Author Topic: 300 Yard Revolver Shooting  (Read 1216 times)

Offline TEXXAS

• Trade Count: (0)
300 Yard Revolver Shooting
« on: May 21, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »
Take a look and tell me what yall think. I have had a few "shooters" at work and other places call B.S. on me when I talk about long range shooting with my handguns. I did a five part video on the "how to" of long-range iron sight revolver shooting. Let me know is it "good" "bad" or "ugly".
                                                                        Thanks Chad

http://www.youtube.com/texasfivegun

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: 300 Yard Revolver Shooting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »
Good video, your not alone. People have called BS on my ability to hit a gallon milk jug at 200 yards with a old but very accurate S&W k-15 38 spl. A good gun and a good shooter can get a lot accomplished!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:50:41 PM »
A buddy and I used to shoot our 9mm's at 300 and put them on the rifle targets.  We didn't shoot for groups or anything back then.  We just considered it a miracle to get them to hit the paper 3 or 4 out of 10.  I have absolutely no doubt that it can be done.  If I were gonna shoot that far now I rather use my T/C but then again... shootin's fun... might have to try that again next time I'm home on leave.

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:44:02 AM »
I believe it, I used to take my 380 and shoot the 200 yard gong with it.  My 460 goes it with little effort at all.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 02:18:39 AM »
Chad:  C'mon man, call'em on it.  Make a party out of it.  Everybody shoots, someone buys the beer and dogs, someone cooks, everybody has a good time - but everybody shoots.  If you have any non-magnum calibers that an inexperienced shooter could use and possibly hit at 300, it would be a super plus for you.  

The last time I did that was years ago and it wasn't summertime.  It was the dead of an upstate NY winter and it was bitter.  I was developing a wildcat cartridge for my 1911 and shootin' silly-wets with it and none of my friends or co-workers could believe I was hittin' - and knockin'em down - at 200m with a 1911.  

I made arrangements for additional shooters with the range monster, brought along spare ammo, coffee and hot dogs and those who came along had a great time.  Even got myself a convert - that is I converted him from a non-believer to a believer.  

Had a ball years ago with a couple of Browning P-35s with tangent sights.  We were shootin' ball ammo at a large quarry pond in the middle of nowhere and elevating the sights to get our distances.  You would be surprised at the elevation it takes to send a 9mm round from a short barrel out to 4-500m.  We took some light colored balloons, inflated them and dropped them in the water and then went back a couple of hundred yards and tried to hit them.  Those old Brownings were pretty accurate at longer ranges but we managed to pop only one balloon - hit a couple and skipped them a bit but popped only one.  

Truth is buddy, ya can't take non-believer statements seriously especially when they are unwilling to witness something contrary.  Ya have to consider the source.  Whenever someone says 'bs' to me I always offer to show him or her that it is not 'bs'.  I also tell them that if they do not wish to witness a demonstration that counters their statement and offers proof to the contrary I can understand their cowardly wimping and lack of manly willingness, and leave the offer open...............it usually works.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 02:23:44 AM »
The guy is good.
I did note the gun has no scope but then again the target appears to be about 4' square with a 1' white square painted on it.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:23:52 AM »
one day I was on the 200 yd line. An observer walked over and asked what I was doing. I said shooting bowling pins. The only pin visible was 200 yd away. He said    ' BS a 45 won't shoot that far'.  So, I raised my Colt 1911 .45 and fired, knocking the last pin over. He shook his head, walked back to the 100 yd line. You could see him talking to guys there, gesturing and pointing at the 200 yd berm and at me. And thus my legend was born :)
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 07:19:55 AM »
That is impressive to say the least. You say in the video that you pulled that last shot to the left. I still heard an impact though. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:45:53 AM »
A couple of years ago at a private range in Maryland...  I also had an guy lookin' at me like I was crazy for pullin' my Springfield Compact .45 out and bustin' clays off the berm at 50 yards.  He said "Where'd you learn to shoot like that?"  I said, "all ya' gotta do is line up the sights and hold a little high".  Of course I was shooting from a bench.  Not like a 50 yard shot from a bench is any problem at all anyway.  But just for show I stood up an tried a couple from a modified weaver stance.  Best two shots of my life...  He was walkin' away muttering something about "un-freaking believable" or something to that effect...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
No Guns, don't you love it when you do something totally amazing, and someone is watching? I LOVE IT
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »
Good shootin' Chad. I'm sure glad some folks can do that. I'm lucky to see a tree at 300 yards, let alone a target! I couldn't see what you were shootin' at, but I sure heard the impact. For me to hear that is pretty good, too!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 03:08:54 AM »
Bob Mundon was on a tv show a while back shooting balloons at 500 yds with a 44 with a 2' barrel. It took a couple of shots to get drop and wind(he was shooting in a dusty canyon and shots were easy to mark) but then he shot 4 in a row.  He also played golf with a 45 colt.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 03:10:13 AM »
I mrant to say 2 inch barrel above.

Offline TEXXAS

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »
DALESCARPENTRY - Yes the sights were to the left when the shot broke. I think I hit the target frame.

Chad

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
First observation, he's not wearing eye protection, can't see in his ears to see if any hearing protection is being worn?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »
I do recall him wearing hearing protection in one of the videos for sure. Give me a break on the eye protection thing. That is up to him. He is not making a safety video. If he chose to ride his bike down the road without a helment that is also up to him. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline TEXXAS

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 05:21:28 AM »
S.B. - I have custom molded ear plugs in and I use plugs and or muffs unless I am hunting. I normally use safety glasses but did not because of the low sun behind me and the long range.

Chad

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 11:28:20 PM »
Cool videos.  I have not tried 300 but did a little bit of 200, something about shooting that far with a hand gun is intriguing.