Author Topic: Bullet drop compensation  (Read 815 times)

Offline lilabner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Bullet drop compensation
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:39:33 AM »
I am interested in scopes that provide for bullet drop compensation. The scope would be used for hunting plains game where long shots are common. There are several different systems available, including one where you order the scope by providing the velocity and ballistic coefficient of the specific load you will be using. Most of the systems clutter the reticle with rings, lines etc. The system that looks good to me comes with interchangeable elevation turrets to handle different cartridge/bullet combinations, e.g. .270 Winchester 150 gr. To use it, you range the target, dial in the range and shoot. The reticle is uncluttered. Which system is the most reliable and easiest to use?

Offline Catfish

Re: Bullet drop compensation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 08:34:31 AM »
I have never had one of the fancy radicals. I just use standard cross hairs and dial in the elevation. I have been thinking about marking the turrets on the scope with the yardages. One thing I believe in is to check the math on the range. The last load I worked on was 2 clicks low at 600 yrds. ( abt 3 in.) That was still good enough for a coyote, but I felt better once I corrected my drop chart.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:57:05 PM »
Leatherwood scopes
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 02:12:49 AM »
I prefer mil dots. You shoot your load at the distances you anticipate and note which mil dot you are at. You can also use them as a rough range finders to estimate distances. If you know the chest height of your target then you know how much distance between the dots...Of course you will have to do all of your work on the same power. Say 12X at 500 yards, 8X at 300, etc. Changing powers changes the distances between the mil dots. This may to complicated for your needs. If you have a quality scope that will repeat clicks reliably, then dialing in the clicks works well too. I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 tactical that works very well for this purpose. I use the mil dots for range estimation then either dial in the clicks or use the mil dots for elevation. It is a straight 10X has target turrets and mil dots. The system you are talking about will work, but you are tied to the same bullet load all of the time. If you always stick the the same one, you are good to go, but if you decide to change bullet weights or construction, it is out the window. With mil dots or clicks you can re shoot your new load and adjust which mil dot to use or the number of clicks you use. If you shoot your rifle often, it is not as complicated as it sounds, if you shoot it in frequently, remembering the settings can be a hassle, but you can also record them on a card. I change mine too much to be tied into one set system. Way back in the early 80's I had a Bushnell with bullet compensating turrets. They had three turrets that were for general categories. They also came with a blank turret. You zeroed your rifle in at 100 yards and zeroed the turret. You then shot at different ranges and then marked the turret to your rifle/load. I tried it, but it was a hassle to me. Once I changed loads, every thing was out the window. Of course you could have bought more blank turrets and have one for each load you shoot, but then you have all of these turrets to keep track of and had to re zero each time you changed loads at 100 yards. I still have the scope, but I just basically use it as a regular scope. It is just too good of a scope to be discarded. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.