to my house for $262. Does anyone own a Black Diamond who cares to comment on its quality? They also have some nice looking Signatures that I can get for a great price too, anyone use these? Thanks to all!

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 01:14:17 PM »
I have a Burris Signature 1.5x6 and I really like it. Burris scopes have a reputation for durability. I have read some complaints about quality control with Burris scopes but I have no complaints so far. I've used my scope two seasons. If I had to do it over I would buy the scope again. I also have a Pentax 2x8 and Pentax scopes are made by Burris or so I've been told. It sounds like you can get a great deal. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 02:08:13 PM »
Congrats, foxcaller.  I guess the first thing you need to ask yourself is, do I want a 1" or 30mm tube.  The Black Diamonds are 30mm tube which is going to add a little in weight along with extra expense for 30mm rings.  The Burris scopes have top notch optics and coatings, but have also heard of some quality control problems.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

Re: Burris Scopes-Black Diamond-Signature?
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 05:13:01 AM »
Quote from: foxcaller
I won a coupon at a trappers event yesterday that will give me 60% off any scope I choose from Burris. I went to their website and found some scopes they are clearing out and am looking at a Black Diamond 3x-12x50mm with the ballistic mildot reticle. With my coupon I can get this shipped to my house for $262. Does anyone own a Black Diamond who cares to comment on its quality? They also have some nice looking Signatures that I can get for a great price too, anyone use these? Thanks to all!

Foxcaller,

I have this EXACT SAME SCOPE mounted on my .338.  Actually, mine is the regular duplex reticle, not mil-dot, but is otherwise identical.

The optics are very clear, the adjustments and tracking was perfect, and I am overall very happy with it.

The primary difference between the Black Diamond and the Signature is that the BD has a 30mm tube.  The BD is built like a TANK!!  I would recommend the BD over the Signature!  And if you can get it for under $300.....well, let's just say that I am VERY envious because I paid ALOT more than that!!

Zachary

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 04:01:18 PM »
:D I've got a Burris 3 to 9 Signature. It's an all right scope but I wouldn't get another. If I was in your shoes I would go for the Black Diamond. I love my Burris handgun scope.Burris makes good scopes and I like them better than Nikons but less than Leopolds.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 04:46:02 AM »
foxcaller,

Did you every make a decision as to which scope to get?

Zachary

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
scope
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 01:25:33 PM »
Yes, I did but Burris called me back and told me I could not order from their Ecommerce retail store and I have to use their MSRP list to order from. The prices on this list are so high  I could not afford a higher end scope even with the 60% off.  Not sure why this is as the coupon I have says I can order any scope or binocular for listed retail price. The website describes their Ecommerce site as a retail outlet for one of a kind, discontinued or otherwise unique items so I am not sure what gives. I was hoping to score a high end scope I could not otherwise afford but it does not look like that is going to happen. I did send an email to them asking them for some more explanation but that was several days ago and I haven't heard back yet. I guess it was too good to be true! I do have a friend who won the same coupon last year and he was able to order from the website no problem. I'm gonna wait a few more days and if I don't hear from them I guess I will just get one of their lower end scopes that are in my price range or maybe offer it for sale to someone who has more money to spend than I do.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2003, 04:11:14 AM »
I would fight 'em on this! :evil:

Just to let you know, Burris is notorious for having the highest MRSPs on scopes.  Have you ever looked at, say, their Mt. T scopes?  They have an MSRP of about $2000, yet most people sell them for about $1,100 or a bit less.  As such, Burris' MRSP are WAY OUT OF WHACK!  (Actually, I guess, at least to some degree, the same could be said about Bushnell and Leupold, but still.... :roll: )  As such, if Burris says 60% off MSRP, then you are really only getting only 10% off.

Burris has horrible customer service.  Whenever I email them, their responses are ALWAYS evasive.  Although I am not a huge fan of Leupold, there is no denying that Leupold has the BEST customer service.  Burris could learn a thing or two from Leupold.

If Burris wants you (and us) to be happy, then tell them to "interpret" the "retail" price just like they did with your friend.

Zachary

Offline foxcaller

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Service
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2003, 05:15:25 AM »
Exactly! It sounds like you at least get them to respond, I have not received any response to my email! I really am not interested in "fighting" them on this as there are too many other choices in products out there for me to waste my time. If they follow up on this (which I doubt they will) I will be happy to try out one of their scopes but I won't "beg" or "argue" with them to convince them to take my money! I have not been real impressed with their service or willingness to get and keep my business. I do own 3 Burris handgun scopes that I love and have had no trouble with but I guess they have no interest in solidifiying me as a Burris customer. Not a huge deal but the experience so far turns me off to them that's for sure and I will most likely pass on their products in favor of others in the future. Customer service is defintely not high on their list of marketing strategies!

Offline Zachary

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 11:44:22 AM »
I know that Beretta recently bought Burris.  Beretta has good service, but I guess that it hasn't exactly been implemented on their "Burris" side. :roll:

Zachary