Author Topic: Getting my .30-06 Handi-rifle squared away  (Read 1501 times)

Offline gschwertley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Getting my .30-06 Handi-rifle squared away
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »
Well, a few years ago I was at a gunshow and it was one of those times when I had walked the entire show twice and nothing had tempted me to buy it.  I was about to leave, and noticed a scuzzy NEF Handi-rifle in .30-06 for sale.  Bubba had sanded the stock down to bare wood, and in so doing sanded away some of the detail of the wood.  Bubba had wanted a hammer extension, but wasn't patient enough to wait for the correct one.  He took one that didn't fit and ground away on the hammer until it did.  I worked, but looked bad.  The rifle also had an ugly Norinco scope on it that I figured was garbage.  I bought this rifle for $115 and it sat in a safe for a good long time before I took it out to see if it would shoot well.  At the time I bought it, I remember thinking, "That's one way to get a .30-06 barrel."  When I did get it out to the range, I found that it was reasonably accurate but I still hated the way it looked.   Once properly zeroed, the Norinco scope turned out to be okay.

Since I retired last year, I planned on doing something with this rifle.  Lately, I finally got around to it.  I had planned to send the frame back to the NEF factory and have them replace the hammer.  After reading about the procedure on this GBO and another place online, I decided to tackle it myself.  After all, I've overhauled automobile engines successfully, so the hammer job couldn't be too tough.

I thought about buying a new hammer for it.  However, I decided to use stuff already on hand.  I had a 12 ga. NEF shotgun that I picked up at the gunshow for $40, but it had a crudely sawed off barrel.  I've used a couple of other barrels on it, but I decided to sell one of those recently.  So I sold the stock set, and used the hammer out of the sawed-off shotgun in the .30-06 Handi-rifle.  Now I just have the frame/receiver left over and maybe will use it for a paperweight.

To replace the ruined original stocks, I placed a WTB ad on the GBO site and one of our fellows is selling me a take-off Monte Carlo stock set that is surplus to his needs. 

Tonight I installed the replacement hammer in the Handi-rifle, it works and all is well.  Now I just have to wait for the stock set to get here and the project will be finished. 

.30-06 Handi-rifle with original sanded-down stock to be replaced.

Handi-rifle receiver with new hammer installed, resting on home made disassembly jig.

Donor shotgun frame after partial disassembly.

Offline ArkyKen

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: Getting my .30-06 Handi-rifle squared away
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »
Hey,I am impressed.Did you do a little trigger massage while you had it opened up? I have always wondered why the hammer is not drilled n tapped so the extension can be set  with  lock-tite.Might cut down on extension sales.
When all those around you fail to measure up, it is time for a new measuring stick !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »
The hammer can be drilled and tapped after annealing the spur, see the low profile hammer mods in the FAQs. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gschwertley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:41 PM »
No, I didn't do anything to the trigger pull while I was in there.  I didn't want to press my luck, and after I had all the pins in (but not seated) I tried it out a few times and it seemed reasonable.  I kinda wondered how it would be, since I used the existing trigger, not the one that was matched up with the donor hammer.  I'm not real interested in super-light triggers; on a couple of my fancier commercial rifles, once in a while at the range, I will let off a premature shot due to light trigger.  Too much shooting of clunky, two-stage military triggers, I guess.

The really important issue is making and using a slave pin to get the trigger back in.  Without it, you could be playing around with it hit and miss for some time.

When it's necessary to do so, I don't know what method they use to take these apart at the factory.  I took note of the disassembly jigs that have been shown on this forum and kinda made one up along that line.  When I took the parts out of the donor shotgun receiver, I thought I would try something a little different.  Using only the bottom section of the jig, I tapped the pins with a hard plastic tip hammer.  This started them on their way and got the heads just below the surface of the receiver wall so I could then take a pin and drive them out.  Using this method, I didn't need the upper section of my jig.  I don't anticipate taking one of these apart again any time soon, but if I do, I will use this latter method again.  As often happens in life, different solutions work equally well for different people.

I have hammer extensions on three of my NEF's and have never had an issue with the factory hammer extension lock screw loosening up.   I've never used Loctite on them.

Offline striker525

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
is there directions on here for making the Jigs?

That's pretty wood you got for it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:27:17 AM »
See the trigger job links info in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain