Author Topic: Scope mounting question  (Read 435 times)

Offline winfan

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope mounting question
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »
I picked up a Burris Short Mag Scope today to mount on a Win. Model 70 short action (LH featherweight 270 wsm).  I tried mounting it with weaver bases & rings, but the scope tube is too short to fit between the rings.  Any other options for mounting?   I've looked through my Midway catalog, but didn't really see anything else that looked like it would work.  Can't figure this out - I thought these scopes were meant especially for short magnum rifles.  Sorry if this is a stupid question but being mostly an iron-sighted lever action guy, this stuff is kinda new to me.  I can get back to the dealer next week, but I was hoping to load some ammo over the holiday and try it out.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Scope mounting question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Have you looked at off-set rings?
Mark

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 02:43:39 AM »
You'll most likely need at least a singe-offset (one offset ring, one normal), and maybe a double-offset (both rings offset), ring set to mount those short-tube scopes.

Some Weaver bases, however, are non-concentric - have you tried reversing one (or both) of your bases, if you can gain some space(get the bases closer together) by doing so ?  You might have to sacrifice some access to the top of the mag well with the bolt back, but maybe you can at least shoot it.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline winfan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 05:54:44 AM »
OK, what are offset rings?  I'm assuming they have the ring offset from the mounting base?  Do they make them for weaver bases?
 I did see a Picatinny-style base that looks like it would offer some more mounting room, wonder if that would work.

I did notice that the weaver bases were offset, but I already had them both turned to get the least distance between them.

Mike